Bluetooth vs AirPlay

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Final decision.

After discovering the volume difference between Airplay and Bluetooth (AirPlay was louder) and a lot more 'comparator' style listening - flicking between the two with the same music playing - I have given up trying to find differences.

I have tried long stretches of music and short snips. I have tried concentrating on individual instruments (and voices) at different frequencies from light brush strokes on cymbals to acoustic and electric bass. I have listened to my 'best' Apple Lossless rips and to 320k AAC and BBC Radio (voice and music).

The evidence all points (now) to very little or no quality difference betwixt Bluetooth and Airplay. My problem was that I could not quite bring myself to accept this especially as i'm not even using aptX.

I have taken the first of two options ....

Pack the Airport Express and cables away and start enjoying myself again!

Get a minijack - 1/4" headphone plug adaptor and plug in my B&W P3s (whilst sitting very close to the amp due to the 1m lead) then redo all the listening tests again to see if the headphones can reveal any differences.

B###er that

TRENDING THREADS