BK xxls400, Monolith, or SVS SB-1000

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
I have been looking at countless threads and the websites to determine which sub i will end up buying..i can't decide at all!

i like the xxls400 as it looks nice, is smaller than the mono and not too bad of a pricetag. the monolith makes me want that as better for movies which is where i want the better experience. however i would love to own a sub which can really impress me for movies like the mono is said to do but at the same time be accurate and handle fast bass well like the sealed sub's do such as the xxls400..i wish i could demo as im in a pickle..never owned a sub before and will be using it in a medium sized living room (my current bedroom is 7ft by 7ft i think)

will be used for 50/50 movies and music. i am getting a better sub as i am not getting a centre speaker (if i did i could only afford the gemini II and i dont want a down firing sub)

going to demo a sealed and ported sub soon. wharfedale sw150 and b&w ASW-1000 just to see how the different types do for music and movies.

any help appreciated

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
I previously asked BK directly - they advised if it was 50/50 take the XXLS400.

The Monolith is best for movies and is larger than the XXLS400 so might be a little too big in a medium sized room.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
How big is your living room? A subwoofer AND a centre speaker are two most important components of a home cinema system. Definitely buy a centre speaker when funds allow.

not quite sure as i wont be able to find out a measurement till im in there, seen it a few times years ago. my bedroom is i guessing 7ft by 7ft and im guessing on the scale the living room might be 2.5x more total space 3x max

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
why not try and get a home demo of the SVS.

You will not get one of the BK - but you might be able to with the SVS. Speak to Nick at HSound in Edinburgh. He is very helpful.

The SVS and XXLS400 are different to the mono. The mono will be awesome for films in the right hands. Probably good for music as well but in the right environment only - In the wrong hands probably a boomy nightmare.

I have owned a the XLS400 its more than good enough for the majority of people / rooms unless you really crave the deep stuff in filsm which it does not do. Its not the cleanest either in the deeper bass but no low power cheaper small sealed box subs will be. Thats where the mono is different.

Next step up from these is the £1500 bracket - SVS SB13 Ultra - its a bit special if you ask me

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:

You will not get one of the BK - but you might be able to with the SVS. Speak to Nick at HSound in Edinburgh. He is very helpful.

The SVS and XXLS400 are different to the mono. The mono will be awesome for films in the right hands. Probably good for music as well but in the right environment only - In the wrong hands probably a boomy nightmare.

I have owned a the XLS400 its more than good enough for the majority of people / rooms unless you really crave the deep stuff in filsm which it does not do. Its not the cleanest either in the deeper bass but no low power cheaper small sealed box subs will be. Thats where the mono is different.

Next step up from these is the £1500 bracket - SVS SB13 Ultra - its a bit special if you ask me

found the website but no svs subs listed on the website so think that's a dead end. is there any subs close rivalling the xxls400? such as the b&w asw1000XP?that's £700. surely thats in the same type of league as the XXLS400?if so i can demo it and see if i like it for movies and music. if so maybe buy the XXLS400

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
ellisdj said:

found the website but no svs subs listed on the website so think that's a dead end. is there any subs close rivalling the xxls400? such as the b&w asw1610XP?that's £700. surely thats in the same type of league as the XXLS400?if so i can demo it and see if i like it for movies and music. if so maybe buy the XXLS400

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Ignore the website - he sells them trust me - I have just bought an SVS from him and its not on his web page

Just make a quick call or email them.

The BK uses certain amps / speakers so will sound the way it does, you cant judge its performance by testing something else out and assuming its the same.

I suggested trying the SVS not because it sound like the BK - I expected it to be different and to see if you liked it. I think as a first sub either of these will be very good.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
i'll email him then :)

i demo'd the dali E12Fand the cambridge audi aero 9 today and i have to say the aero beat the dali in both music and movies.. i tested a song on a cd and a scene in man of steel. obviously more testing is needed but i think i prefer the sealed sub so far..does the xxls400 beat the dali E12F in movies and music aswel as the cambridge audio aero 9? think if i could demo a xxls400 i'd be sold but unfortunately that's not the case thanks to bk :(

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Ignore the website - he sells them trust me - I have just bought an SVS from him and its not on his web page

Just make a quick call or email them.

The BK uses certain amps / speakers so will sound the way it does, you cant judge its performance by testing something else out and assuming its the same.

I suggested trying the SVS not because it sound like the BK - I expected it to be different and to see if you liked it. I think as a first sub either of these will be very good.

i can't afford the svs sb-2000 but i would of thought the xxls400 will be a better option over the sb-1000? bigger driver, goes lower and someone said the xxls400 is halfway inbetween the sb-1000 and sb-2000

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
There are deals to be had on the SVS thats all i will say.

The BK xxls400 is very good - its 400w so sits between the 300w dsp 1000 and 500w dsp2000

Your mind is made up by the sounds of it so just buy it- i preferred my bk xks400 to a velodyne spl1200 ultra at £1500 in some regards - not all regards

However the SVS SB13 Ultra is that much better i would now encourage someone to try other SVS products out. I bet they are good as well

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
There are deals to be had on the SVS thats all i will say.

The BK xxls400 is very good - its 400w so sits between the 300w dsp 1000 and 500w dsp2000

Your mind is made up by the sounds of it so just buy it- i preferred my bk xks400 to a velodyne spl1200 ultra at £1500 in some regards - not all regards

However the SVS SB13 Ultra is that much better i would now encourage someone to try other SVS products out. I bet they are good as well

not quite made up. what will i do if i buy the 400 and i want a better sub for movies? (monolith) if i manage to sell it i'd probably lose a chunk of money

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I doubt this very much. the xls400 is capable of bass like you wont imagine from a sub at that price.

The mono may give you deeper bass in the right spot in.the room.

Sealed subs are easier to place to get better results

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Hi Nugget - when will you be in your new room? - at least then you will be sure what the room size is. My room is 5m x 4m and the XXLS400 shakes it during some movie scenes. Also, based on the flooring/situation - you also need to consider whether a down firing or front firing sub will be best. I'll say again - I telephoned BK to ask for some advice - they were very helpful (and as it tuned out - right).

I use the XXLS400 in equal measure, it's more than enough for me when watching movies, and it has really added a lot to listening to music - supporting my standmounted speakers. I've not regretted buying it as it does both (music/movies) very well for the money - and for me.

Also, I think you should consider some 'balance' (price/spec wise) with the rest of your kit. When I looked at the specs for other subs on the market - including the MA Bronze sub that matched my 5.1 speakers - the XXLS400 had a higher/bigger spec and was less money, and had very good reviews. Yes it was a compromise, but for me a no brainer - even without a demo.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Hi Nugget - when will you be in your new room? - at least then you will be sure what the room size is. My room is 5m x 4m and the XXLS400 shakes it during some movie scenes. Also, based on the flooring/situation - you also need to consider whether a down firing or front firing sub will be best. I'll say again - I telephoned BK to ask for some advice - they were very helpful (and as it tuned out - right).

I use the XXLS400 in equal measure, it's more than enough for me when watching movies, and it has really added a lot to listening to music - supporting my standmounted speakers. I've not regretted buying it as it does both (music/movies) very well for the money - and for me.

Also, I think you should consider some 'balance' (price/spec wise) with the rest of your kit. When I looked at the specs for other subs on the market - including the MA Bronze sub that matched my 5.1 speakers - the XXLS400 had a higher/bigger spec and was less money, and had very good reviews. Yes it was a compromise, but for me a no brainer - even without a demo.

i'll be able to get the room size late may and know for sure how big it will be and what the flooring is like etc so that might help to choose a sub. thinking about if sealed will be easier to add to my system. and what do you mean price/spec wise? do you mean the rest of the kit i'm buying or what i have now? i only have dali zensor 3's. not getting a centre for a while and no surrounds for a while too.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
nugget2014 said:
jonathanRD said:

i'll be able to get the room size late may and know for sure how big it will be and what the flooring is like etc so that might help to choose a sub. thinking about if sealed will be easier to add to my system. and what do you mean price/spec wise? do you mean the rest of the kit i'm buying or what i have now? i only have dali zensor 3's. not getting a centre for a while and no surrounds for a while too.

Yeah sorry I was not very clear. I meant the rest of the kit you are buying. Assuming you get the Dali centre and rears, you want a sub that is similar (or a bit better) in size/spec to the Dali sub that would best suit that 5.1 set up - and that you dont have to pay more money for (probably less if you get a BK sub).

Not long to wait to get a proper look at your new room - patience is a virtue :)

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
nugget2014 said:
jonathanRD said:

Yeah sorry I was not very clear. I meant the rest of the kit you are buying. Assuming you get the Dali centre and rears, you want a sub that is similar (or a bit better) in size/spec to the Dali sub that would best suit that 5.1 set up - and that you dont have to pay more money for (probably less if you get a BK sub).

Not long to wait to get a proper look at your new room - patience is a virtue :)

i was thining about getting the cheap wharfedale diamond 9.1 as the rear surround's as i can't afford to get a pair of dali zensor 1's and i already am delaying buying a centre as the sub takes priority might take over a year to get the rest of the system bought or longer maybe shorter but i know one day i will have the dali centre £229 and the dali zensor 1's as surround rear's (maybe the wharfedale's first though)

most likely going to get the monolith now as taking info back from the demo i realised it's fine for the music i demo'd but only the really fast bass that it doesnt cope with well and well i have only 3 songs i think that have bass that fast (non stop rumbling for 2-3 seconds) on any album or playlist i currently own..

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
ellisdj said:
I doubt this very much. the xls400 is capable of bass like you wont imagine from a sub at that price.

The mono may give you deeper bass in the right spot in.the room.

Sealed subs are easier to place to get better results

is there any real noticeable different of a sub that'll go to 20-25hz and the mono which can go to 15hz? the only difference i can think of is the higher SPL at them low frequencies and the port which might give it more of a thump?

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
For the majority of SW you can ignore the stated freq response.

They are measured in either semi or anachaic conditions,

A lot of subs like the Xxls400 require room gain to achieve deeper frequencues so it depends on the room and placement to how deep you will actually get.at the listening position

Then you have decay to consider - the deeper the bass the more difficult it is to accurately form in a room of average donestic size. It may read ok on.the freq response but if the decay is bad then you will get boom / growl or a null and no bass there - both are.not desired.

The mono will do deeper because if the design but add to that room gain and probable modal issues and you have know what your doing to get the best from it.

Then you need to consider the fact that the deeper the bass the more volume is needed for it to be audible.- this does play right into the hands of a sub like the monolith i can imagine - but again in.the right hands

There is more to.it than this aswell. Just thinking you can plonk a sub down and rely on something like auddessey to give you great bass is a common made mistake

TRENDING THREADS