Best Speakers for Hegel H80

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I am upgrading my system, maybe to what some would consider an entry level audiophile level. I just purchased a Hegel H80 integrated amp. I have had my eyes on the Monitor Audio Silver 8s in the white lacquer finish, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I love the MAs and will likely go that direction, but figured I'd see what other recommendations are out there. I listen to a wide variety of music: rock, jazz, classical, electronic, world, acoustic, live, etc. and almost exclusively lossless digital file (although I may get a turntable sometime down the road) My budget is around $2k. I will also say aesthetics are important as these are for the living room. I particularly like the clean look of the white lacquer. Thanks in advance.

Nosara said:
I am upgrading my system, maybe to what some would consider an entry level audiophile level. I just purchased a Hegel H80 integrated amp. I have had my eyes on the Monitor Audio Silver 8s in the white lacquer finish, but have not pulled the trigger yet. I love the MAs and will likely go that direction, but figured I'd see what other recommendations are out there. I listen to a wide variety of music: rock, jazz, classical, electronic, world, acoustic, live, etc. and almost exclusively lossless digital file (although I may get a turntable sometime down the road) My budget is around $2k. I will also say aesthetics are important as these are for the living room. I particularly like the clean look of the white lacquer. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to the forum.

Although the Hegel will happily drive most speakers it is important to actually audition them to see if they will work in your listening room.

Perhaps some idea of room dimensions and layout and also what you could actually audition wherever you live.

It's much more important to get speakers that work well in your room rather than concentrating solely on which amp they pair well with.

Are you living in the States?

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. It is an open living room / dining room / kitchen, about 800 SF total. In the living room area, the speakers are set horizontally, about 2 feet from the wall, facing the width of the room (seating is about 15 feet from the speakers). So there is a wall on the right sie of the listening area, but open space on the left.

I auditioned the speakers in the store a couple times, and really enjoyed the sound. So I'm pretty convinced those are the ones I want. They are also known to pair well with the Hegel. The Hegel is very well regarded, and I had an opporttunity to pick one up at a bargain price. So before I committed to the MAs, I just wanted to see if there was any suggestions I should consider. For instance, many recomend the Kef R500, but I was not in love with the sound. I did like the Dynaudio X32 (local seller was offering them at a huge discount, making way for the new model), but again, I preferred the MAs.

I'm in Chicago

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Hegel and monitor audio rx8
It sounded good but for me i much preferred the kef sound so its down to personal taste.

I do know however that many people in uk happy with monitor audio rx8 and hegel h80 combo so i would not worry.

I would also suggest MA Silver 6. I have dem'd the older RS6 (and owned), 8 and RX models and the 6 tend to be better balanced. The 8s IMHO is a little too bass heavy.

If you can find a dealer, look at demoing Totem Arros - absolutely love these speakers. Others worthy of a dem is PMC Twenty 23 and Dynaudio Excite range.

rainsoothe

Also give ATC a go - SCM 19 or SCM11, some have had great results with Hegel + ATC. But you auditioned a bit and like it. If you can, get a demo in your home, your living space makes a whole lot of difference. If you still like the MAs there, then go for them :)

Oh, Harbeth might also be a great partnering. Golden Ear as well.

rainsoothe said:
Also give ATC a go - SCM 19 or SCM11, some have had great results with Hegel + ATC. But you auditioned a bit and like it. If you can, get a demo in your home, your living space makes a whole lot of difference. If you still like the MAs there, then go for them :)

Oh, Harbeth might also be a great partnering. Golden Ear as well.

Take a look at that room size again.

rainsoothe

I don't do sq f, but the listening position is 5m away, and the listening area is not the entire room. In any case, I was just suggesting stuff to audition.

OP, if you want to fill the room and play loud, then indeed you need sensitive speakers, which, if I remember correctly, the MA are, as are Focal Aria 926.

rainsoothe said:
I don't do sq f, but the listening position is 5m away, and the listening area is not the entire room. In any case, I was just suggesting stuff to audition.

OP, if you want to fill the room and play loud, then indeed you need sensitive speakers, which, if I remember correctly, the MA are, as are Focal Aria 926.

Wasn't having a go really. It's the overall size that matters in an open plan house not just area you happen to sit in.

It would require reasonably big floorstanders I feel.

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes, definitely a matter of taste. And I feel strongly that there is nor right or wrong there. It's what you prefer. Definitely your ears get "trained" to notice detail, the same as one's palate for fine wine matures with experience. I'm a relative newbie, so I'm sure my ears needsome training, ha. I just felt that the soundstage and balance of the MAs was better. I did not demo the side-by-side, and they were powered by different amps. So 2 possible factors.

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the comment Al ears. These look pretty amazing. Every review I've read is exceptional. Definitely not opposed to used, in fact I prefer to stretch my budget by doing so (my Hegel was "used" but under 100 hours of use, and still with a 2 year warranty). There is a pair on Audiogon. About $1k beyond my range, but I'll see if I can find a place to demo. Definitely worth a listen (and possibly the extra cash) to step it up another level. Thanks!

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
philpot1001: Thanks, had not heard of these ones before. Aside from the ho-hum appearance, these also look REALLY nice. There is a pair on Audiogon for $2100, so within my pricerange. I'll see if I can find a place to demo these too. They do require a lot to drive them, or so I've read. The Hegel is 75 watts int 8 ohms. I don't play my music especially loud so it might not be an issue, but I do want to be sure I'm getting the full potential from the speakers. Another great suggestion. Thanks

Nosara said:
Thanks for the comment Al ears. These look pretty amazing. Every review I've read is exceptional. Definitely not opposed to used, in fact I prefer to stretch my budget by doing so (my Hegel was "used" but under 100 hours of use, and still with a 2 year warranty). There is a pair on Audiogon. About $1k beyond my range, but I'll see if I can find a place to demo. Definitely worth a listen (and possibly the extra cash) to step it up another level. Thanks!

Pleased to be of service. Can I ask what price they are asking?

I got mine after a very long hunt here in the UK. If you are brave and feel those reviews are done by competent assessors I would suggest you contact vendor and see if you can haggle the price down. They are worth every penny in my opinion and just wish there were a few more on the market as their variety keeps prices high.

I have the burr maple finish, I know you mentioned white, but feel either finish tend to suit modern living rooms and, believe me, it is a class finish.

P.S.. Thought you said budget $2000. Are they the more recent black pearl finish ones listed at $1495? If so that's a bargain (originally 4500 I believe)...... go get them. Or perhaps you were looking at the mint pair for 2775 (Still cheap).

Wish I could have got mine for that price. :-(

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Yes, a matter of taste as has been mentioned.

However, Schmegels have high damping which can result in 'dry' bass with some speakers. The 80 perhaps less so than models further up the range.

I don't know where the MA's fit in regarding this but some Spendors have low inherent damping so work better with an amplifier such as yours. Perhaps worth trying.

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Hi Rainsoothe,

Thanks for the suggestions. Although the reviews for the ATC are very very good, I should have mentioned that I am pretty set on floorstanding speakers. I absolutely LOVE the Golden Ear Triton 1s. They are unfortunately out of my ($2,000 or so) price range. I appreciate the suggestion though.

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I agree that the room size requires floorstanders. I have been happy with my monitors, but the sweetspot is just too small. And anything outside of the siting are just gets lost. I do believe the Golden Ear Triton 1s would be superb in the room, but they are just too pricey for me *sad*

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Yes, I was referring to the "mint" ones at $2775 (plus $300 for shipping. $3,075 total). The cheaper pair are pretty banged up, and I'm not loving the black finish. I agree the other 2 finishes look nice. Will definitely look around for a dealer to audition them. Thanks

Nosara said:
Yes, I was referring to the "mint" ones at $2775 (plus $300 for shipping. $3,075 total). The cheaper pair are pretty banged up, and I'm not loving the black finish. I agree the other 2 finishes look nice. Will definitely look around for a dealer to audition them. Thanks

Right ho. I am not even sure if they are made anymore. Will have to check.

It appears they do. Just love those Cresendos but a bit out of my price range unfortunately. :)

pyrrhon

May 9, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
However, Schmegels have high damping which can result in 'dry' bass with some speakers. The 80 perhaps less so than models further up the range.

The h80 didn't fit my proac 148 at all. I remember a rumble in the low bass. Sounded defect.

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
I'll be honest, I only vaguely understand what "damping" is. The amp "dampens" the signal coming back from the speaker, to reduce the interference?

Hi Nosara

Picked up the following from Hegel (Higher Damping Factor) -

Damping factor is a measurement that describes the amplifiers output stage's ability to stop the 'return kick' from the speakers (bass drivers) from reaching the amp. If let into the amp, it will throw the amp 'out of balance' and you loose bass control. So in effect damping factor is used to describe the amplifiers ability to start and stop bass drivers - or bass control if you like.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Nosara

Jan 19, 2016
Visit site
Just wanted to follow up on the original post. I did audition a few other speakers a (a couple of the suggestions here, in retailers, not at home) and finally settled on the MA Silver 8s. Very happy with the performance. They can definitely fill the room. Very detailed and accurate. No brighness at all. They are nice at low levels, but when given a little juice they really sing. Punchy bass, great mids, deep soundstage.

I will say, I also enjoyed the Sonus Faber Venere 3s. I think ey sounded amazing too. They were powered by a Mac MA5200 which might have helped. Did not love the look, however the look of the signature series (Venere S) is amazing. At more than double the price of the MAs, I could not make it. Some day. I feel I've got the bug. A slippery slope this is likely to be :)

Thanks everyone for all the input. Cheers

TRENDING THREADS