Best TV for £1000?

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
At the end of next month (october 30th) I am looking to replace my ageing but briliant Tosh WLT66. I have been watching prices and reviews keenly and though I am tempted by the sony 40w4000 due to the amazing reviews I am not 100% sure yet. I looked at the 3500x in the sony store along side the w and was mightly impressed though I think its slightly outside my budget. The 46w on amazon is now down to around £1k so might go for this. These are the only sets I have personally seen so far.

I currently sit around 3m from my set so I think 40-46" would be around the right size. I have sky HD and the Panasonic DMP-BD30 blue ray player. I also have an xbox 360. This is all paired up with an Onkyo 605 and kef 2005.2 system. The set must be a full HD set 24fps.

Any help or input would greatly help!

thanks

Michael

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
The sony looks good on paper will need to pop in and have a look at it. Will there be a 46w4500 coming out? If so I presume this will force down the price of the current 46w4000 model? I am really torn by either a 40" or a 46" set. I litterally sit at a distance where I feel both would work and dont know whether to just go for the bigger set?

Michael

A

Anonymous

michael.seigal: I am really torn by either a 40" or a 46" set. I litterally sit at a distance where I feel both would work and dont know whether to just go for the bigger set?Compromise, what about a 42" then?. Say the Panny 42PZ85, around £850.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
michael.seigal:
The sony looks good on paper will need to pop in and have a look at it. Will there be a 46w4500 coming out? If so I presume this will force down the price of the current 46w4000 model? I am really torn by either a 40" or a 46" set. I litterally sit at a distance where I feel both would work and dont know whether to just go for the bigger set?

Michael

Yes, Michael, there is a Sony KDL-46W4500 - and you'll be able to read the review of that online very shortly, too (by the weekend, I reckon).

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the replies!

I will check out the 42PZ85 and see how it compares, have a month to do a bit of research and let the prices adjust pre xmas! Oh and of course read the arwards mag ;)

Michael

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
there is a Sony KDL-46W4500 - and you'll be able to read the review of that online very shortly, too (by the weekend, I reckon).

What happened to the 1000 pound budget then ?

zwanchef

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
A while ago i posted that i had a problem with my Toshiba 40xf355db,an engineer came out & ordered a new panel only for him to ring me 2 weeks later to tell me that at present this part was unavailable.Toshiba therefore gave me a return code.

I duly popped down to Currys & echanged it for a Panasonic 42pz85b and boy am i glad i did ! The picture is way above any LCD that i have seen ,even the highly rated sonys.

So go for it !

A

Anonymous

Ok, sorry to change the subject but i have a £900 budget. Will the WHT and others please tell me what tv to buy based on there own opinions. Used for blu ray and gaming. thank you.ÿ

A

Anonymous

sony kdl 40w4000 has plummeted in price and its an award winner at that!

A

Anonymous

Direct Electronics are selling SONY KDL40V4000 40 £641.00 Bargain :)

Also they have the new Sony SONY KDL40W4500 40 at £950

I might just have to go and buy the Sony KDL40v4000 for my Bedroom

A

Anonymous

ok it has come down to either a sony kdl 40w4000 (£790) or 40w4500 (£880), or a panasonic plasma (don't which one is better than the other)

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
This really depends on what you prefer after audtions. I bought a lcd tv without much research because i though that plasma was a thing of the past. Its a Samsung LE40F86 and its a good tv not as good as the new Sonys but works fine for bluray dvd and gaming although a little bright, my only problem is sd tv terrible most of the time freeview ok and should improve with switch over. So you choice may depend on inputs, if you want lcd and have sky hd fine if not i would go for the plasma also better for sport with less motion blur great for gaming, better sd tv and more natural picture imo also 2inches bigger. If lcd is your choice go for the newer model it has new features to benefit from.

michael.seigal

Sep 26, 2007
Visit site
andyb190:Clare Newsome:

there is a Sony KDL-46W4500 - and you'll be able to read the review of that online very shortly, too (by the weekend, I reckon).

What happened to the 1000 pound budget then ?

I do want to stick to the £1000 budget just looking around. I am thinking I might be able to pick up the 46w4000 for £1000 or near enough!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts