Blu Ray Tempter

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi, at the moment I have a Sony BD760, but I have the oppurtunity to get my hands on a Denon DVD-2500BT, highly recommended by WHF.

I understand that this is a transport only, can you tell me, should it work fine connected to my Denon 2311 and let it do all the decoding via the HDMI, audio & visual as im unsure about this and the what the implications would be.

Would it do the same for cd's and is a worth while alternitive to my existing Blu Ray player

Many thanks in advance to all who reply.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the Denon DVD-2500BT will work fine via just an HDMI connection into the AVR-2311 AV receiver - this is in fact just as it's designed to work.

On whether it's worthwhile, you've not said how much you're paying for it! I've not seen the Denon player, but from what I've heard, it's still one of the best players around for picture and sound quality, though it does have very slow load times so bear this in mind. So if this is okay and assuming you're not paying over the odds, it should prove to be a worthwhile purchase. However, I would definitely recommend getting a demo of it first (perferably taking your Sony player along for comparison sakes) if you can.

michael hoy

Dermondo,

I have the 2500BT and can highly recommend this machine the picture and sound are excellent.

True it is slow compared to some on load times but this has never proven an issue to me, it will of course work well with the 2311 as it does with my pioneer.

How much is it going for?

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for the replies.

Its going 2nd hand for €275, to be honest all I want a blu player to do is play blu rays, upscale dvd's & cd's decently, i'm not interested in 3d, internet, wifi, profile and all the other bells & whistle, at the moment I don't need them and personally speaking the can interfere in the audio and visual experience I want.

A valid point about an comparison audition first.

I don't think the Denon is worth the extra outlay. Sony S760 has won many awards, & one review gave it a "reference status", which even the Denon 2500BT didn't get.

Definitely audition both players before making a purchase.

professorhat said:
bigboss said:
I don't think the Denon is worth the extra outlay. Sony S760 has won many awards, & one review gave it a "reference status", which even the Denon 2500BT didn't get.

But then the Denon was probably reviewed at £900...

The reviewer has noted that the "HD Reality Enhancer" in the Sony S760 actually makes a commendable improvement to the picture quality without sacrificing quality in other areas, & this is the first blu-ray player he has been impressed with, in this area. The Denon came before the Sony.

Anyway, all these reviews are no match to a proper demo. The bottomline is, think hard before you buy an older generation player than your current player. Every generation brings about improvements as compared to the previous generation (the Sony S370 was a little better than the S760, for example). Personally, I would save the money for something more substantial in the future which will bring a far greater improvement to your home cinema experience.

TRENDING THREADS