Blu-ray not working - Cleaning Disc - EU Warranty 2 Years?

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Just blown the dust of my Samsung BD-C6900 and its failing to load any BD, although DVDs play fine.

Samsung suggest running a lens cleaning disc - has anyone tried and had any success with a lens cleaner?

I feel more inclined to just tell Samsung its broke (its still within the 2year warranty), and have them pick it up and fix it.

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Yes, I picked up a blu-ray cleaning disc (which also had test screens etc) from John Lewis. Seemed to work on our Sony S570 which was starting to play up.

Alantiggger

Oct 14, 2007
Visit site
AnotherJoe said:
Just blown the dust of my Samsung BD-C6900 and its failing to load any BD, although DVDs play fine.

Samsung suggest running a lens cleaning disc - has anyone tried and had any success with a lens cleaner?

I feel more inclined to just tell Samsung its broke (its still within the 2year warranty), and have them pick it up and fix it.

It's under warrenty.... get a new one :)

It may not be the lens being dirty at all... would a 'dirty lens' play dvd's and not blu-ray ?... Get it replaced I'd say.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Well the lens cleaner hasnt worked, and after a phone call to Samsung, they arent keen on the supposed 2 year warranty for all electrical goods sold in the EU. They say that only applies to the retailer (who in this case is unfortunately Comet).

They asked if I had the proof of purchase (which I couldnt find at the time) and they might be able to make an exception - otherwise I need to contact the nearest service repair centre and pay for the repair.

I have now found the proof of purchase so I'll phone them back on Monday and see if they will make an 'exception',

AmigaNut

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
If they are not interested, tell them yuio wont be buying Samsung again.

My mate had trouble with a LCD tv, an engineer said it was beyond repair but the internal counter said it was not over used for the period of use 2 years.

Samsung offered a replacement no quibble.

This is the only thing the EU has been good for.

AmigaNut

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Turns out the player was bought in May 2010 - so is 2.5 years old and therefor out of warranty.

Even worse I took the machine to be repaired at local service centre, only to receive a call 5 days later saying they cant repair it as Samsung no longer make it and they cant locate a new drive assembly.

2.5years old and cant be repaired - £300 pound player down the tubes :(

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AnotherJoe said:
Turns out the player was bought in May 2010 - so is 2.5 years old and therefor out of warranty.

Even worse I took the machine to be repaired at local service centre, only to receive a call 5 days later saying they cant repair it as Samsung no longer make it and they cant locate a new drive assembly.

2.5years old and cant be repaired - £300 pound player down the tubes :(

How much?

Well the good news is, you'll be able to get a better replacement, for a lot less money.

Richer Sounds do excellent 5 year warrantys for 10% of the purchase price, so if you have one near you, I recommend you go and have a look at what they have to offer. http://www.richersounds.com/products/home-cinema/home-cinema-separates/blu-ray

This http://www.richersounds.com/product/blu-ray/toshiba/bdx1200/tosh-bdx1200 could be a stop gap purchase if you're looking for something reasonable, and very cheap, and it comes with the added bonus of being able to get the DARK KNIGHT TRILOGY on redemption from Toshiba. So works out almost free.

Just depends if there are any in stock in your local branch.

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
The Sony amp is not 3D compatible so it had to have twin hdmi or analog outs (like the Sammy did).

Picked up a refurbished Panasonic BDT310 with its twin HDMI for £110 from the service centres shop (with 12month warranty).

I've now got 8x3m Chord CrimsonPlus RCA cables to sell on ebay, so hopefully that will cover the cost of the replacement.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

AnotherJoe said:
The Sony amp is not 3D compatible so it had to have twin hdmi or analog outs (like the Sammy did).

Picked up a refurbished Panasonic BDT310 with its twin HDMI for £110 from the service centres shop (with 12month warranty).

I've now got 8x3m Chord CrimsonPlus RCA cables to sell on ebay, so hopefully that will cover the cost of the replacement.

Good price. I'd been thinking about one myself in the past, and had noticed that they go for good money 2nd hand, probably because of the twin hdmi out.

Cheapest on Ebay is £145 including postage.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts