Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Just took delivery of a set of bw pm1's

Using with

Cyrus cd6se2/6xp

Chameleon silver interconnect

Van den hul teatrack biwire

Chord super screen power leads

The build quality is first class, I never really looked that close at them in the dealers, they sound even better at home the when I listen to them in the dealers.

I was assured that the speakers would improve with upgrades that I am planning over time for system" power amp + power supplies" .

For once I feel very happy the sound from my system, after replacing my pm 17 and castles.

Does anyone have advice or experience of what would be best to do next upgrade wise.

kevin7.1

Apr 26, 2011
Visit site
To me those PM1's are amazing i honestly think they would sound good on any system. I think anything you decide to do will work out well, very envious of you my friend!!!

You said for once you are happy with the sound of your system, so i guess you get to enjoy the system now for what it is while you consider and implement upgrades.

Did you get the stands that go with these speakers? WHF state that the PM1's sound best on these stands compared to the multitudes they had on site when tested so I would consider those to get a stable base to work from.

Kevin

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The PM1's are excellent little speakers, and I have to say one of my favourites at £2k thanks to their HF performance, but they just don't dig down deep enough for my music, removing them from my 'viable list'. If you're happy with what you have now, you know you're on the right track... :)

Your dealer is quite right in what he says. Leave power supplies until last - they can be added any time - get the basics of the system right first.

The PM1's aren't the most sensitive of speakers (84dB), and until you do add a power amp, I'd be a little careful with the volume control - if you hear any signs of struggling, back off the volume a little. Ideally, for the PM1's, you'd need to be looking at the X Power for a marked improvement in performance and power, although Mono X200's will get them singing sweeter than a sweet singy thing.

Enjoy :)

A

Anonymous

Full agree re the Xpower comments; to me it really helped to open up the speakers

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The PM1's are excellent little speakers, and I have to say one of my favourites at £2k thanks to their HF performance, but they just don't dig down deep enough for my music, removing them from my 'viable list'. If you're happy with what you have now, you know you're on the right track... :)

Your dealer is quite right in what he says. Leave power supplies until last - they can be added any time - get the basics of the system right first.

The PM1's aren't the most sensitive of speakers (84dB), and until you do add a power amp, I'd be a little careful with the volume control - if you hear any signs of struggling, back off the volume a little. Ideally, for the PM1's, you'd need to be looking at the X Power for a marked improvement in performance and power, although Mono X200's will get them singing sweeter than a sweet singy thing.

Enjoy :)

Just got these speakers myself - loved the sound when experienced them. Have a Cyrus DAC XP+, Mono X 200, CDXT SE - what speaker cables would work well connected with the Cyrus, and also is Bi-wirining worth doing or not ?

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
Just got these speakers myself - loved the sound when experienced them. Have a Cyrus DAC XP+, Mono X 200, CDXT SE - what speaker cables would work well connected with the Cyrus, and also is Bi-wirining worth doing or not ?

Thanks

Dont worry about bi-wiring, it's not worthwhile unless you're bi-amping (in which case you have to bi-wire :))

It really depends what you want to shape the overall sound. I would let them settle down and fully run in before messing at with cables. You can go for something more laid back like Van Den Hul, or something more upfront like Nordost. My favourite cable at the moment is the Chord Epic. I thought it was just a cable I preferred with the Blades, but it seems I prefer it with many other high quality speakers too. I've used it in many Cyrus systems too. Give that a try (or the Odyssey if you don't want to go that far), and try something else too just as a comparison. If you hear no difference, go for the cheaper one or if you hear no difference in cables in general, go for whatever you like :)

My personal choice, based on experience, would be the Chord Epic. It's not laid back (which I'm not keen on) and it isn't forward either. But it is nice and open, clear, and good with low bass, which is important with some of the music I listen to.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
satycool said:

Thanks

Dont worry about bi-wiring, it's not worthwhile unless you're bi-amping (in which case you have to bi-wire :))

It really depends what you want to shape the overall sound. I would let them settle down and fully run in before messing at with cables. You can go for something more laid back like Van Den Hul, or something more upfront like Nordost. My favourite cable at the moment is the Chord Epic. I thought it was just a cable I preferred with the Blades, but it seems I prefer it with many other high quality speakers too. I've used it in many Cyrus systems too. Give that a try (or the Odyssey if you don't want to go that far), and try something else too just as a comparison. If you hear no difference, go for the cheaper one or if you hear no difference in cables in general, go for whatever you like :)

My personal choice, based on experience, would be the Chord Epic. It's not laid back (which I'm not keen on) and it isn't forward either. But it is nice and open, clear, and good with low bass, which is important with some of the music I listen to.

Thanks - the speakers are ex-demo so probably had a good run. I listen to mainly instrumental electronic music (Dubby music, Deep-Tech House, Idm, Techno and Ambient) - so the Chord cables might be the right ones. Thanks.

Bi-amping (sorry I'm sort of new to all this!) is that when connecting four connecters from the cable to the amp, then four to each speaker ? I have two Mono X 200 which has Two +, and Two - , speaker inputs on each amp on in the back ?

satycool said:

Thanks

Hi satycool

I'll recommend that you should also consider standard 79 strand OFC or if you want to push the boat out then 500 strand OFC speakers cables. These standard speaker cables will be more than good enough for your Cyrus electronics and PM1 speakers and you should also be able to pick up these speaker cables up for very little £/m :) Save your time and your money.

Fwiw, i only use/have used 79/500 strand speaker cables with components such as Plinius Hiato, ATC SCM40 passive monitors, Monitor Audio PL300, Chord Electronics SPM3005, Densen Audio Technologies Beat B-175 Plus, etc.

Btw, best to single wire.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Chord Epic :cry: are a bit expensive - I need approx 9m x 2 as my Hi-Fi is set on the oppostie side of the room to the speakers - have to run the cable across the floor around hugging the wall and front arch.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:
Bi-amping (sorry I'm sort of new to all this!) is that when connecting four connecters from the cable to the amp, then four to each speaker ? I have two Mono X 200 which has Two +, and Two - , speaker inputs on each amp on in the back ?

Don't worry about bi-amping, you'll just be spending double on your cables with very little return. But by all means try it if you feel inquisitive. A single run will be sufficient

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:

Bi am ping is using two separate amp channels per speaker, one for the tweeter one for the woofer. Skin your case you would need another pair of mono x 200's to bi amp.

I don't think anyone is saying you need to do this btw,single ambling those speakers with those amps should sound amazing as it is

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
satycool said:

Don't worry about bi-amping, you'll just be spending double on your cables with very little return. But by all means try it if you feel inquisitive. A single run will be sufficient

Thanks - now to get those cables!

Any recommendations ? my price range is £10 per m. Do need a two seperate cables for both speakers that are approx 10m and 8m away from the amp (room is not that big but will need to attach cables to the lower floor wall skirting then run up to speakers and amp adding extra length + due to rooms shape). Using Mono X 200 (2), Dac XP+, CDXT SE, B&W PM1's...was looking into Chord, DNM (a bit confusing!), QLED and OFC 500 Strand (where do I find these)! Please send link if possible. Many Thanks.

Won't be Bi-amping !

satycool said:
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
satycool said:

Any recommendations ? my price range is £10 per m. Do need a two seperate cables for both speakers. OFC 500 Strand (where do I find these)! Please send link if possible. Many Thanks.

Won't be Bi-amping !

Hi satycool

Single wire - single cable per speaker. You should be able to pick up 500 strand OFC speaker cables from places such as local electrical stores for very little money :)

Keep it simple. Simple is best :rockout:

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
satycool said:

Any recommendations ? my price range is £10 per m. Do need a two seperate cables for both speakers that are approx 10m and 8m away from the amp (room is not that big but will need to attach cables to the lower floor wall skirting then run up to speakers and amp adding extra length + due to rooms shape). Using Mono X 200 (2), Dac XP+, CDXT SE, B&W PM1's...was looking into Chord, DNM (a bit confusing!), QLED and OFC 500 Strand (where do I find these)! Please send link if possible. Many Thanks.

Personally, I find cables with excessive amounts of strands quite soft and warm, and not particularly clean in the higher frequencies - I've heard some before that seem to introduce a fuzzy treble with distortion that really shouldn't be there. I prefer a solid core cable, but there aren't many around these days. I currently use Chord Rumour II, which you'll find around the £10-12 per metre mark. You could try looking out on eBay for older Audioquest solid core cables, or one of my old favourites, Cyrus cable, which was a bi-wire (4 core) cable at £25 per metre - you should be able to pick this up within your budget. If you don't like them, you should be able to sell them on for little or no loss. If you want something a bit smoother, try Chord's Carnival Silver Plus or Carnival Classic.

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
I would try the van damme LC-OFC cable at 4mm, is relatively cheap and a suberb speaker for the money.

It's available on ebay or google it to find suppliers.

Good Luck

Shanka

Jan 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I use the 4mm on my CDM1Nt's with the cable going through both terminals with the plates removed and very happy with it, saves the need for jumper cables and sounds better to me.

Unless you have long runs the 4mm should be plenty.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Shanka said:
I would try the van damme LC-OFC cable at 4mm, is relatively cheap and a suberb speaker for the money. It's available on ebay or google it to find suppliers. Good Luck

Cheers - they do seem to be getting a lot of praise and are priced right (esp compared to others out-there!), will 6mm or 11mm be better the 4mm ? Also do you have to bind/twist the ends of the cable together to fit into the plugs that attach to the speakers and amp ?

Cyrus Dac XP+, Mono X 200 (2), CDXT SE, B&W PM1s

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I probably need 10m due to the hi-fi being on the opposite wall to the speakers, this would mean I have to attach the cable low to run across the wall then up to the amp and speakers - making the extra lengh longer then the room size actaully is!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Finally decided and orderd the Van Damme 6mm blue speaker 10m cable. Does seem a great cable getting a lot of praise across the internet, wonderful price too. Thanks.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts