Biamping a onkyo 875

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
i have a spare arcam a70 amp, and was planning on biamping the onkyo as i am not a fan of the music even on pure / direct mode. it has new B&W 683's and i was wondering if anyone has done it, and has any advice on how to get the best from it.

Thanks, Ian

Messiah

I would expect you may get a better sound by connecting the the 875 to the Arcam using the front pre-outs rather than as a power amp such as:

Using a Stereo Amp with an AV Amp

To do this your AV Amp must have pre-outs for the front left and right channels

1. Connect the front pre-outs on the AV Amp to a spare input (excluding phono) on the stereo amp. (Maybe Aux)
2. Ensure the left and right front speakers are connected to the stereo amp. (May seem obvious I know!) and leave all other speakers connected to the receiver.
3. Select the input on the Stereo Amp that the AV Amp is connected to.
4. Set the volume on the Stereo Amp to a memorable position. A lot of people recommend the 12 o'clock position.
5. Run the speaker calibration set up.

Now that this is set up you can enjoy the best of both worlds!

When you want to watch a movie you need to ensure both amps are on and the input the receiver is connected to is selected. Then set the volume back to the 12 o'clock position and enjoy! (Remember to return the volume on the Stereo Amp back to it's normal position before you switch inputs!!)

To listen in stereo you just need to use the Stereo Amp. (Ensure your stereo components such as a CD player are connected to the Stereo Amp and not the AV Amp). The AV amp is left off.

EDIT - The Arcam may have a HT bypass which will disable the need to adjust the volume.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, i'll give it a go tomorrow. i think the arcam does have the ht bypass on it.

A

Anonymous

i have a onkyo 905 bi-wired with qed genesis speaker cable to castle harlech speakers. i have been looking into how to get a better stereo sound as my speakers seem to give very little atmosphere compared to when i had my speakers wired to my old marantz 6010 ki amp even with much cheaper speaker cable. it does seem a good way to go & use the onkyo preouts to a power amp to improve stereo sound. please let us know how you get on with it the change.

A

Anonymous

I have an Onkyo NR905 which is roughly comparable with the 875 I beleive which I use bi-amped (which does make a considerable difference which I'm not convinced bi-wiring does) with a pair of Jamo C809 front speakers. Used in Pure Audio mode with an Airport Express (digital output) streaming a variety of material as a souce it sounds to my old ears very satisfying which I guess is all that counts.

I do sort of hanker after an upgrade though but given that at full RRP the Onkyo was around 1400GBP I can't beleive a budget stereo amp to drive the front speakers is going to be an improvement.

I know its a how long is a piece of string sort of question but what sort of level of amp would I be looking at? Anyone have any ideas?

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
2oldnslow:

I have an Onkyo NR905 which is roughly comparable with the 875 I beleive which I use bi-amped (which does make a considerable difference which I'm not convinced bi-wiring does) with a pair of Jamo C809 front speakers. Used in Pure Audio mode with an Airport Express (digital output) streaming a variety of material as a souce it sounds to my old ears very satisfying which I guess is all that counts.

I do sort of hanker after an upgrade though but given that at full RRP the Onkyo was around 1400GBP I can't beleive a budget stereo amp to drive the front speakers is going to be an improvement.

I know its a how long is a piece of string sort of question but what sort of level of amp would I be looking at? Anyone have any ideas?

A new stereo amp of £500 would be a good place to start to demo.The theory was that the stereo at 1/3rd of the price should be the equivalent.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
darren123:i have a onkyo 905 bi-wired with qed genesis speaker cable to castle harlech speakers. i have been looking into how to get a better stereo sound as my speakers seem to give very little atmosphere compared to when i had my speakers wired to my old marantz 6010 ki amp even with much cheaper speaker cable. it does seem a good way to go & use the onkyo preouts to a power amp to improve stereo sound. please let us know how you get on with it the change.

I reckon if you connected your Marantz amp up as Messiah states above you would see an improvement. For one interconnect and altering your cables around which should not take long it has got to be worth a try. I recommend your do the set up with the amp at 10 o'clock as you won't deafen yourself when you revert to stereo mode.

A

Anonymous

Have it in mind to try and audition a Roksan Kandy when I'm next in the UK. Speakers will be a problem as I intend when I retire next year to utilise the Jamo C809 package I have out here in the Middle East and they're not exactly everyones idea of a HiFi speaker I guess

In their review WHF described them (the fronts) as "they produce a sound of such breadth and power, you'd be forgiven for thinking your music and movie soundtracks have suddenly been injected with more scale and detail"

Certainly bi-amped from the Onkyo they're all of that and I certainly enjoy the "energy they impart" so realistically should I be maybe looking at something higher powered ?

TRENDING THREADS