Sucker For Great Bass - Your Go To Track

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Fandango Andy

I'm such a sucker for a great bass line / player in a track and it also compliments a great HiFi setup.

Doesn't have to be full on / pounding in your face, sometimes the subtle licks / fills up the fret board are the best.

Was just listening to Nikita by Elton John which is amazing and whilst trying to set a Sub crossover the other day stumbled across - Nights on Broadway ... The Candi Station version which I hadn't heard for years.

Other faves in my past have been Paul Young's bass player Pino Palladino and Paul McCartney / Wings - Silly Love Songs has a great bassline that almost drives the song / gives it it's melody.

Would really love to hear others suggestions for tracks with great bass lines / players as it can so often contributes to the overall feel of a song but also sounds amazing when played through a half decent system.
Crescent by John Coltrane with Jimmy Garrison on double Bass and Elvin Jones on drums.

Last edited:

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Not so much a track as it is two together 😉

Mixing two hard house records together whilst matching the beats with a tiny overlap does it for me.
If I'm feeling specifically bass hungry I will ride the bass knob on the mixer at the same time.
🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪🤪

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I've heard worse singers than Stevie, can only be honest and say that, to me, E. Costello is one of them 🙂....(I saw E.C. live in the 70s as part of the Stiff records tour....but I was paid to be there).
As is always said, "each to their own" 👍
True, each to their own👍.
EC at Liverpool Philharmonic, in the 80's, during "The Only Flame in Town" his voice brought me to tears
Very emotional impact.
I always say my fave instrument is the human voice

Reactions: Gray

Witterings

Back to bass
Almost anything by Rush 😁

It's strange, I'm a drummer and Neil Peart is absolutely amazing but it was a band I just never got into apart from their obvious hits .... going to go and listen to some more.

Marilion's bass player is great and Phil Collins bass player Daryl Strimmer is brilliant .... although Mike Rutherford in Genesis is no slouch either!

Elton John's bass player is the unsung hero as well (Nikita is amazing ... think I mentioned it at the start of the thread), watching his Glastonbury goodbye and the camera was never on him ... but his amazing bass playing was always there.

Witterings

I always say my fave instrument is the human voice

I agree this is true to such a large degree and vocals are the core ingerdient ... I think bass can be the salt / spice that isn't the main dish but can take it from bland and flavourless to give it a real kick.
It's the subtle bit that goes on in the background that can add so much unsung flavour, my wife listens to an overall sound and doesn't seperate the instruments.
Me being a musician listens to every individual instrument. She'll say she really likes a track but may not realise it's the drums / bass and everything else going on that gives the song a feel ... not just the vocals,

There are also several thousand instrumental only tracks, I'm definitely not disagreeing with you but it's not just about the vocals.

Reactions: jonboywalton75

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
It's strange, I'm a drummer and Neil Peart is absolutely amazing but it was a band I just never got into apart from their obvious hits .... going to go and listen to some more.

Marilion's bass player is great and Phil Collins bass player Daryl Strimmer is brilliant .... although Mike Rutherford in Genesis is no slouch either!

Elton John's bass player is the unsung hero as well (Nikita is amazing ... think I mentioned it at the start of the thread), watching his Glastonbury goodbye and the camera was never on him ... but his amazing bass playing was always there.
I once agreed with a mate that Xanadu by Rush was a song that contained almost every element of prog.
If you're into that sort of thing 👍

Reactions: Witterings

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site

As you are a Drummer, 2 Rush tracks that I can recommend off hand are Anthem and One Little Victory
I think you'll be impressed 👍

Reactions: Witterings

jonboywalton75

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
I agree this is true to such a large degree and vocals are the core ingerdient ... I think bass can be the salt / spice that isn't the main dish but can take it from bland and flavourless to give it a real kick.
It's the subtle bit that goes on in the background that can add so much unsung flavour, my wife listens to an overall sound and doesn't seperate the instruments.
Me being a musician listens to every individual instrument. She'll say she really likes a track but may not realise it's the drums / bass and everything else going on that gives the song a feel ... not just the vocals,

There are also several thousand instrumental only tracks, I'm definitely not disagreeing with you but it's not just about the vocals.
All very true
Separating the instruments is something my wife doesn't do as well
She says I'm too analytical, but I can't help myself.
Also White Lies debut album has great bass sounds, married to good songs and the lyrics are pretty good as well.
White Lies are an example of a solid band without having a truly great Lead vocalist a la, Fish, Peter Gabriel or Bono etc.
Great bass though 👍👍

TRENDING THREADS