Bi-Wiring - is it worth it?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

TrevC

sublime said:
Bi-wiring my Acoustic Energy AE 120s made a big improvement. Bigger sound with more presence - extremely obvious to the listener. Would this be down to more available current to the drivers? I don't know much about these things but have read that the AE120's needed current to really come alive

Perhaps your original speaker cables weren't up to scratch.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
sublime said:
Bi-wiring my Acoustic Energy AE 120s made a big improvement. Bigger sound with more presence - extremely obvious to the listener. Would this be down to more available current to the drivers? I don't know much about these things but have read that the AE120's needed current to really come alive

I used the same cables - when i purchased the speakers the dealer threw in some huge AE tri-wire cables that I used for a while in a tri-wire setup. Tri-wiring wasn't any different forom using a single wire but bi-amping was a marked step forward

TrevC said:
nopiano said:
TrevC said:
If you use a 100 watt for LF and a 20 watt for the HF your maximum power is then only 20 watts per channel.

Isn't that a bit misleading, Trev, because your HF component is unlikely to be more than a watt or two with real music (can't speak for electropop) even if the LF requires tens of watts. That would be the case with one regular stereo amp and standard wiring. The 'maximum' is not really the point, is it?

If they are gain matched both amplifiers are amplifying the entire signal to the same level, so the 20W one will clip on the bass much earlier that the 100 W one. The square wave products from the clipping distortion from the bass will therefore be fed into the HF section of your speaker if you attempt to go above 20W.
I was assuming they were being fed with signal after an active crossover, hence only getting their portion of the signal. I guess there are many permutations disguised by the overal title of bi-amping?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:

I used the same cables - when i purchased the speakers the dealer threw in some huge AE tri-wire cables that I used for a while in a tri-wire setup. Tri-wiring wasn't any different forom using a single wire but bi-amping was a marked step forward

Let's get this right, did you bi-AMP or bi-WIRE because you've said both in the space of two posts?

TrevC

nopiano said:
TrevC said:
nopiano said:
TrevC said:
If you use a 100 watt for LF and a 20 watt for the HF your maximum power is then only 20 watts per channel.

Isn't that a bit misleading, Trev, because your HF component is unlikely to be more than a watt or two with real music (can't speak for electropop) even if the LF requires tens of watts. That would be the case with one regular stereo amp and standard wiring. The 'maximum' is not really the point, is it?

If they are gain matched both amplifiers are amplifying the entire signal to the same level, so the 20W one will clip on the bass much earlier that the 100 W one. The square wave products from the clipping distortion from the bass will therefore be fed into the HF section of your speaker if you attempt to go above 20W.
I was assuming they were being fed with signal after an active crossover, hence only getting their portion of the signal. I guess there are many permutations disguised by the overal title of bi-amping?

I made it pretty clear. "passive variety, with the speaker crossovers in place"

TrevC

sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:

Were your ears syringed at any time during the changeover?

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:

Let's get this right, did you bi-AMP or bi-WIRE because you've said both in the space of two posts?

Sorry for the confusion.

Arcam alpha 9 to AE120's - single wire or tri wire - makes no difference

Arcam Alpha 9 and 9P (power amp) in a bi-amp set up - big difference

I had the Alpha 9P running the bass and the Alpha 9 integrated running the mids and top.

sublime

May 14, 2014
Visit site
TrevC said:
sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:

twice - and also plucked my nose hairs if I remember rightly

TrevC

sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:
TrevC said:
sublime said:

twice - and also plucked my nose hairs if I remember rightly

Ah! There you have it, you modified the acoustics.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts