Best upgrade route

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Hi all

In your opinion, what would be my best upgrade option? I currently own Pioneer KRP500 tv, (which i am happy with so no problems there), connected to a 2011 Pioneer VSX-LX55 amp with KEF Egg 5.1 surround speakers. This is the area that i am unhappy with.

My question relate to which path do i go down to upgrade? Which is the weak spot in the system? My choices are: do i upgrade the amp first, or would i notice more improvement replacing the speakers? f i upgrade the amp, i want either a LX58, or funds permitting, the LX88. If i change the speakers, i am leaning towards the DALI Zensor either 1's or 7's. Will only know this when i've listened to them.

So guys, what are your thoughts? Both amp and speakers will be replaced, but just not at the same time.

Many thanks in advance

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
I dont really know how good the Kef eggs are but the speakers is the first thing I thought of as well

Maybe explain what your unhappy with in the sound reproduction department and maybe better advice can come from it??

You might just need a new sub and can keep the speakers?? tell us more?

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your replies, guys. It just doesn't sound immersive anymore. that's the only way i can describe it. I think time has moved on and my system hasn't. The speakers were never great in my opinion, but at the time they were the only ones the wife would allow. Centre speaker not withstanding, i know i can get the Zensor 1's past her but will have to see about the 7's.

With regard to the amp, i will replace it at some stage. I have to admit i wondered if i should change the speakers first (cheaper option-if only just!). i just hope that they will give me more, well, everything really.

gsyx123

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
After reading some more speaker reviews, i can't help thinking ' is a full set of speakers that cost nearly £3000 (KEF R100 5.1) really twice as good as ones in the £1500 bracket? I know everything is subjective, but would the ordinary man in the street notice the difference and would the extra money be better spent else where?

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi there.

First off I don't know the KEF package you have so I'm wondering was the speaker cable that came with them really thin and did you use it to set the system up?

You could try buying as think a speaker cable as can fit in the connection ports of the Eggs and do another amp mic calibration. You may be suprised what a difference better speaker cable can make. This is all if your other half won't go for new speakers (don't let her read this lol)

I would defineitly go for new speakers first and let you amp show you what its capable of. I have the SC-LX73 and know I'm holding it back with my current speakers (surrounds mainly)

Good luck. Make sure your other half gets to hear what the 7s can do agains your KEFs. Try a home demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts