Best Receiver For Mainly Music & Then Movies - Your Opinions

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi everyone, just wanted to ask forum members as to which receivers are best for both music and home cinema. The receiver will be used for 80% music and 20% movies. I have read that certain brands are better with music than movies and vice versa. I don't mind compromising on the movies aspect, so long as the reciever sounds superb in 2 Channel Stereo Mode. I really want to try and avoid having to buy a reciever and a seperate stereo amplifier.

daveh75

Given your preference towards music, have you considered just sticking with a stereo amp?

What sort of budget do you have? Otherwise forumites will get carried away with spending your money for you
emotion-4.gif

scene

Personally, I'd either have two set ups, one for Stereo - with a good stereo amp - and another for AV, with a 5.1 amp and a separate set of surround sound speakers - maybe a sub + small surrounds, so that your listening room doesn't end up looking like the demo room at your local Hi Fi shop...

Or, have a 5.1 amp with pre-outs for the front pair and hook these up to a stereo amp with HT-bypass / processor mode and use this to run the front pair. Multi-channel inputs go into the 5.1 AMP, two-channel ones into the stereo amp. This gives you the best of both worlds.

If you really want a one amp solution, I'd recommend an Arcam AVR500 or AVr600 (but I might be the teensiest bit biassed on that front)...

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, thanks for your replies so far. Much appreciated. If I was to go for just a stereo set up, I would be looking to spend approx 2k.

With a receiver that sounds "Good" with both music and movies, I'm prepared to spend upto 3k including speakers.

I know the Arcam AVR600 is the ideal solution, but it is way out of my budget and then speakers on top......... I'll wait until my lottery win for that lol !

Hope this helps :)

Tonestar1

Arcam, Arcam or Arcam. I may seem slightly biased from my sig but I did do a lot of listening before purchasing my kit. If you are happy with using analogue outs from a Blu ray player to the amp then you could also look 2nd hand which would bring the cost down.

scene

Tonestar1:Arcam, Arcam or Arcam. I may seem slightly biased from my sig but I did do a lot of listening before purchasing my kit. If you are happy with using analogue outs from a Blu ray player to the amp then you could also look 2nd hand which would bring the cost down.
Don't worry, I'm with you on this one!
(And from my sig I'm even more biased
emotion-2.gif
)

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
If you have a bit of space you could consider the Harman Kardon HK990 with an AVR360. This will give you an AV amp that feeds a high quality 2ch amp. THe 990 has a full bypass function and will sit seemlessly in your system. The only downside is you will have two large boxes to find a home for.

Failing that the upcoming RXV3067 from Yamaha will give you great 2ch performance if you match it with the correct speakers.

scene

Tonestar1:
In fact look at this thread.

http://community.whathifi.com/forums/t/419819.aspx

The offer still looks to be valid.

http://www.soundgallery.co.uk/offers.html

Tonestar1 - I've just looked at that offer, and I'm seriously tempted to ebay my kit and upgrade! That is one good looking offer, for some serious kit...

Tonestar1

Yeah it does seem like a great deal. I've never heard the Muso's though. Doesn't seem to be many places that stock Arcam speakers. Suppose if you didn't like them or were happy with your own speakers you could get a fair whack for them on ebay, especially unopened.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi, the Yamaha RXV3067 looks interesting. I've never had the chance to demo Yamaha Equipment and definitely will have to do so at some point before I part with my cash.

I'm quite a newbie when it comes to HiFi/Home Cinema.

I've had the chance to demo some High End Onkyo & Pioneer Receivers with music, but I wasn't quite happy with the sound quality. Both receivers were hooked upto the B & W 683's in Pure Direct/Stereo Mode.

Generally, what are Yamaha receivers like with Music please ? Would a Denon/Marantz receiver for approx 1k - 1.5k be good enough for most people ?

Cheers !

Tonestar1

I liked the yamaha sound. Was a couple of years ago though so I've no idea if they still sound similar. As for Onkyo and Pioneer I wasn't convinced with their stereo sound either. Found the Onkyo in particular to be pretty harsh.

sound10

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Another contender could be the upcoming Marantz SR7005. From what i've read on the web so far, Marantz receivers seem to have very good musical abilities. Would be interesting to hear from any Marantz owners out there as to what they think. I wonder how this receiver would compare to the Marantz PM7004, PM8004, or the Pearl Lite's which could all be contenders if I just go for a stereo set up.

I did previously have the Marantz PM6003/CD6003 with B & W 685's and was very happy with the sound, however I sold all of it to build my ultimate hifi system (and if possible) AV system !

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Yamaha models of the last few years have had stereo performance as a strong point and they are very musical along with accurate.

The SR7005 looks to be a stong contender, the Marantz focus has always been on 2ch performance and last years SR6004 did a great job at the price point. We don't have any of this years Marantz line up in store yet so I can't comment. It will be good to compare it with the RXV3067 , it certainly looks the part!

A

Anonymous

if realy 80% music - then I'd personally go "old school" and go for an old high end processor + power amp

Arcam AV9 (2nd hand) + 5 channel power amp would be superb and you'd manage it under 1600

AV9 will still sound superb for movies as well :)

I had an Arcam AVR350 - which for music was a good step above my current high end Pioneer AX10Ai and was far better than the current gen Yamaha and Pioneer (3800 and LX71) AV amps I had.

AV9 is meant to be a good step up in SQ over the 350 :)

AV9 is also reported to have a very transparent analogue pre-amp - so if you wanted to buy a decent CD player in the future or even with the 400 remaining budget ( :) ! ) - then it would be perfect for the job,

Just my 2ps worth

pwiles1968

Mar 22, 2009
Visit site
I run a Marantz AV Amp heavily biased to 2CH Stereo, it is a SR6003 and I Bi Amplify with 2 Marantz MA6100 Mono Blocks (No longer Available) my front Speakers are B&W 805's and I am biased but it does sound stunning for 2ch music.

You could look at the SR7005 I have been assured that the 2 channel performance was a priority I believe Ken Ishiwata has had a hand in that side of things, there are also some 2ch AV power amplifiers due out which in combination with the 6005/7005 would give even more grunt, if it were me right now with a 2k budget I might consider a Ki Pearl Lite for stereo duties with a mid end Marantz AV amp to drive centre and surround speakers feeding the front pair to the Pearl in Power Amp Direct Mode, but it is 2 separate boxes.

TRENDING THREADS