Best speaker youve listened to over the past year?...

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Sonic Dreamer

Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
ART Deco 8 Signatures, the only thing that detracted was they were a bit light on the bass for my taste, but otherwise exemplary.

However the B/W Nautilus on demo at Grahams Hi-Fi were in a whole echelon of their own, it was like sitting in the middle of the orchestra, but then at £45k more than the Deco 8 Sigs one would kinda expect that!!!!.

Other impressive speakers I heard were Spendor Statements (STs), but they could not touch the Deco 8s.
Linn Akurate 242s had a rich warmth, which had great appeal too.

Sonic D

A

Anonymous

100_0940.jpg

Sonus Faber Amati Palladio .........

I liked them SOOOO much, I bought a pair !

A

Anonymous

Anthony Gallo STRADA

Was so Impressed by these speakers... I ended up buying them 3 Weeks ago, knowing that I have auditioned Spendor A5-A6; ProAC 140 MKII among others (10 in total)

JamesOK

May 24, 2008
Visit site
Diamond Joe:
I heard the PMC Fact 8s at the Bristol show, really impressed with them, totally my cup of tea. It's just a shame that I have neither the cash or the space to get a pair.

PMC-Fact8.jpg

I've just been to the "highs and lows" thread in the Bristol Show bit of the forum to dind out the names of these. I didnt need to bother!

+1 for the PMC Fact 8.

A

Anonymous

I try not to listen to speakers that cost more than the speakers i have but I was at my local hifi pusher the day the first pair of CM9's came to Norway. They asked me if i wanted to stay when they unpacked and tried them before they sent them off to a show and i could not resist :D Thankfully i didnt get to hear them properly set up with a good amp etc so i can say that my Cm7s are the best speakers ive heard.

I must just resist hearing even better speakers until im ready to upgrade =)

michael hoy

Le Robert:

Anthony Gallo STRADA

Was so Impressed by these speakers... I ended up buying them 3 Weeks ago, knowing that I have auditioned Spendor A5-A6; ProAC 140 MKII among others (10 in total)

Sorry to jump in on this, can you tell me more about the Strada, I was thinking of getting some for a 5.1 system.

A

Anonymous

"Sorry to jump in on this, can you tell me more about the Strada, I was thinking of getting some for a 5.1 system."

I don't know about 5.1 system, but based on some reviews you have to avoid the Anthony Gallo TR3 subwoofer, (i don't know about the rest) apparently it was designed to play music more than to reproduce THX effects.

as for the Speakers : I wouldn't be exaggerating if I say they are amazing,

Pros:

-Amazing treble and midrange, a lot of experts are comparing them to Electrostatic drivers, they are so Open and accurate, I did not hear such performance coming from any of the 10 speakers(priced between 1K and 2500K) I extensively auditioned, a couple of them had Ribbon tweeter and cost 2500K.

Sound stage is wonderful , and they are not fussy about positioning, if you close your eyes you can forget about the speakers and literally get the feeling of having the artist in the room, such feeling is really felt when playing vocals (i.e. Rebecca Pidgeon: Spanish Harlem) Acoustic Guitars (Friday Night in San Fran) and Fusion (Anouar Brahim: Outstanding eyes of Rita)

among the things I really appreciate is the absence of unwanted sounds generated by the traditional wooden boxes.

I doubt any speaker below 10K will reproduce human voice , saxophone, trumpet, guitars in such fidelity, You can read reviews about them but personally I got the feedback from my Audiophile friends, one of them has Avantgarde Acoustics spearkers, and the other one has top of the range Silverline speakers (we're talking here about speakers costing more than 15K ) not to mention that both of them play music instruments, so i believe they know what they are talking about and both of them were amazed, and spent hours at my place listening to their reference CDs and one of them felt that the Strada produced better high frequencies than his own set .

CONS:

- Not the final word in bass, that doens't mean they don't produce low frequencies at all, it means that for some type of music the bass produced is not enough, they do a great Job with Jazz, soul, Blues, R&B but for classical and Rock you need to add a subwoofer.

- Even if they are classified as sensitive speakers (around 89dB if I am not mistaken) they are a bit power hungry, they need 100W and more to shine.

Miscellaneous: Built quality is very good, a pair of these speakers can easily fill a 5x5 room with the help of a sub-woofer.

as you might know purist hates 2.1 systems because of the science behind acoustics, however it seems that a small number of sub-woofers were designed to be part of a Hi-fi system more than a LFE element in a 5.1 setup. such sub-woofers are equiped with sensitive crossovers, they are fast and accurate enough to go along with a pair of speakers, on the otherhand the drawback is that they don't produce the Big Boom generated by Action Movies. The 2 Musical subs I am currently considering are :

1: Anthony Gallo TR3 and,

2: Amphion Impact 400

Hope that was helpful

A

Anonymous

I've heard really lots of great speakers this year- Audio Show in Norway:) But with reasonable price for me this year winner is Audio Physic Tempo 25. It's outstanding performence to the price!

ANWKLO

May 12, 2010
Visit site
d_a_n1979:I know not amazing but the Monitor Audio RS6 has to be one of the best I've listened to in a long while.

The Rega RS5 also impressed as did my Uncles B&W CM9's.

I think for 'way outta my budget' speakers; The B&W 800 speakers or 'washing machines' as my other half calls them were outstanding!

Picture082.jpg

Forgot to add; the M/A RX2's I listened to recently, IMO, we're superb!

May I know the name and model of the Maple speaker please?

T

the record spot

Heard Genelec's 8030A active speaker on a couple of occasions this year and been seriously impressed by how good it is. Barely a foot high, the sound and depth it produces is way over and above what you'd think it capable of. One of the most musical bits of kit I've heard full stop.

8030A-large.jpg

A

Anonymous

they look like the onix reference 2 floorstanding speakers to me in birds eye maple, i could be wrong but heres some specs

Reference 2
  • System: 2-way Rear-Vented Floor-standing
    Drivers: One Concentric Ring Radiator Tweeter, Two 5.25" mid-bass woofers
    Crossover: 4th Order
    MFR: 38 Hz - 35 kHz ñ 3dB
    Impedance: 4 Ohms
    Efficiency: 90 dB (@ 1 Watt / 1 Meter)
    Bi-Wire: Yes
    Dimensions: (WxDxH) 40.25" H x 8" W x 10" D
    Weight: 80 Pounds Each
    Finish: Birds Eye Maple or Piano Black Lacquer
    MSRP: $2500/Pair

T

the record spot

And just to the left, we see Electrocompaniet's new battery pack for their building sized amplifier, housed off-picture in the block next door...
emotion-5.gif

what are they Nick? You'll need to break out the shades when the sun shines!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:And just to the left, we see Electrocompaniet's new battery pack for their building sized amplifier, housed off-picture in the block next door...
emotion-5.gif

KEF Muons

£140,000 per pair.

Only 100 pairs made.

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Also currently demo'ing.

Amphion Argon 3L is very, very impressive, but IME only when hooked up to a TT or a tuner. Tuner and Argon 3L delivers Radio 3 FM beautifully - best I've heard. Highlights are separation, detail, stunningly clear and life-like vocals, with an ablility to effortlessly plunge to subwoofer-esque depths when appropriate.

Amphion+Argon+3L+review.jpg

However, when playing CDs and SA-CDs or streaming hi-res DLs, the Argon 3L presents a very cold 'wall of sound' - loses much of its musicality and separation - and generally sounds, er, digital. A speaker that's best suited to analogue sources and valve-type CDPs, perhaps??

Best all-rounders, thus far: Spendor A5 and A6. A6 awesome with classical, jazz and all other acoustic material - grand pianos sound extraordinary, very realistic and 'in the room'. But IMHO the A6 has a wee bit less subtlety than the A5 when playing rock, soul, reggae and electronica. However, do wish the A5 and A6 could be bi-amp'ed...
emotion-6.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Interesting, all these exotic names. In my case, I actually had the most enjoyable experience with my own speakers and some Naim products at my dealers. Sadly, those most enjoyable 2 hours didn't replicate in my own living room.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
hol£i£day n.
1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on
which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity
to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
2. A religious feast day; a holy day.
3. Chiefly British A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
the record spot:And just to the left, we see Electrocompaniet's new battery pack for their building sized amplifier, housed off-picture in the block next door...
emotion-5.gif

Chebby is correct they are the Muons and well spotted on the EC amplifier. That is one of the Nemo's running the set up. It is completely dwarfed by the speakers! We could probably do with 2 or even three for each side but it would start to look a bit full on in the showroom.

As for the sun it hasn't made much of an appearance but when it does the speakers cast a great light accross the shop and the street.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:hol£i£day n.
1. A day free from work that one may spend at leisure, especially a day on which custom or the law dictates a halting of general business activity to commemorate or celebrate a particular event.
2. A religious feast day; a holy day.
3. Chiefly British A vacation. Often used in the phrase on holiday.

People like myself and John must be 'dedicated to the cause'
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts