Better mastered music could be on the way!

Page 29 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

Like I say, lack of class...you could have phrased your original comments to Mirren Boy better, so bleating on about the whys and wherefores of your earlier post is neither here nor there. You should just apologise to him for your ill mannered approach, then you'd get more credit for that than anything else you've put in here..

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
the record spot said:
Like I say, lack of class...you could have phrased your original comments to Mirren Boy better, so bleating on about the whys and wherefores of your earlier post is neither here nor there. You should just apologise to him for your ill mannered approach, then you'd get more credit for that than anything else you've put in here..

"And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?"

Matthew 7:3

King James Bible (Cambridge Ed.)

T

the record spot

Wouldn;t it just have been easier to make a point without the overtly showy Biblical quote? Are we going to have a little competition? Who can quote most passages out the Bible? Life, it's just too short....but if you do want to show-off about it, here's one for you:-

"For the sin of their mouths, the words of their lips, let them be trapped in their pride. For the cursing and lies that they utter..."

T

the record spot

I'd also point interested parties over to the Steve Hoffman forum. Guys like Barry Diament occasionally chime in with their mastering expertise, likewise the host himself. Found that site back in 2006 I think, maybe 2007. Invaluable resource for anyone interested in mastering.

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
An interesting take ok all this "Bit" discussion from a studio engineer.

http://kenrockwell.com/audio/why-cds-sound-great.htm

Now Ken Rockwell is pretty outspoken and as we know from experience people like him that go against the grain of traditional Hi-Fi beliefs aren't that well received (his piece on "What is an Audiophile?" will wind up many as well but has a lot of truth in it!).

I know Mr Rockwell's site from the photography side where his views are equally taken with credibility and disdain as well. While guys like him can upset many, their opinion they can also be useful in encouraging a reality-check and offering perspective outside the closed community of hobbyist forums.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Ken Rockwell said:
An audiophile will waste days comparing the sound of power cords or different kinds of solder, but won't even notice that his speakers are out-of-phase.

Interesting that this has been linked to now when this precise point has just been illustrated on the forum. Get the best speakers for you, decent amplification and good red book recordings and enjoy the music :)

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
BenLaw said:
Ken Rockwell said:
An audiophile will waste days comparing the sound of power cords or different kinds of solder, but won't even notice that his speakers are out-of-phase.

Interesting that this has been linked to now when this precise point has just been illustrated on the forum. Get the best speakers for you, decent amplification and good red book recordings and enjoy the music :)

I know, I only pop in occasionally lately! Sorry! :D

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AEJim said:
Now Ken Rockwell is pretty outspoken and as we know from experience people like him that go against the grain of traditional Hi-Fi beliefs aren't that well received (his piece on "What is an Audiophile?" will wind up many as well but has a lot of truth in it!).

I enjoyed reading this link, though while making some incisive and valid points, it is a little "black and white".

Growing up with musical parents and playing an instrument (badly), means that for me (though some may question it), it is all about the music....which is why I love going to live classical concerts.

In my case, something makes it into my system only if it enhances the enjoyment....so (the right) equipment is purely a means to an end for maximizing enjoyment; cables and various tweakery (for me) is about maximizing the system (ie. not about getting a thrill from the hunt). Once I have got it right, it can often stay unchanged for years (20 years in the case of my previous 2 channel system).

In other words, the two notions "needn't" be mutually exclusive.

One of the benefits of my current convalescence is that I'm now listening to much more music on a daily basis.

Sorry for the side track.

Cno

AEJim

Nov 17, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
AEJim said:

I enjoyed reading this link, though while making some incisive and valid points, it is a little "black and white".

Growing up with musical parents and playing an instrument (badly), means that for me (though some may question it), it is all about the music....which is why I love going to live classical concerts.

In my case, something makes it into my system only if it enhances the enjoyment....so (the right) equipment is purely a means to an end for maximizing enjoyment; cables and various tweakery (for me) is about maximizing the system (ie. not about getting a thrill from the hunt). Once I have got it right, it can often stay unchanged for years (20 years in the case of my previous 2 channel system).

In other words, the two notions "needn't" be mutually exclusive.

One of the benefits of my current convalescence is that I'm now listening to much more music on a daily basis.

Sorry for the side track.

Cno

I agree Cno, it's the problem with anyone who argues a point too strongly without being open to other opinions (no matter how right or wrong they may be), they come accross as brash and diminish their own points.

Like you I tend to stick with a system I'm happy with and enjoy the music - that said there is some music that sounds so badly mastered it puts you off, I think Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" CD is one that stands out to me from memory - and I remember that from buying it new in my youth so it must have been poor! Some systems can help or hinder such recordings but as Mr Rockwell points out there's a certainly a point where "enthusiasts" go just a little too far at times! :)

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
AEJim said:
Like you I tend to stick with a system I'm happy with and enjoy the music - that said there is some music that sounds so badly mastered it puts you off, I think Bon Jovi's "New Jersey" CD is one that stands out to me from memory - and I remember that from buying it new in my youth so it must have been poor!

I totally agree that music can be "ruined" by poor mastering, more than it can (possibly) be "improved" by 24 bit...so that is where the priority needs to be.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Here's an interesting 8-minute vid of jaunty 10-piece band Rubblebucket during a recording session: episode 1 of a Benchmark-sponsored series, Masters From Their Day.

The track can also be downloaded FOC, as an MP3 or a 24/88 (the latter "for professional-grade playback systems only", mind). And... the track is compressed to ****.

Watch the vid, then scroll down to the forum's Q&As, where the producer / engineer, Elias Gwinn, outlines his reasons for the compression - clickings

manicm

the record spot said:
manicm said:
Hmmm, now where is that receipt of that Prefab Sprout: Jordan The Comeback CD I forced my parents to buy me for my 17th birthday???? Does that store even exist anymore? :wall: :doh: :? Oh enforcers here, where were you all those years ago :rant:

That would've been your parents responsibility - nae luck son!

Jings, out of all the CDs ye've got, you had to pick to one you never bought... #epicfail

#epicfail?, when ideas fall, cliches rise.

manicm

AEJim said:

I know Mr Rockwell's site from the photography side where his views are equally taken with credibility and disdain as well. While guys like him can upset many, their opinion they can also be useful in encouraging a reality-check and offering perspective outside the closed community of hobbyist forums.

Fair enough Jim, but in truth many here unwittingly would disagree with Ken when he states that that CD playback is 100% error-free and bit-perfect. Since many believe that PC playback off a hard drive would be superior as there's apparently no error-correction to worry about.

Circles, circles.

T

the record spot

manicm said:
the record spot said:
manicm said:
Hmmm, now where is that receipt of that Prefab Sprout: Jordan The Comeback CD I forced my parents to buy me for my 17th birthday???? Does that store even exist anymore? :wall: :doh: :? Oh enforcers here, where were you all those years ago :rant:

That would've been your parents responsibility - nae luck son!

Jings, out of all the CDs ye've got, you had to pick to one you never bought... #epicfail

#epicfail?, when ideas fall, cliches rise.

God, that was a quick year...

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
manicm said:
AEJim said:

Fair enough Jim, but in truth many here unwittingly would disagree with Ken when he states that that CD playback is 100% error-free and bit-perfect. Since many believe that PC playback off a hard drive would be superior as there's apparently no error-correction to worry about.

Circles, circles.

Hum.. am a music producer but dn't agree with most of the audiophlle wirte up... do some waste money yes, do some hears things that are not there yes of course. Yes to justify loads & loads of money spent.. But who is to say what u must do with ur Hifi or music. To some there looking to better the listening experience. For others its just a hobby. Boys & toys really. Nothing wrong with that..

manicm

Native_bon said:
manicm said:
AEJim said:

Circles, circles.

Hum.. am a music producer but dn't agree with most of the audiophlle wirte up... do some waste money yes, do some hears things that are not there yes of course. Yes to justify loads & loads of money spent.. But who is to say what u must do with ur Hifi or music. To some there looking to better the listening experience. For others its just a hobby. Boys & toys really. Nothing wrong with that..

Indeed I was being sarcastic, cos some of us who still play CDs (personally out of necessity at the moment, not because I don't want to experiment), will be burnt at the stake you see...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts