Bob Marley - That bit better

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Bob Marley's Legend is now available from Linn Records as a Studio Master 24/96 download.
http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-legend.aspx

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Just bought it, downloading now!

I'd have to say I really love Linn records. One of the few that provide HD content here in Europe.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
Just bought it, downloading now!

I'd have to say I really love Linn records. One of the few that provide HD content here in Europe.

Please let me know how it sounds (especially compared with his normal CD quality), as I've been underwhelmed with the CD that I own (Live at the Roxy).

I was going to post a thread asking for the Album with the best mixture of content and sound quality, when Linn sent me notification of this.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
I have a cd copy of Bob Marley Legend and IMO it's an extremely well mastered album, can't fault it.

Does it make a difference what edition you get? -

1. 2006 Edition (Universal/Island)

2. Import (Island)

3. 2002 Box set delux edition (Univeral Island)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Bob Marley's Legend is now available from Linn Records as a Studio Master 24/96 download.

Bob Marley's Legend is one of my all time favorite albums. Does anyone know how the new studio mastered version sounds compared to the CD version?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
CnoEvil said:

Bob Marley's Legend is one of my all time favorite albums. Does anyone know how the new studio mastered version sounds compared to the CD version?

Let's hope Spockfish gives some insight.

Which version do you have?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
eggontoast said:
I have a cd copy of Bob Marley Legend and IMO it's an extremely well mastered album, can't fault it.

2. Import (Island)

2002 Island version with 16 tracks.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
CnoEvil said:
eggontoast said:

2. Import (Island)

2002 Island version with 16 tracks.

Excellent. There seems to be a pattern forming.

Cno

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
got no comparison to a CD, but this version sounds crisp and clear. This is not a remastering from Linn itself (most of the times that by itself guaruantees very high quality), but it is very good.

Need to listen it a few more times to give a better overall rating I guess....

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
spockfish said:
got no comparison to a CD, but this version sounds crisp and clear. This is not a remastering from Linn itself (most of the times that by itself guaruantees very high quality), but it is very good.

I suppose I'm asking if it's worth £18.

How does it compare with Linn's usual standard for 24 bit?

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
spockfish said:

I can say for sure that my cd was worth the £3 I paid for it :)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Just listening to the 12" version of Jammin from the 2010 rarities edition on Spotify and that sounds very good!

Some very spacey effects at 3'30" onwards :)

So how's the 18 quid version, not 18 times better for sure :)

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
eggontoast said:
CnoEvil said:
spockfish said:

Yes the CD is worth 3 quid, really should get a copy someday.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
eggontoast said:
CnoEvil said:
spockfish said:

...and therein lies the rub!

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
I've just compared my 2002 Delux Edition CD to the 2010 Rarities Eedition on Spotify Premium and apart from having a few extra tracks on the 2002 version they both sound identical as far as I can tell.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if it's worth the money... sounds like THE question of our hobby :) Lately I'm buying quite regulary HD content, and most of the time from Linn.

Back to the album then. I think it doesn't has the usual Linn quality, but it's coming very close. I'm kinda amazed by how good it sounds at low listening levels. That's not happening to me that often :) So yes, for me it was worthwile every euro. I'm one of those who thinks and/or believes that HD content can sound better than a usual CD, and this one definetely counts.

spockfish

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Oh one more thing: friday I'm going to attent an event in the Netherlands organized by Linn Records where mr. Philip Hobbs (aka "the man with the golden ears") will attend and tell about how things work with respect to the recording process within Linn Records. The perfect time and place to ask him some questions I guess :)

acalex

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
spockfish said:
Oh one more thing: friday I'm going to attent an event in the Netherlands organized by Linn Records where mr. Philip Hobbs (aka "the man with the golden ears") will attend and tell about how things work with respect to the recording process within Linn Records. The perfect time and place to ask him some questions I guess :)

Where in the Netherlands? Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I bought the album on Linn download (24/96 FLAC converted to AIFF using XLD) and compared it one after the other with the 192kbps version I had already.

Couldn't tell a great difference between them although the 24/96 version sounds a bit more refined and you could only smell the ganja with the 24/96 version :wink:

Will I be rushing to buy more 24/96 material? No, because I don't think there is a huge difference between 256kbps (or actually even betweeen 192kbps) and the 24/96 version takes up 130MB per track vs approx 6MB per track on a 256kbps version and I use a Solid State Drive (because it is completely silent and fast) so space matters.

I think, on balance, lossless at around 800kbps is probably indistinguishable to my ears from higher res. versions so that's probably the extent I would go to.

In any case there isn't much on Linn records I would want to buy.

Thanks for the heads up though Cno, gave me another chance to play around and experiment and I don't regret the purchase at all.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
spockfish said:

Please ask Mr Hobbs how Linn Records justifies its 'golden' download prices, specifically why a 16/44 download costs more than the CD version? :shame:

For example, Melody Gardot's new album, The Absence, is £10 as a 16/44 from Linn or £8.99 as a CD from Amazon.co.uk :~

TRENDING THREADS