Best System for Classical Music

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
With around a £2K budget for a CD, amp and speakers setup is there a best system for listening to classical music? If I just go out and by a "5 star" product can I assume it will play classical music as well as rock music or do systems really vary depending on music genre?

A

Anonymous

Room size is 18' by 14'. Lounge with 3 piece suite curtains, carpet etc.

A

Anonymous

Musical Fidelity and Proac? Bit expensive isn't it? (I was thinking of around £2K for the lot not per component).

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
A Quad system will suit your taste perfectly imho and will last you for many a year. Great build quality and highly musical with astonishing levels of detail.

The quad 99-cdp matched with the 909 power amp with some quad 12L speakers. Perfect for your taste and very engaging.

Will cost you 1800 pounds approx maybe a little less if you shop around.

A

Anonymous

Also consider some of the entry lever Sonus fabers,they sound really nice with classical,nice midrange on them,they match well to copland kit,but may take you over budget so look at Primare instead.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Thaiman"]
Musical fidelity + Proac...........can't go wrong
[/quote]

Did I mention kW550 + D100? No!

They do some cheaper gears too mate, but the bigger Proac are more classical than rock though.

A

Anonymous

Ok, so some interesting kit here that I am not so familiar with. What about the more "mainstream" 5 star kit like Cyrus, Roksan, Naim etc? Are we saying that these are not optimum for this type of music and that other brands are better?

Also Andrew, you asked me about room size and I responded....................anything else to add here?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Sorry, far too many posts on here to keep track of!

I'd suggest in a room that size some smallish floorstanders would be the best bet. I'd suggest you try Musical Fidelity X-RAY V8 (£799) with the X-T100 amplifier (£900) and a pair of Monitor Audio Silver RS6 speakers (£600/pr) or - if the budget will stretch - PMC GB1 speakers at £1145 a pair.

Or you might consider Quad's 99CD-P CD player/preamp (about £950) with the 99 Power amp (about £550) with the same speakers.

If all that really is far too much, then I'd suggest the Creek EVO amp and CD player - about £500 each - with the same speakers, or Epos M15.2s (about £700/pr). The Creeks and Eposes (Epi?) come from the same company, so are a natural 'fit'.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]Musical Fidelity X-RAY V8 (£799) with the X-T100 amplifier (£900)[/quote] + [quote user="Andrew Everard"]PMC GB1 speakers at £1145 a pair[/quote]
Sound like a great all rounder! or ProAC tab 8 ref as they do disappear into background so convincingly, great for classical!.

A

Anonymous

Ok, thanks all. Sounds like some interesting ideas to follow up on.

Problem is I pick WHSV up and at a glance all I see week after week is Cyrus, Cyrus, Cyrus... etc. Clearly I need to look more deeply. Maybe some of this type of information needs to be conveyed in the magazine as a regular somehow? After all music is the objective here not just pretty boxes of electronics. Just a thought.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="wjdet"]After all music is the objective here not just pretty boxes of electronics. Just a thought.[/quote]
You think Cyrus is pretty!!!???? (smiley + wink Icons here)

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew and all of you,

I just joined and have a question. I have a big Sony receiver and jamo shelf speakers. When i listen to the radio through the receiver, the sound is ok if i turn the bass to the highest. But if i listen to music through my laptop (mp3) the sound lacks the bass very much! So i am relying on your advice what to do. Should i use ipod as music source? I would prefer remaining with my laptop its so convenient. The sound it provides is quite clear but i really lack the bass!! Should i buy a subwoofer? Would it solve my problem? I listened to some at music stores, and found that they add only a very little but that is very significant. I also found that below 100-150 Hz I do not really hear anything. So I think I would need one with middle low frequencies (?)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="wjdet"]

Ok, so some interesting kit here that I am not so familiar with. What about the more "mainstream" 5 star kit like Cyrus, Roksan, Naim etc?

[/quote]

Musical fidelity are known for there more laid back warmer sound which is ideal for classical. However with Naim the focus is toward timing and dynamics, which is particulary good at expressing a true emotive representation of classical, yet can sometimes be a little intrusive especially when listening to something like Bartoks piano concerto. If you were to take th naim route you would only be able to afford cd and amp. CD5i and Nait 5i respectively.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts