Best way to improve an Ipod based system?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Krish...

This will work (and has lightning connector)...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14111-arcam-rdock-uni-ipod-dock.aspx

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rseries,iPod-Docks,rDockuni.htm

Direct digital connection (via lightning conection) with it's own built-in DAC.

Half the price of my first suggestion (irDAC).

Similar (and cheaper) devices are made by Cambridge Audio (ID50 and ID100) but their digital docks are all pictured with the 'old style' Apple connectors...

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/products/id50-premium-docking-station

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Krish...

This will work (and has lightning connector)...

http://www.superfi.co.uk/p-14111-arcam-rdock-uni-ipod-dock.aspx

http://www.arcam.co.uk/products,rseries,iPod-Docks,rDockuni.htm

Direct digital connection (via lightning conection) with it's own built-in DAC.

Half the price of my first suggestion (irDAC).

Actually this is correct, the Touch Gen 5 has the lightening connector, I thought it was the last model with the old connector, it's not, so the i20 and the Cambridge will not work.

A cheaper option might well be an AEX.

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
the record spot said:
You know Dave, I wouldn't have the foggiest. I only used one this way for a couple of years.

RS, I am quite impressed by the way you are using Onkyo in your current set up and I am pretty sure most current AVRs are very capable DACs, pre & power built into one single convenient unit. My current focus is also AVRs for both music and movie duties instead of a seperate HiFi amp.

However, in the case of the iPod digital out connection trhough 3.5mm out, I am afraid, it is only available on selected Macs (Mac Mini, Macbook pro etc) and not even available on MBA. I am very surprised that you are able to get any sound out of the DAC with the mentioned cable connected between iPod and DAC.

I have a feeling that I am missing some thing out here in this equation :doh:

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
davedotco said:
The simple solution is to use a Pure i20 and take the analogue outs direct to your amp. You are using the i20's onboard dac which can be upgraded with an outboard dac or dac/amp at you leisure.

Pure i20 has the old 30 pin connector. (Pity.)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
davedotco said:
The simple solution is to use a Pure i20 and take the analogue outs direct to your amp. You are using the i20's onboard dac which can be upgraded with an outboard dac or dac/amp at you leisure.

Pure i20 has the old 30 pin connector. (Pity.)

Yeah, as I said above, my mistake.

Docks seem to be rather out of fashion, few if any budget options with the 'new' Lightening connector.

Aex looks the best bet, assuming you have a network for setup.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-Bluetooth-Technology-Smartphones-Bluetooth-Enabled/dp/B00DSNWM2K

something likee this is a cheap, neat was of getting the music to your system wirelessly

QED also do one called the uPlay, with the more advanced aptx

http://www.qed.co.uk/wireless_bluetooth/qed_uplay/qed_uplay_plus_wireless_bluetooth_receiver.html

otherwise I'd have a look at an Airport Express or Apple TV.

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
hmm they really do make it hard to improve the sound from an ipod ey. another option i have is use an apple airport express? and then use airplay to stream the music but will this give any improvement in sound quality?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
krish123 said:
hmm they really do make it hard to improve the sound from an ipod ey. another option i have is use an apple airport express? and then use airplay to stream the music but will this give any improvement in sound quality?

Apple don't really have a choice in this.

Limiting access to the digital data stream as part of the agreements involving the whole iTunes empire. The record companies insist on some form of copy management.

T

the record spot

davedotco said:
A cheaper option might well be an AEX.

Ah... *slight shuffling*

This might have been it. Where's the red faced thingy again...???

Apologies, unreservedly, to all parties for the confusion. Hey I'm nearly 50. Oh hang on, here it is...

:oops: :oops: :oops: :help: :oops: :oops: :oops:

T

the record spot

WishTree said:
RS, I am quite impressed by the way you are using Onkyo in your current set up and I am pretty sure most current AVRs are very capable DACs, pre & power built into one single convenient unit. My current focus is also AVRs for both music and movie duties instead of a seperate HiFi amp.

However, in the case of the iPod digital out connection trhough 3.5mm out, I am afraid, it is only available on selected Macs (Mac Mini, Macbook pro etc) and not even available on MBA. I am very surprised that you are able to get any sound out of the DAC with the mentioned cable connected between iPod and DAC.

I have a feeling that I am missing some thing out here in this equation :doh:

Aherm, (more shuffling), there's no issue with the current amp, when I use that on the odd occasion, I use the USB in. My failing memory forgot that I used the AEX before. Probably with a different cable too!!! Think I probably just need a lie down. Till my brain catches up with my fingers at any rate....

EDIT: Thanks for the kind words re: the 818. Very capable amp, think the DAC's Burr-Brown. It's a big old thing, but acts as a fine hub.

T

the record spot

Somebody else's advice as well before that I think mate...!!!!!

J

jcbrum

It might be important to say the the Apple Airport Express does have optical digital out from the earphone socket, as well as analogue stereo. You simply plug a digital optical cable, or an analogue copper cable, according to your choice.

This will enable use of Airplay, to get the signal wirelessly from the portable device to the Airport Express. It's about the simplest high quality way of doing it.

JC

J

jcbrum

There is no analogue sound out on an Atv, which has HDMI and s/pdif toslink optical digital ports, but that fine if you're using it with a television set, as Richard says.

J

jcbrum

I think the suggestion is mostly intended to give you a digital feed, rather than an analogue signal, so that you can use a DAC and amplifier chain of your choice.

Personally I think the analogue out from a current iPod or a new style Airport Express is pretty good.

JC

krish123

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
One other idea i had guys was (if possible) to use my cd players dac and somehow play my ipod through that? My cd player is a sugden cd21 mk2 so its a decent player. so is this possible to do ?

J

jcbrum

krish123 said:
all it has is one analogue output and one digital coaxal output thats all.

It would seem there is no way to use it as an external DAC.

JC

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts