• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Bluetooth connectivity for MDAC+

Jul 10, 2016
Hi all,

Looking for suggestions for the best way to add bluetooth connectivity to my hifi setup (Macbook Pro, MDAC+, Rega Elicit-R, KEF LS50). From my research it seems i'll need to buy a bluetooth DAC with a digital output which i'd connect to my MDAC+ (effectively bypassing the DAC element of the bluetooth DAC and just using the bluetooth receiver).

I have looked at the Audioengine B1, QED uPlay, Crystal Audio Blu-DAC and Arcam r-blink amongst others. I wonder whether it is worth spending out for a high quality product here (given i will be bypassing the receivers onboard DAC anyhow) or whether a cheap receiver would achieve the same quality?

Are there any other options for achieving bluetooth connectivity for my MDAC+ without having to buy another DAC?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Best

Oliver

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
I have a Jonga, it's model is in my signature. It has an optical out and it sounds great as a Bluetooth receiver, giving the extra of having a great radio app over wi-fi. They were 100 pounds, now 20 on Amazon

It is very difficult to set up but quite good once set up. I would however recommend ignoring Bluetooth if you want real hifi sound. It has its benefits, but has limits also

tino

Sep 29, 2011
The Pure Jongo A2 mentioned above supports Bluetooth and wireless streaming via the Pure application. It is excellent value now at around £15-20. However the Bluetooth does not feature the aptX codec which does improve quality a bit assuming that you have some way of transmitting audio from a source that uses aptX e.g. a computer with an aptX dongle or a mobile phone/tablet that supports it (some Android, Microsoft and BlackBerry phones)

An alternative Bluetooth receiver that you may also be interested in is the Yamaha YBA-11 which has a digital coaxial output and supports the aptX codec. You can find these for abour £40-£50 pounds.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
By the way ... I think that Apple Macbook Pro supports Bluetooth aptX (the mobile iOS devices do not however)

This article ... clicky ... should explain it.

Brokenflame

Oct 23, 2016
I use a QED uPlay plus over optical out to the M-DAC+

it works okay but I prefer the optical out on the MacBook (it's part of the headphone jack)

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts