Black Rhodium brand - any experience

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Some systems do.

And some live performances don't have large dynamic swings or high volumes.

I just don't think live and recorded sounds "present" in the same way. I actually prefer recorded music if I am going to be completely honest. Does that make me a heretic?

Can I just say to the OP that I have had a couple of Black Rhodium interconnects in my system in the past, a good while ago though. I found them to be well constructed and the certainly lasted well. Cannot say they were anything special otherwise, they just did the job (neither brilliant nor poor, lets say a good average).

I would not know what there more modern cables are like compared to similarly priced competition though.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Some systems do.

Steinway put on a show demoing the Model D speakers the over £100k ones where they had people playing their grand pianos and the speakers playing as well and no one in the audience could tell the difference so they say

But it's all in the same room.

Fair play if in the mastering then transfer to cd they are able to fully capture what they are recording - I am sure that is possible

To then play it back somewhere completely different and for it to sound exactly the same is a tall order

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
ellisdj said:
lindsayt said:
Some systems do.

Steinway put on a show demoing the Model D speakers the over £100k ones where they had people playing their grand pianos and the speakers playing as well and no one in the audience could tell the difference so they say

But it's all in the same room.

Fair play if in the mastering then transfer to cd they are able to fully capture what they are recording - I am sure that is possible

To then play it back somewhere completely different and for it to sound exactly the same is a tall order

I find individual instruments and vocals on their own to be portrayed "as if I was there" on my system. However it is when an ensemble of music plays that I think the illusion falls apart a bit. Sonus Faber use solo violins playing to demonstrate their speaker's capabilities. I just think solos are a bit too easy to make sound really great through two channel for that to be a definitive demo of a loudspeaker's capability.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
"Exactly the same" is really tricky.

"Comparable", is not so difficult to acheive with the right recordings and the right system.

SteveR750

I'll add the caveat that comparing a recorded acoustic passage to the original live, I've yet to hear a stereo system that captures the 3d sound cues that we experience at the live event. I'll agree that a studio engineered track probably sounds close, if only because there is so much processing of the signal during the recording and mixing process. I seem to recall Daniel Lanois explaining he rcorded Larry Mullen playing in the studio toilets in Joshua tree to get the right sound he was looking for. I've not been to many gigs where the backline was playing in the gents!

So, comparing a simple crossed pair recording to the real thing, and the real thing wins every time; if for the fact that you'd never use your hi fi system in the original venue, so the comparison isn't really relevant. I've genuinely not heard a system capable of replaying a drum kit properly, which is probably as much a room effect than a system limitation. I'd be pleasantly surprised if a recording of a drum kit made in my lounge sounded close on replay back through my system.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
I've genuinely not heard a system capable of replaying a drum kit properly, which is probably as much a room effect than a system limitation. I'd be pleasantly surprised if a recording of a drum kit made in my lounge sounded close on replay back through my system.

If you mean the experience of having your eardrums smashed, your chest pummelled and your gut turned to jelly, then the Devialet Phantoms get pretty close.

SteveR750

matt49 said:
SteveR750 said:
I've genuinely not heard a system capable of replaying a drum kit properly, which is probably as much a room effect than a system limitation. I'd be pleasantly surprised if a recording of a drum kit made in my lounge sounded close on replay back through my system.

If you mean the experience of having your eardrums smashed, your chest pummelled and your gut turned to jelly, then the Devialet Phantoms get pretty close.

Cool. Sounds like a challenge to break them.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I have some of their twist speaker cable. It not very expensive and sounds great. The whole twist thing is a bit silly but it does keep them tidy.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Why do a lot of people think live music is so great, many concerts Ive been to the sound is not that good, its unbalanced, even with jazz the drums and bass can drown out the piano. Vocals are often shouted to be heard. Also at concerts it depends where you are sitting or standing. At least on most recordings its been mixed so you can hear the instruments.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
BigH said:
Why do a lot of people think live music is so great, many concerts Ive been to the sound is not that good, its unbalanced, even with jazz the drums and bass can drown out the piano. Vocals are often shouted to be heard. Also at concerts it depends where you are sitting or standing. At least on most recordings its been mixed so you can hear the instruments.

*clapping*

Bravo sir! Bravo! EXACTLY what I think.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Gazzip said:
BigH said:

*clapping*

Bravo sir! Bravo! EXACTLY what I think.
same here. I think the place you can really hear an instrument the way it sounds is when live recording in done in the studio & even sometimes you may not, if its accompanied & recorded with other instruments at the same time.

SteveR750

BigH said:

Absolutely, Wembley arena anyone?

However, don't confuse the sound of a live gig with the sound of a live instrument, played in front of you. Rock gigs are the worst, all that macho turn it up to 11 nonsense.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
SteveR750 said:
BigH said:

Absolutely, Wembley arena anyone?

However, don't confuse the sound of a live gig with the sound of a live instrument, played in front of you. Rock gigs are the worst, all that macho turn it up to 11 nonsense.
There's huge variation in live sound at rock gigs, though I've still to hear a gig mixed in a way I'd want to hear it at home.

Classical music is a whole different experience. Although there are some halls with really duff acoustics, in general live sound is the benchmark.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I think the place you can really hear an instrument the way it sounds is when live recording in done in the studio & even sometimes you may not, if its accompanied & recorded with other instruments at the same time.

here's the catch 22 though. You think you are hearing the instrument being recorded au naturel, but in fact it's anything but. In order to get the Instrument sounding how people want it to hear, there's usually quite a lot of eq, compression and reverb added to it.

That's why people talk about live music because it is the *only* way to hear instruments as if they were there in front of you, because they are.

Most recorded stuff, even the live stuff, get's dabbled around with, so what people like to think of as pure, actually isn't.

SteveR750

There's plenty of opportunity to hear an instrument in its natural state, pub bands are a good example. No one PAs the drum kit, and it's there right under your nose. Similarly, a small ensemble in a small venue, be it jazz or classical; again they are not usually mic'd, and it's just you, them, and the room acoustic.

The interesting challenge is subtle but significant. How well does your home system replicate the instrument recorded in another room, and how well does it reproduce the sound of an instrument recorded in your listening room? In both cases of course, replay is done in your own listening room.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
Native_bon said:
I think the place you can really hear an instrument the way it sounds is when live recording in done in the studio & even sometimes you may not, if its accompanied & recorded with other instruments at the same time.

here's the catch 22 though. You think you are hearing the instrument being recorded au naturel, but in fact it's anything but. In order to get the Instrument sounding how people want it to hear, there's usually quite a lot of eq, compression and reverb added to it.

That's why people talk about live music because it is the *only* way to hear instruments as if they were there in front of you, because they are.

Most recorded stuff, even the live stuff, get's dabbled around with, so what people like to think of as pure, actually isn't.
I think you misunderstood me.. I did not say recorded. Playing the instrument live in the studio. Pre recorded. In other words, playing the instrument when recording it. Eg. piano, double bass, violin, drums.. e.t.c. This will also depend on weather the input parameters are neutral. Eq or compression can be added pre or post recording.

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
Native_bon said:
I think you misunderstood me.. I did not say recorded. Playing the instrument live in the studio. Pre recorded. In other words, playing the instrument when recording it. Eg. piano, double bass, violin, drums.. e.t.c. This will also depend on weather the input parameters are neutral. Eq or compression can be added pre or post recording.

ahh i see. In which case the room can make a big difference to how it sounds.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Amazingly - whoever said it was right by the looks of it - system replaying the live sound

This is a link to a system that even though its only a you tube video if you listen back on something half decent you can get half an idea of how good this would sound. - not a phone speaker obviously

Listening back on some Seinheiser £130 cans off my asus xonar sound card I can imagine how good this must be - the guys comments at the end says it all.

Cracking tune as well.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts