Bi-wire or not?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I'm looking at purchasing a denon DM37DAB an wharfdale diamond 9.1 package from superfi. Just wondering would it sound any better if the speakers were bi-wired or not? Also what interconnect would you recommend between the DM37 and a denon ASD11R dock?

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Are you aware that the Diamond 9.1s have been superseded by 10s?

FWIW, I bi-wired my 9.1s & heard a difference - more detail & separation.

However, others think bi-wiring is a waste of time...

A

Anonymous

I know the 10s are out but there is a good offer on for the 9.1s. They are still good, I prefer the look of the 9s to compared to the 10s. What cable would u recommend?

A

Anonymous

Usually, with entry-level speakers I've found no difference between single-wiring and bi-wiring.

But still, what's useful about bi-wiring (even if by itself it doesn't improve the sound in inexpensive speakers) is that you can tune using different cables for the tweeter and the woofer. For instance, if the speakers are bright, you can use a cable with soft highs, such as a VdH CS-352 on HF, and use a PS Audio on the LF if you want more bass, etc.

OWL4

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Our friend who have replied just before me, referred to a very good feature of bi-wiringbi-amping, which we are able to use different cables with their own characterestics.

But in terms he claimed that usually there's no difference obtained after bi-wiring entry level loudspeakers, I should mention that I have Wharfedale Pacific PI10 bookshelf speakers for 11 years which were not expensive at all and I am using them bi-amplified, comparing to used by one integrated amp. the difference is obvious on every matter and the sound steps on higher degrees of quality, control and even transparency, but I have not tested them bi-wired yet with one amplifier. In your case I'm sure you'll obtain benefits from just bi-wiring your Diamonds 9.1. I have listened to 9.1 on my system, main characters of sound were equal to my Pacific version, so I have to say with confidence that you are doing the right thing on your 9.1s.

Morover I also have Denon M38 connected to pair of bookshelf speakers with higher quality than Denon default speakers and the result is quite satisfying, so this version of Denon is also tested and is happy to accept good quality bookshelves.

So don't hesiatate and enjoy.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
What Hi-Fi's review of the Wharfedale Jade 5 stated that "It's only when you bi-wire that the track starts to unravel: single wire gets better results.".

Wouldn't it be strange if the higher range Jade gets better results from single wiring, while the lower end Diamond prefers bi-wiring?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
A classic contribution, even by your standards! :)

That was me being helpful, pointing out to the poster not to expect a response from the OP because he's not likely to still be here.

I've never tried bi-wiring, so cannot add to the debate.

Annoyingly, I CAN contribute to the debate, so I might as well, I bi-wired my speakers when I got them a good few years ago, I felt I heard a slight improvement in the upper frequencies but I can't promise I didn't imagine it, I've left the cable runs in place though, largely because I can't find the jumper bars (I know I could jump with speaker cable but logically that's no different to bi-wiring anyway, so I don't see the point in swapping back).

bigmoose

May 9, 2009
Visit site
I tried bi-wiring my stereo and could not hear a noticeable difference (At least I couldn't tell if I was imagining things or not) - I'm one of "those" who can hear differences in speaker cables.

In the end, I choose to bi-wire because the cost was exactly the same as the single wire for my set of cables. If you need to buy 2 pairs of cables, I would rather recommend single wiring and get upgraded cables.

paulhh1967

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
It's better to spend your money on good single-wire cable than buying bi-wire cable.

Just remove those brass plates between the Hi and LO links.

Strip your good single wire cable for about 2,5 inch and fix them between these links.

Don't spend xtra money on bi-wire cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts