BK Sub with MF amp and ProAcs?

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Hi all
I had a listen to Chinese Dub album by Jah Wobble this weekend (cracking album by the way) and it really drove home how much bass was missing when played through the ProAcs (I've heard the album many times before and was already aware of the especially bassy bits).
Don't get me wrong, current speakers are fantastic, really well suited to 99%of my music collection but obviously won't reproduce those really low, bassy parts that you get with some types of music.
I don't listen to loads of bass heavy music, so instead of trading up the speakers (and loosing few quid along the way) I'm toying with the idea of getting a subwoofer and wonder whether something like a BK XLS200, which is the perfect size, for around £320 (or perhaps the cheaper Gemini II) would work well with the ProAcs and MF amp (see sig)?
Does anyone have any experience or thoughts regarding the BK sub. Will it work well with music (no AV use planned at all) and integrate well with my amp and speakers. Also will it take much setting up?
Room is about 4 x 6M and well furnished if that's of any use.

Any help much appreciated. Cheers.

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Spoke to a helpful chap at BK, though I decided against that route.

Based on my research, for that size room I'd say 1 or 2 XLS200. Not sure how well it will work, subs tend to divide opinion and do need careful setting up. The XLS200 has the advantage of being available as front firing. BK have a very good reputation.

Maybe someone who actually uses a sub will have better advice.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the reple paradiziac.

There certainly is some divided opinion regarding using a sub in a music only system, but I'm keen to explore this option.

Anyone else have any thoughts?:)

eddie_baby

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
dont bother your Proac have better bass than tge xls200,I had one with a set if ref 8 signatures and the bass wasn't significant. you need something much bigger to get what your after. look at a xls400 or better still a monolith.

iemslie

Jan 11, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the response eddie. I actually went with the XLS200 in the end and have been very happy with the results.

The sub isn't used constantly and as you mention the ProAc's deliver good bass for most of my listening. However the XLS200 does go a lot lower and so works quite nicely when needed. I expect the XLS400 would have been better, but I had set the budget and was determined to stick to it (which is hard with all things Hi-Fi, as there's always something better for a few more quid). Thanks for you input though:)

Cheers. Ian

eddie_baby

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Glad your happy with it, the XLS200 wasnt for me I sent it back, its all about what your happy with really and the room its used in. I would have never have said it would have improved the performance that much of a set of ProAc studios like yours.

After reading all the hype I just felt the xls200 didnt have enough weight and add that much, I know it is only a small box after all but the power is there. Ive heard subs in the past that just seemed deeper and with a slam you could phyically feel more than hear at times. I also read on forums about guys upgrading their wharefdales sw150 to xls200 who have been disapointed, I would still love to try one of their bigger subs though, the monolith and mono+ look like monsters with control.

eddie_baby

Feb 23, 2009
Visit site
Glad your happy with it, the XLS200 wasnt for me I sent it back, its all about what your happy with really and the room its used in. I would have never have said it would have improved the performance that much of a set of ProAc studios like yours.

After reading all the hype I just felt the xls200 didnt have enough weight and add that much, I know it is only a small box after all but the power is there. Ive heard subs in the past that just seemed deeper and with a slam you could phyically feel more than hear at times. I also read on forums about guys upgrading their wharefdales sw150 to xls200 who have been disapointed, I would still love to try one of their bigger subs though, the monolith and mono+ look like monsters with control.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts