Best ripping software

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am currently testing EAC and Ripstation Micro, with a view to transferring my large CD collection onto my computer.  The only downside of EAC is speed and lack of Art tagging. I am after suggestions on any other rippers that compare.

Craig

A

Anonymous

Stick with EAC, and use either Album Art Aggregator or MP3Tag. Do not be put off by the latter's name, it supports all sorts of file types including FLAC.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
I have been using my CD recorder to make CD's - it's a Pioneer PDR-609

I did a test with the computer I used Nero to make a copy of a CD

Then I made a copy using my Hi-Fi kit - I took the signal from my Nad CD Player (C541i) using an Ixos digital coax cable - into the Pioneer

The difference was remarkable - my kit won hands down over the computer and Nero.

Is it possible for me to get the same quality from my laptop - if so what software would you use? And would it make a difference if I could slow down the speed that the CD is ripped?

Thanks folks

A

Anonymous

Greenwich_Man:I have been using my CD recorder to make CD's - it's a Pioneer PDR-609

Then I made a copy using my Hi-Fi kit - I took the signal from my Nad CD Player (C541i) using an Ixos digital coax cable - into the Pioneer

The difference was remarkable - my kit won hands down over the computer and Nero.

Is it possible for me to get the same quality from my laptop - if so what software would you use? And would it make a difference if I could slow down the speed that the CD is ripped?

Thanks folks

ÿ

Slightly off-topic.

The most basic PC CD-ROM is capable of making a perfect copy of a CD, in digital form, on the hard drive, which is subsequently a better transport. A CD recorder is a fairly quant old fashioned thing that will only copy a CD to another. If thats all you want then great... ÿ

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
pudley:
Greenwich_Man:I have been using my CD recorder to make CD's - it's a Pioneer PDR-609

Thanks folks

Slightly off-topic.

The most basic PC CD-ROM is capable of making a perfect copy of a CD, in digital form, on the hard drive, which is subsequently a better transport. A CD recorder is a fairly quant old fashioned thing that will only copy a CD to another. If thats all you want then great...

Sorry I was slightly off topic - I did wonder afterwards if I should have started another thread.

But
I don't just use the CD recorder to copy CD's - I use it to make CD's
from my vinyl, and from radio concerts I have recorded on my PVR.

What I wanted to know was is there better software that can give me the same quality - clearly the laptop at the moment is not making CD's to the same quality

I like to make CD's because I want to listen through my hifi

A

Anonymous

You should be able to get exactly the same quality ripping a CD via you PC

If you are ripping check you have the ripping software set to make a "lossless" copy The file size will be somewhere between 500Mb and 650Mb normally. The default rip setting is usually to make a compressed MP3 file on most ripping software.

You need to check the same thing when burning the copy.

For transfer of vinyl to CD I use a bit of free software called Acoustica. It's not the mose feature packed but it is free and it's fairly easy to use. It lets you clean up the worst of the clicks and scratches. Make a big .wav file but also lets you split this back into tracks and burn the CD all in a lossless format.

A

Anonymous

Greenwich_Man:pudley:

Thanks folks

Slightly off-topic.

The most basic PC CD-ROM is capable of making a perfect copy of a CD, in digital form, on the hard drive, which is subsequently a better transport. A CD recorder is a fairly quant old fashioned thing that will only copy a CD to another. If thats all you want then great...

Sorry I was slightly off topic - I did wonder afterwards if I should have started another thread.

But I don't just use the CD recorder to copy CD's - I use it to make CD's from my vinyl, and from radio concerts I have recorded on my PVR.

What I wanted to know was is there better software that can give me the same quality - clearly the laptop at the moment is not making CD's to the same quality

I like to make CD's because I want to listen through my hifi

Is there a reason you can't simply use the computer attached to the amplifier?

As well as a squeezebox, I also have a 15m optical cable from the SPDIF out on one of my PCs to the input of my external DAC and so on. The sound quality is fabulous.

But as for burning CDs, then I haven#t encountered problems with quality. I use burrrn.

Greenwich_Man

Sep 6, 2008
Visit site
Thanks folks - you've given me things to work on...

Acoustica.com seems to sell various products - did you meen "Spin it Again" costing $35?; and how do you get the signal from the amp into the computer?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
al7478:Gerrardasnails:VoodooDoctor:I can vouch for dBPoweramp being excellent.

I've just switched from EAC to dBPoweramp - much better imo.

And why's that...? ;)

Wasnt being funny, it was a sincere question.

A

Anonymous

I have started using DB Poweramp, trial version for 21 days, both Accurate rip versions are not free. The burst mode on DB is far better, as it still does the Accurate comparison. Ripstation micro however found some art work that eluded DB. DB is easier to set up than EAC, however Ripstation micro is the easiest. The downside of Rip station is the lack of reports after a rip, however according to the Rip Factory website it does have secure features. The trial continues!

A

Anonymous

Greenwich_Man:

Thanks folks - you've given me things to work on...

Acoustica.com seems to sell various products - did you meen "Spin it Again" costing $35?; and how do you get the signal from the amp into the computer?

There are 2 companies that use the Acoustica name. - You need the other one. Honest I'm not Joking. The company you need is called Acon Media www.acondigital.com

You need a line level output from a pre-amp to connect to your PC. If the preamp as a "tape out" this will usually do the trick. If not you need a phono pre-amp. In either case the connection is the same. deck to amp (or phono pre-amp) then amp (or pre-amp) to PC.

The deck will probably have twin RCA (phono) leads that connect it to the amp. To connect the amp to the PC you need a twin Phono to 3.5mm mini jack lead normally. Connect this to the mic socket on your sound card. Most PC's will detect the connection and ask you to define it. Define it as "line in"

After that it's just a case of playimg each album through while recording it. Then de-click or not as required. Set track markers and burn to CD. It is worth taking time to get the recording levels right to avoid too much clipping etc. Just like doing tape in the old days.

If you are so inclined there are several sites that let you download pictures of the relevant Cd cover and even the Cd artwork to customise you effort even further.

I back all my "ripped vinyl" up to a Hdd as well.

madeinstein

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
I'm also not a fan of EAC.. too many options.. and how should I know what's best.. so many guides on the web.. and no tagging? that just sucks!

Downloading dbpoweramp .....

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Once the options have been set, there is nothing else to do except rip the tracks. I haven't found any issues myself....what tagging do you require that you're not getting?

If I want to play about with the tags (which I don't very often) I tend to use the functionality provided by Foobar200.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts