Blu-ray player that can steam DTS HD and Dolby HD audio

nads

I have some archived movies which don’t have the core sound tracks just the “top end” versions. No problem with a working media PC. But it is now dead. The apple TV only seems to do 5.1 from these so I am thinking about a new disc spinner as it is cheaper than rebuilding the pc. Oh and the smart TV can’t see some of the audio….. none of the reviews mention file playback …. Thinking of a Panasonic player.

thoughts?

nads

Might be cheaper to rebuild the PC
looked at it and 2.5 times the cost of a half decent disc spinner. Would need lots of new bits as the old one was 10 years old and could not take Win 11.
Or a second hand Oppo 103.
was going to get an oppo 10/12 years back but they went cold on what it was and did not produce it. So gone off them. Also have a good disc spinner for all disc formats other than BLU and HDDVD.
Or get a raspberry pi 4 and load KODI.....👍
had KODI on the pc but I do need a blu ray disc spinner.

Tinman1952

had KODI on the pc but I do need a blu ray disc spinner.
Fair enough. The problem I experienced with bluray players (like my Sony UBP-X800) is they need to connect to another media server on your network. I cannot connect to a network share.... 😕 So you might as well use the media server?

Last edited:

nads

Ok been playing with settings on the 4K Apple TV and are getting 7.1 tracks from some files where they are there but still have some audio that can not be played. Using the VLC app for play back . I had no issues when playing the same file with VCL on the PC. also dug out the Panasonic db 35 (or whatever it was call back from 2007ish).

just need to see what other playback apps are available.
and then may take some time looking at rebuilding the media PC.

BUT my main PC seems to have also shat it’s pants. So maybe that will be replaced or repaired. Cost is going to be similar.

but both options will have to wait as I need new wheels and slicks for the race car!

nads

Ok further investigation the 4k Apple TV will not handle Dolby Digital True HD in any form. And does not really work with the DTS MA that is to say the amp does light up correctly.

bit of a shame. Looks like I will be getting a Mini PC at some time for this. And keep the old BD disc spinner for that.

it has built with the same ethos as the printer companies.

Tinman1952

Ok further investigation the 4k Apple TV will not handle Dolby Digital True HD in any form. And does not really work with the DTS MA that is to say the amp does light up correctly.

bit of a shame. Looks like I will be getting a Mini PC at some time for this. And keep the old BD disc spinner for that.

it has built with the same ethos as the printer companies.
Yes I only use my Apple TV for Apple film purchases and streaming. For my 500+ movie rips I use a Gigabyte Brix dual Celeron Intel NUC which I bought a few years ago for £90 added Kodi and it plays everything perfectly...even Dolby Atmos! Now you can buy little 'silent' chinese Windows 10 machines on Amazon for around £100. 👍

nads

Well not got to where I want to be yet.
had a few chats with retailers if their players could handle certain tracks on stored media. Yes sure no problems. Errr nope.

Won’t even play 7.1 while the Apple TV. will.
Could have spent less on the disc spinner.
But it does give me other options Re the 4k discs etc. as it has twin hdmi outputs one audio only and 7.1 analog outputs. As the amp does not pass 4k.

I do think I will get one of the small windows boxes that I can hide on the back of the tv

Tinman1952

Well not got to where I want to be yet.
had a few chats with retailers if their players could handle certain tracks on stored media. Yes sure no problems. Errr nope.

Won’t even play 7.1 while the Apple TV. will.
Could have spent less on the disc spinner.
But it does give me other options Re the 4k discs etc. as it has twin hdmi outputs one audio only and 7.1 analog outputs. As the amp does not pass 4k.

I do think I will get one of the small windows boxes that I can hide on the back of the tv
Which disc spinner did you go with in the end?

Tinman1952

DP-UB820, does everything I need from a disc spinner. the DNLA part is a bit clunky but works. It’s just some of the audio decoding on the DNLA side that is lacking. Still playing with settings though.
That's a great player. It would have been my choice too if I needed multi channel analogue out...I only chose the Sony as it plays SACD too. Enjoy! 👍

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts