Best way to boost phone/PC Bluetooth output?

snappingturo

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Hi, I'm brand new to the world of hi-fi but after reading many reviews, decided to get a Denon DM41-DAB. It just arrived today and overall, really happy with the purchase and overall boost in sound quality from the soundcore flare mini 2s I had for my home office.

I am new to hi-fi so this may be an obvious question for some, but while I'm rebuilding my CD library I will primarily be streaming via Amazon Music. I currently am listening on my iPhone 14 and the thing about Amazon Music is that it tells you your output quality (phone), output quality (speaker), and track quality. And if these numbers are believable, I am seeing the limiting factor is either my iPhone or computer, which top out at 44.1 kHz.

So my question is if there is a device which can 'boost' my Bluetooth source to get closer to 96 kHz? Could I tack on a WiiM mini to the Denon with an optical cable? I know a wired connection will surpass a wireless connection, so if there are any suggestions that can append to my computer I'm all ears.

WayneKerr

Hi, I'm brand new to the world of hi-fi but after reading many reviews, decided to get a Denon DM41-DAB. It just arrived today and overall, really happy with the purchase and overall boost in sound quality from the soundcore flare mini 2s I had for my home office.

I am new to hi-fi so this may be an obvious question for some, but while I'm rebuilding my CD library I will primarily be streaming via Amazon Music. I currently am listening on my iPhone 14 and the thing about Amazon Music is that it tells you your output quality (phone), output quality (speaker), and track quality. And if these numbers are believable, I am seeing the limiting factor is either my iPhone or computer, which top out at 44.1 kHz.

So my question is if there is a device which can 'boost' my Bluetooth source to get closer to 96 kHz? Could I tack on a WiiM mini to the Denon with an optical cable? I know a wired connection will surpass a wireless connection, so if there are any suggestions that can append to my computer I'm all ears.
Welcome. CD quality is all you'll ever need so don't fret too much about hi-res.

Reactions: Gray and nopiano
Welcome to the forum!

I may be wrong but I believe Amazon Music maxes out at 44.1, just like your CD collection.

It isn’t ‘wireless’ that’s the limiting factor, but Bluetooth, though there are so many new codecs I can’t keep up. BT can sound very good with the right kit.

Streaming devices designed for Hifi can exceed 44.1 but of course your source/provider needs to offer it. I use Qobuz who offer up to 192/24 but I struggle to tell the difference above 44.1/16.

snappingturo

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Welcome. CD quality is all you'll ever need so don't fret too much about hi-res.
Thanks! I have basically made that assumption (and knowing the quest for ‘perfect sound’ will drive you mad) so will probably just add a cheap 8” sub and call it good enough for spending less than $700 :)

snappingturo

Mar 10, 2023
Visit site
Begging Amazon’s pardon I see they do claim to offer Ultra HD. Not sure how you get to play it on a Hifi system though!

Ha, thanks. I am sure I probably couldn’t even notice the difference but I was curious to hear it if possible. I’m more likely just going to reacquire a 3.5mm to 3.5mm to connect my laptop right to the Denon and/or get more CDs!

WayneKerr

Ha, thanks. I am sure I probably couldn’t even notice the difference but I was curious to hear it if possible. I’m more likely just going to reacquire a 3.5mm to 3.5mm to connect my laptop right to the Denon and/or get more CDs!
I think I speak for many on here that it's the recording quality rather than the resolution that gives a better sound - can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Agree with Gray's comments above. However, I note that you have an iPhone, is your laptop Apple too? I only ask as the DACs in Apple products get good reports. What output connections do you have on the phone and laptop? If 3.5mm headphone out then you would need a 3.5mm to 2xRCA connector to plug into the back of the Denon. If digital (optical) output on both then you could use an an optical cable into the Denon and use the Denon DAC - it might be better, or worse, than the Apple one.

DCarmi

I use a DM41-DAB in my bedroom/office. I play CDs and stream to a Chromecast audio. Personally I would not bother messing around with external DACs or wires from computers. I'd just get a Wiim mini (on offer at Amazon today) and collect the CDs of music you like.

There again, I already have a large-ish collection of CDs and would not be keen to find they can be bettered. For me streaming is for convenience and discovery. I like the "ownership" of physical media, though the Missus might have other thoughts on the matter.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts