Bi-Wiring Kef R300s?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone,

This is not a GENERAL question about bi-wiring, but specifically for those who have experience with the Kef R300s: Have you tried bi-wiring them, and, if yes, to what effect?

My own experience with bi-wiring is very mixed, some speakers thrive on it (e.g. Linn Majik 109s) and others seem fairly indifferent to it.

Thanks,

Tom

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
My own at home are single wired (never tried bi-wiring at home), and we usualy use them at work bi-wired (unless we use Chord Epic, then we single wire them). Still a great sounding speaker whichever way you use them. I'd rather have a single run of Epic than a bi-wire run of Odyssey. There are many variables.

I agree that some speakers respond better to bi-wiring than others, but on the whole, it's not usually something I tend to worry about - what's more important is choosing the right speaker in the first place. Which you have. Don't worry :)

utrecht

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
With reference to these speakers, how do they perform at low-level, near field listening (classical and acoustic)? I'm currently torn between them and the Harbeth P3ESR. Only the KEF can I audition, but not at home.

Excitable Boy

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site
TDR,

I have tried bi-wiring my new R500s, and feel there is a slight improvement in clarity, but it's marginal. They sound great single wired too ! :) As David says above, there are many factors in play here - as always it's best to try it in your actual listening situation if at all possible.

kmlav

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
I am bi amping mine and they sound great. But to be fair they also sounded great before that .... overall they are a great unit.

A

Anonymous

I have just changed from Odyssey 2 single wire cable to Odyssey 4 bi wire cable for my KEF R300's and I found it improved the sound stage quite significantly. Greater depth and clarity particularly to the mid range. The bass is also a little more controlled. I was very sceptical about bi wiring however with the R300's being a 3 way speaker I thought it was worth a try I am pleased I did!

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
I have tried bi-wiring, bi-amping, single wiring and replacing the speaker manufacture links with a short lenght cable from the current cables (single wiring)

Bi-amping worked with an AV Receiver or a Processor (In other case I found no difference)

bi-wiring and replacing the manufacture provided links between terminals with with short length cables provided the same effect.

In both the above there is an improved clarity and soundstage (which gives a feel of loss of bass but not really) and in the first case there is an additional control and ease in the first case.

A

Anonymous

I tried the replacing of the metal bridges first with small runs of the Odyssey 2 cable I was using however I did notice an improvement over this option when trying the bi wire route. I think it is very much system dependant and what sounds best to the listener rather than what is right or wrong?

My System

PC (lossless files) -- Rega Dac--Rega Brio R Amplifier--KEF R300's

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts