Best position for Rear speakers??

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, I have KEF iQ8ds rear speakers as part of a complete KEF 5.1 set up (inc. iQ7 front L+R, iQ2c C) I have had so much conflicting advice regarding the best positioning of the rears can anyone shed some light. My room is 6m x 5m and at the moment the dipoles are on the rear wall at ear height (when sitting). I am unable to put them on the side walls due to windows so my question really is how high should the speakers be mounted and how far from the listening position (centre of the room) and the side walls should they be?

Any suggestions?? Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

ive found, on many occasions, that mounting the speakers just above the listening position and not too far behind the listening position, slightly toed in.

A

Anonymous

They need to be slightly higher, probably a bout 12 inches, to throw sound over the back of the seat. the added hight adds a bit to the distance timimg wise.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for quick response,

Is the positioning you recommend still the case if they are a dipole speaker?

Thanks

A

Anonymous

O sorry, just dont do the toe in. point them forward, as straight as you can get them. on stands, a good distance apart.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Dipoles are essentially designed for use on the side walls, with their centre line at or about your listening position, allowing them to spread sound forwards and backwards along the side wall to create the enveloping effect. Ideally they should be at or a little above ear height.

But given the limitations you have, RJL's advice is pretty solid.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew,

I was afraid you was going to say that.....

I was advised by my local dealer to go for dipoles instead of iQ3's despite the fact that due to the room layout it is impossible for me to mount them on side walls.

Is there a compromise to had with mounting them on the rear walls or am i visiting ebay shortly after logging off from here?

A

Anonymous

could you not mount them on stands backed up against the walls?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I have to say I think you were given duff advice, as the design of the iQ8ds is specifically all about side wall mounting, and they're likely to give a very diffuse, but also rather confused, surround effect if used on the rear wall, given the way the drivers fire.

To be frank, I think you would have been better off with the 1Q3s, or even wall-mounted iQ1s, at opposite ends of the rear walls, firing in towards the listening position.

Do the windows go right into the corners of the room? And on both sides? If not, is there any chance of corner-mounting the iQ8ds speakers, so that they fire along the side and rear walls at the same time?

If you can and you want, bung me a couple of digital pics of the room and the relationship between windows, side and rear walls at the website contact address, and i'll try to work something out for you.

A

Anonymous

That is an option i suppose, otherwise i'll be telling the wife we're moving!
Why do builders not consider the "vitals" when building houses? does anyone posses a lounge that is actually suited to 5.1 or even less likely 7.1?

I wouldn't mind but for all the money and effort i seem to put into Home cinema, with 2 children under 4 I am resigned to a life of thomas the tank engine and cbeebies. does anyone feel my pain??!!!???

A

Anonymous

Thanks Andrew, just seen your post after my rant. I will send some pics thank you,

Thanks again, Leigh

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts