Blu- ray difference between phono or analogue outs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
First time poster, long time lurker here.

I'm about to buy a blu ray player, mainly to listen to the Neil Young Archives boxset, but also for movies. Because my receiver is old enough to have neither digital or hdmi inputs (a Sherwood bought back in 1996) I'm reliant on an analogue signal from the player into the receiver.

Is there a difference in sound quality between the stereo phono outs and multi channel analogue outs? I don't have surround speakers so I'm happy to let the blu ray player do the decoding and spit out a stereo signal. I'm torn between the Sony BDP 360 if there's no appreciable difference between phono and analogue outs, or the Sony BDP 550 if analogue outs are significantly better sounding.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I would say that the Stereo out phono's would suit your purposes best.

I take it that your amp does not have 5.1 multi channel in anyway ?

Cheers,

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
rahnooo: I'm torn between the Sony BDP 360 if there's no appreciable difference between phono and analogue outs, or the Sony BDP 550 if analogue outs are significantly better sounding.

For stereo you won't need the multi-channel outputs, but I'd still go for the better built BDP-S550 which can be had for £225. However, the S560 is due out soon and is likely to retail at around £250. Maybe worth waiting a few weeks, either for the 560 or to see if the remaining 550's drop below £200!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts