Blind Hi Fi accessibility - joy of streaming with VoiceOver.

TandemBrian

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
So I'm completely blind and so love the replacement of time scanning and trying to select from a organised set of CDs to simply selecting tracks now from the wonderfully accessible Tidal app on my IOS iPhone using the VoiceOver built in Apple software, or from Apple Music, and Airplaying to my Airport Express, connected via 3.5mm jack to my Meridian pre-amp/mono-blocks and Proac resp1 speaker. Tidal have been great at responding to app issues and it is all very usable now, where as Deezer / Quobuz didn't even reply and both are either cumbersome or impossible to use.
Now looking for speakers which have more base at low volumes, and just fancy an upgrade / fresh and more simpler interface.
So, consideringthe Kef Wireless 2 with the Kef Connect app that the little I've read seems an improvement on earlier app revisions. No idea how compatible to VoiceOver it is though.
Also, the price scares me, but the Bower & Wilkins Formation Duo is the same physicalsize approx, and has even lower base frequency limits.
The Buchardt A500 is my last choice, but I do worry about the app and its VoiceOver compatibility, especially since there is a third party hub in the mix with this speaker arrangement.

Are there any other blind Hi Fi users out there to advise, and offer recommendations on sound & app usability?

Does anyone else get frustrated when streaming that every time you open the app, you have to re-select the airplay/blue tooth device and select your Airplay selection again? Just wish the iPhone could remember my prefered music output selection!

Welcome, Brian.

I’m afraid I can’t help with the accessibility angle. However, if you can change your setup to avoid streaming from your iPhone, by using it as a control point, then you won’t need to direct it each time.

Where a streamer has a dedicated app that sits on your phone, or in my case my iPad, the phone then acts like a remote control only. But you are currently sending the music from your phone to the device, and that’s where the inconvenience arises. So, basically you need to find an alternative to AirPlay, if you can.

TandemBrian

Oct 13, 2021
Visit site
So I understand Kef Connect has Tidal Connect integrated, and so would that ensure starting the Kef app auto selects the LS50 Wireless 2 speakers, and within the app, Tidal connect allows me to select / control music, streaming from the WEB or 'My collection' off the iPhone?
And so I can open the Kef app and begin music play back?
I presume this will be the same as the B&W app for the Fornmation Duo?

Any other VoiceOver Hi Fi users out there?
Regards
Bri
b

So I understand Kef Connect has Tidal Connect integrated, and so would that ensure starting the Kef app auto selects the LS50 Wireless 2 speakers, and within the app, Tidal connect allows me to select / control music, streaming from the WEB or 'My collection' off the iPhone?
And so I can open the Kef app and begin music play back?
I presume this will be the same as the B&W app for the Fornmation Duo?
I’m afraid I don’t know for sure with those specific models. When I have heard KEF wireless speakers they’ve been fed from an Innuos streamer, but that was the original version of the KEF. I’m sure a dealer or KEF themselves could say.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts