Best way to use headphones

flippo

Jul 15, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

For my upcoming 40th birthday my family are to treat me to some headphones, the question i have is which ones would benifit me the most?

The way i mainly listen to music is via a macbook pro using mp3's and apple lossless files which are sent wirelessly to an apple airport which is wired to a dennon f103 music system.

Do i connect something like the Sennheiser Momentums directly to the headphone socket on the Denon and still stream wirelessly or would i be better to get a DAC like the HRT microstreamer and some Philips Fidelio M1 headphones and connect direct to the macbook?.

Or possibly wait for the new Sony walkman as this gives me even more flexability?

Many Thanks

Phil

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
flippo said:
Best way to use headphones

Generally on your ears :) sorry, couldn't help myself.

Since you're going to have the mac switched on to listen to music anyway, it would make sense to get a USB DAC/headamp to get the best quality. But it depends on where you like to listen, it might be more convenient to listen via your Denon. I would steer clear of the Philips Fidelio M1's though, they sound awful and you wouldn't reap the full benefits of a DAC/headamp with them.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
Just get the best headphones you can afford, and at a later date you can think about a dedicated headphone amp/DAC if you so desire.

Check out Audio-Technica and Beyerdynamic for the headphones, they have some real corkers.

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
flippo said:
Hi, Do i connect something like the Sennheiser Momentums directly to the headphone socket on the Denon and still stream wirelessly or would i be better to get a DAC like the HRT microstreamer and some Philips Fidelio M1 headphones and connect direct to the macbook?. Phil

The Microstreamer-to-Macbook-to-headphone gives the best sound, but choose a better headphone. The M1 is one of the worst I've ever reviewed.

A

Anonymous

Any dedicated DAC/amp should sound better, but you need to state your budget really and test them all yourself, with a friendly dealer, if possible.

Depends on what sound signature you prefer and types of music really, as well as volume. Oh, nice to see some nice manners on here too, so best of luck!

dalethorn

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Well the OP only said thanks, whereas previously you requested please and thank you. Double standards it seems.[/quote]

Too late for a sound thrashing, I suppose? hehe

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts