Bi-wire question

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
If a speaker is bi-wire capable but only singly wired and the joiners between the lugs are not in place, should that matter?

I only ask because mine are not there, only noticed today but I never thought the sound lacked.

Or else my hearing is bad

The jumper bars definitely need to be on the terminals or the sound will only come from one driver(probably the LF one),if you can't hear how bad a single LF driver on a speaker sounds...you definitely must be deaf.lol.but seriously you need to sort it before you do some irreparable damage to your speakers.

floyd droid62

Sep 29, 2016
Visit site
muljao said:
If a speaker is bi-wire capable but only singly wired and the joiners between the lugs are not in place, should that matter?

I only ask because mine are not there, only noticed today but I never thought the sound lacked.

Or else my hearing is bad
for the life of me ,how could you not tell? you need a hearing test*smile*

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Ok guys I feel silly. It's the jpw ml 510. They are bi wireable but were never bi wired them.

There are no jumpers on them. In fact the connectors are on ridged surfaces so they would be quite big. Honestly, the speakers are working 100 percent. There is nothing missing from the sound. I have even asked a friend to listen (as he has quite high end gear) and he reckons all is fine.

I am going to make jumpers for speaker cable tomorrow to see if there is a difference,
Yours truly,
Baffled

muljao said:
Ok guys I feel silly. It's the jpw ml 510. They are bi wireable but were never bi wired them.

There are no jumpers on them. In fact the connectors are on ridged surfaces so they would be quite big. Honestly, the speakers are working 100 percent. There is nothing missing from the sound. I have even asked a friend to listen (as he has quite high end gear) and he reckons all is fine.

I am going to make jumpers for speaker cable tomorrow to see if there is a difference, Yours truly, Baffled
If the tweeters are working there must be some sort of internal jumper that achieves that. Googling pictures shows none with jumpers that look like they came from the factory. I've never come across a bi-wired speaker without links or a switch to couple both sets of terminals.

Do you have the original instructions, which might clarify the arrangement?

nopiano said:
muljao said:

I am going to make jumpers for speaker cable tomorrow to see if there is a difference, Yours truly, Baffled
If the tweeters are working there must be some sort of internal jumper that achieves that. Googling pictures shows none with jumpers that look like they came from the factory. I've never come across a bi-wired speaker without links or a switch to couple both sets of terminals.

Do you have the original instructions, which might clarify the arrangement?

Perhaps they are connected top Red and bottom Black?

muljao said:
I am going to make jumpers for speaker cable tomorrow to see if there is a difference,

From your description it looks like you are about to significantly upgrade the sound of your JPW speakers! Only do not forget to use exactly the same wire for your jumpers as used to link speakers with the amplifier. OK, I'm joking.

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Well I don't feel as stupid now. I never bi-wired them and I never removed connecting lugs, but the manual is long gone. After scouring the net I found this nugget, this must be why I never thought about it first day

-(I had a pair of JPW ML-510's I bought for rear surround duties about 13 years ago. In the manual it explicitly stated that the 2 pairs of terminals were internally connected together and you would need to remove the terminal block and pull the internal jumpers off to biwire. A couple of years later one of the terminals broke off the back of the speakers so I just used the other pair. It worked fine so this rather proved to me that they were internally connected.)

Thanks all

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I have no intention of going near it. I had a set of missions years ago and bi-wired them, running a second set of cable a few months after initially installing them, rather than just doing it first day. It made no difference to my ears

I only asked because if that internal link was not there I had not my speakers set up correctly, but in my head I knew they sounded right

nopiano said:
That makes sense now! So to bi-wire them you actually need to break that internal link. I'd suggest leaving well alone!!

It does indeed, cunning old JPW. Making bi-wiring more difficult like this often puts people off doing it, because it's a waste of time and money, however leaving the option available is sensible.

This also explains why all photos I have managed to find of the rear of these speakers show no sign of external connections.

thewinelake.

Jan 22, 2016
Visit site
But presumably it means that they can be bi-amped as well, which (with a dsp crossover) might be worthwhile.

but I wonder if elements of the passive crossover remains in place and if that can be removed?

thewinelake. said:
But presumably it means that they can be bi-amped as well, which (with a dsp crossover) might be worthwhile.

but I wonder if elements of the passive crossover remains in place and if that can be removed?

Oh dear.... leave it out. Anyone wanting to do that to such speakers needs to readjust their mission in life and bank balance.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts