Question Bi-wiring

Mar 11, 2022
Visit site
Hi all,

I have speakers that can bi-wired (Castle Knight 5). From what I have read, removing the plates that shorts the 2 terminals and running 2 wires for each L and R should improve the sound. The thing I don't understand is that you are removing a short with very little electrical resistance by introducing another quasi-short (2 wires from positive and 2 other from negatives on the amp's outputs), possibly adding a few tenths of ohm between the speaker terminals.

There is probably something I don't understand here, but is someone savvy enough to explain the advantage?

You can get very technical, I have a degree in electrical engineering (although I spent my career in computer programming).

Thank you,
Michel

In that article I was against it but for a change I have reverted to bi-wiring and the sound is different. What I suggest is try it and see if you prefer it.
Then sell on your biwire cables?
the OP is correct electronically as there will be no measurable or audible difference, in my opinion, only a difference in your bank balance......
I have tried to convince myself otherwise several times over the years to no effect
that's just my ears though.
There are no dead certs in hifi, you just have to suck it and see.
They may call them biwire terminals but I am convinced they are only three should you wish to biamp.

Last edited:

shadders

Post #11 in that thread gives the link to the Q Acoustics / QED article.
Hi,
I scanned the article, and without the actual data, it looks like that the IMD present is not due to the cables, but due to the loudspeaker driver units and crossover components.

Of course, the IMD due to the tweeter and HF crossover components do not appear significantly in the bass frequency cable and vice versa.

If you were to add the figure 6 red trace, to the figure 7 green trace, you would get the original blue trace of total IMD.

Any IMD generated described in the article is not due to the cable, else a null test will show cables generating distortion, and the cables manufacturers would be using this as a marketing tool/evidence.

The article states :
"The theory in favour of bi-wiring is that if both low and high frequencies are present in the same conductor unwanted distortions can be created."
This is just not possible.Hifi cables do not create unwanted distortions. If they did, then again, the cble companies would present the evidence and market their cables as "less distorting".

Regards,
Shadders.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts