Bit of Advice Please.... Sony STR-DA2400ES and speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm currently looking to move from an all in one home cinema system and take advantage of Play.com's bargain offer of the Sony STR-DA2400 ES receiver for £200!

I plan to add the Sony BDP S760 blu ray player and will also connect my PS3 and Sky HD. The bit i'm undecided on and struggling with is the speakers. I don't know alot about them as I've always had all in one's and I'm also trying to do this on a tight budget as you may have guessed!!

Can anyone please help me with this, my preference in the past has been tallboy speakers as they look better in the lounge but i'm open on this. I'm also open to other suggestions about my setup if you think there are better combinations of amp and blu ray player for the money,

Cheers...

A

Anonymous

The sony str-da 2400 @ 200stg is an absolute steal.You could go with q acoustics 2000 5.1 or you can get acoustic energys neo 5.1 both for around 500stg! good luck whatever you go for!

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Buffalodan,

A wise decision to get the Sony STR-DA2400ES. I got one myself and despite also having a Denon AVR-1910 & Denon AVR-2310 at home, it's the Sony that appeals to me for both movies and music.

As for speaker choices, I would suggest the following, based on a maximum budget of £300.00:

1. Jamo A012HCS5 £169.95

2. Q Acoustics 1010i £249.95

3. Boston Soundware XS £299.95

I've owned the Jamo and Q Acoustics and they are both good quality speaker packages and will match the Sony tonally too.

Ronald

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
grdunn123:Why the £300 max budget?? I would have thought the Sony would work best with a speakers of at least £1K???

Yes, the Sony drives my Epos (4 ohm speakers) with ease. The OP mentioned that he was working on a tight budget, hence the £300.00 cap.

AudioPlaya

Mar 28, 2009
Visit site
Hi there, I was in exactly the same boat... couldn't pass up the phenomenal BDP-S760 & STR-DA2400 £300 for the pair, truly great price. I'm more into music than film so my setup too had to be a bargain

Settled on the Monitor Audio BR range, currently they are heavily discounted due to the new BX replacement range. I already have a pair of BR2's and more than happy with the sound, the looks and build quality are way above what you would expect for the price. The key would be to shop around though as each dealer seems to have a different price on the various models... also I will be going for the BR1's as rears instead of the standard ones as quite a few folk have been underwhelmed by the rears, they do have a handy bipole/dipole function though if your room demands it. The BR1s are also far cheaper than the rears so you really are paying a premium for this function. More money for a worse speaker.

Also have a little think about the finish as dealers are running out of models and discounting, the walnut is most popular so cherry is sometimes cheaper... my BR2's are walnut, but for the AV setup I'm going with cherry, they both look the business to be honest.

Best price Ive found so far for the BR2/1 setup in cherry is £587 - BR2@£149 BR1@£100 BRLCR@£89 BRW10@£249

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
AudioPlaya:
Hi there, I was in exactly the same boat... couldn't pass up the phenomenal BDP-S760 & STR-DA2400 £300 for the pair, truly great price. I'm more into music than film so my setup too had to be a bargain

You are a wise man - brand new too! For £300.00 for both, this must be the deal of all deals! And to think they cost £900 not too long ago. Brilliant
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated. I'm checking these suggestions out as we speak....

This may sound daft but a friend at work today said I should re-use the speakers from my existing home cinema as they are Sony. I'm not even sure this is possibly but he said I would just need to change the connections!?!

Is this possible or is my mate a bit like Jay off the Inbetweeners!!

I have a Sony DAV-DZ500F which I haven't got rid of yet and the total output is 1000w....

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
I'm afraid your mate is heading in the Inbetweener direction! There are two problems in re-using the speakers: first, the impedance is much lower than a 'separates' system and will upset your amp even if it doesn't damage it; second, the sub is passive (ie not mains powered and with its own built-in amp) - also incompatible with your new amp.

However, bite the bullet and try some of the recommendations above and you will get a great result!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts