Blu-Ray player upgrade?

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
In the recent WHF S&V magazine review of the latest crop of blu-ray players, significant print was given to the sonic abilities of the various players.

My question is, if I am (HDMI) bitstreaming from my Panasonic BDP-35 blu-ray player to my A/V amp, a rather fine Yamaha RX-V3800, it is the Yamaha that is performing the sound processing. So, would a more expensive player - the Pioneer 320 or better - result in any discernable increase in sound quality?

Thanks.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi

Yes it would sound better.

Also the pioneer bdp-lx71 blu ray player and the pioneer bdp-lx52 would sound even greater than the pioneer bdp-320.

Any of those three will sound better know.

On the pioneer website they have they have information bit on each pioneer blu ray player on their they show you how much better each one will sound..

A

Anonymous

On Bitstream the player only has to be able to read the data off the disc and send it intact for processing to the AV amp.

This avoids much of the jitter issues within the player. Of course the better the transport system the more intact the data sent.

I much prefer the AV amp to do the processing as the jitter issues are negated with a noticably better performance from what I have seen on my system.

Recently bought a Sony BD350 which knocked the pants off my PS3 which burned out its laser.

A

Anonymous

Interesting subject as I like many others use a PS3 as the BD player of choice.

I use a Yamaha Z7 amplifier but will never know how good the decoders are on the amp as the PS3 cant bitstream HD sound.

I would like to upgrade my PS3 but the BD player would need to blow the pants off the PS3 for sound and vision , this would finally let me compare my Yamaha decoders to whatever machine , but what a waste paying twice for decoders,

So are there any disc spinners with awesome video and no on-board decoding on the market so I can just use my Yamaha Z7 decoders and also finally see HD Master audio displayed on the amp instead of PCM (I don't think so as I believe the spec insists on the player having on-board decoding)?

If the recommendation is to let the player do the decoding surly buying an amp without decoders would have been the best option?

Last which player would blow a PS3 out of the water both with video and audio?

Regards

Andy

nads

hunnyy:
In the recent WHF S&V magazine review of the latest crop of blu-ray players, significant print was given to the sonic abilities of the various players.

My question is, if I am (HDMI) bitstreaming from my Panasonic BDP-35 blu-ray player to my A/V amp, a rather fine Yamaha RX-V3800, it is the Yamaha that is performing the sound processing. So, would a more expensive player - the Pioneer 320 or better - result in any discernable increase in sound quality?

Thanks.

in a word not really. there have been many posts where people have "upgraded" their BD player where they have been having the AV amp do the decoding and not notice any gain.

now if you are going to change to having the player decode then you "may" notice a difference but i would make sure a returns policy is available.

hunnyy

Jul 25, 2008
Visit site
Interesting! There seems to be a difference of opinion between esteemed forum members. Trevor79 says there should be a noticeable improvement in sound quality, due to a superior transport, and nads says probably no difference as the amp is doing the decoding.

I know I should arrange a demo, and intend to do, but in the meantime any further thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks for the contributions to-date.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts