Blu-ray into non-HDCP compliant TV - will it work?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Got an older LCD TV (Philips 37PF9986) with DVI/RGB scart connections - no component.
It can accept 720p/1080i via the DVI connector (panel is only 1366x768)
Its not HDCP compliant.

Just about to make the jump to blu ray and wondering if the TV will last a few more months before having to replace it.
Need a little more info from peeps that know about HDCP/ICT.

I know I can connect via RGB scart, but then theres no benefit.
But if I connect via DVI will I get a picture (at all?), and is it dependant on ICT not being enabled?
According to Wiki, if ICT is enabled, and the connection is not HDCP compliant, the output is limited to 960x540 - not exactly a well known resolution and one that my telly won't accept (well at least according to the manual, closest is 720x576).
Also what if ICT is not enabled (aren't most discs like this at present?), will I get better (720p/1080i) resolution?

Must be someone out there thats tried this already.

Cheers.

A

Anonymous

You sure about that? Is that from personal experience?

Already got (and am using) a HDMI/DVI convertor for a PVR (it being HDMI) into the TV and I do get a picture - can select 720p/1080i but always assumed it worked as there is no need for the PVR to be HDCP compliant.

You reckon I'll be able to choose 720p/1080i with a blu ray player (regardless of ICT)?

A

Anonymous

Well took the chance thinking if it doesn't work, what the hell, more incentive to buy a new TV earlier.

It works! Got a Panny BD50. Plugged in via HDMI->DVI and can play with 720p or 1080i.

I did more digging on another site and I am even more surprised it works. It seems the ICT flag is purely for analogue (ie component) connections. If the telly is not HDCP compliant then you should not get a picture over HDMI/DVI. Only thing I can think is the TV must be HDCP compliant or alot of people on the forums are wrong!

A few years ago when I first wanted to get into HD I emailed Philips support and they said its not HDCP compliant, and all their online support also confirms that.

Either way I'm happy, well till I get my 52".

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts