Black above and below with Blueray-movie

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
I just bought my 1st Blueray-movie ("Once upon a time in the West"). When i am playing it, i have a black space above and below the movie, like it is cinemascope or panoramic view. How can i change that to a real full screen ? Or is that not always possible ?

Mty tv is "Panasonic TX-P42G30" and my Blueray-player is "Panasonic DMP BDT 310".

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
What you're seeing is what Sergio Leone intended you to see - he shot that movie frame by frame in 2.35:1 (I stand to be corrected if I'm wrong) so that you could see what he wanted you to see. Why would you want to see it any other way?

If you zoom that out, you'll lose about 30/35% from the width of your picture, which means there might be things you'll miss.

Rethep

May 2, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply!

I wanted to see as much of it as possible, to really have the felling to be in the movie. But if you say "this is it", then it's okay. Can't miss anything of the image of course, especially in this movie!

If you want the picture to fill the screen, then go for Philips 21:9 TVs: http://www.philips.co.uk/c/televisions/33092/dec/_CINEMA219_FLAT_TV_SE_GB_CONSUMER_true?showStaticDecision=true

As mentioned, most movies are shot at 2.35:1 or roughly 21:9, & most widescreen TVs are 16:9 ratio.

A

Anonymous

Rethep said:
I wanted to see as much of it as possible, to really have the felling to be in the movie. But if you say "this is it", then it's okay. Can't miss anything of the image of course, especially in this movie!

You are seeing as much of the film as possible. To zoom in would chop the sides off, hence not seeing all the film. Alternatively you stretch the film vertically, giving everyone thin heads and looking just plain wrong.

Live with it! You've chosen a TV that's a certain aspect ratio. As you watch TV, films and games, you'll come across all sorts of different aspect ratios: you either watch them as intended with black borders, or you screw about with the image to make it fit your telly. I personally prefer the former approach. :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts