Black bands on Calendar Girls

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Watched Calendar Girls last night on Freesat BBC HD and we had the black bands at the top and bottom the screen, the first time I’ve noticed this, hope all new films are not going to be like this as full screen viewing like Heroes, Tudors etc is much better. Have to see what Wallace & Grommitt is like today.

A

Anonymous

black bands are to allow you to see the whole picture...you cant simply say I watched one show that didnt have black bands and I liked that better. If the 'other' show was shot in a different screen ratio then you were seeing the whole picture too.
Think of when you go to the cinema and sometimes the curtains open wider when the movie starts....different films and shows are shot in different ratios of length to width, 4:6, 9:16 etc. with movie makers nowadays wanting to produce something eye wateringly big. Your TV can not change shape for all these formats and so black bands at least allow you to see the whole picture. The option is to have some editing gomer cut the image down which as most buffs will tell you is like tantamount to theft.

A

Anonymous

Lost Angeles:
Watched Calendar Girls last night on Freesat BBC HD and we had the black bands at the top and bottom the screen, the first time I've noticed this, hope all new films are not going to be like this as full screen viewing like Heroes, Tudors etc is much better. Have to see what Wallace & Grommitt is like today.

doh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts