Best Option?

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
My current hifi equipment is listed below - as and when funds become available I hope to build a home cinema system with my hifi as a starting point. Initially my TV would be upgraded to something like the Sony KDL 46W4000 to get the best from the PS3 and Sky HD. Surround sound would obviously complete the set up but I'm not sure the best way to go about it.
I plan to keep the AVI Duos and AVI electronics for listening to music and buy an AV amp (latest Denon or Onkyo around £400) and see my options as :-

1) Use Duos as fronts, add AVI Neutrons as rears, a suitable centre speaker (AVI don’t make one as far as I know) and a sub – BK Monolith
2) Buy dedicated surround speaker package eg KEF 3005 SE.

Option one keeps speaker count to minimum but will there be an integration problem with different makes – also is it possible to switch from av to hifi so that I can listen to music through my integrated amp?

Option two keeps systems separate and therefore purer signal for stereo use but doubles up on front speakers.

Not sure how to approach this – any comments welcome.

DD

nads

I would say the biggest issue is if there is any other people in the house and what they will put up with.

For me it is two seperate set ups with just the SACD player connected to both.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
I would go with option 1. I'm not sure what centre speaker (if any) would be a tonal match for the Duos. Couldn't you try and source a single AVI bookshelf to use as a centre or run the system without one in a phantom centre mode? You would need an AV Receiver that has front pre-outs. I'm not sure of current pricing but the £400 (RRP) stuff from Denon (1909) and Onkyo (606) lacks preouts. You would need to look further up the range for this. I use this setup and there is no problem with integration between makes. I use an Arcam integrated hifi amp and a Denon AVR and have been more than happy. I used Yamaha prior to that. When you switch to hifi, you simply have to remember to turn the volume down otherwise you could blow your speakers or ears. Ideally you need the hifi amp set at 0db (I use 12 o'clock for easy reference) I have my tuner and CDP connected to the integrated amp and my Squeezebox connected via RCA (using internal DACs) to the AVR. The AVR controls the overall system volume and it works very well for both music and movies.

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
No it is simply engaged by selecting no centre in the amp's setup menu and the centre channel is directed to the left/right front speakers. It really depends on the quality of the equipment in question and where you sit. I would simply say to try it first.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
l_caa0a77dabf31fec69c7d619c566f746.jpg

A quick look at the pic shows I went with option 2. OK, 10 speakers (inc. Sub) in a living room may seem like overkill to some, but the beauty of style speakers is their lack of visual impact on their envronment. They may stick out a bit due to the lovely magnolia wallpaper and the draped wiring, but once the room has been decorated you'll hardly know they're there.

The biggest advantage is that I can update my Hi-Fi components, knowing they don't have to do anything other than sound great. i won't have to buy B&W again if I don't want to. It won't affect tonality of my home cinema.

*I will concede however, that the day I will need to upgrade my Hi-Fi, will come many, many years before yours will.*

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:No it is simply engaged by selecting no centre in the amp's setup menu and the centre channel is directed to the left/right front speakers. It really depends on the quality of the equipment in question and where you sit. I would simply say to try it first.

Aah right - thanks.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:

A quick look at the pic shows I went with option 2. OK, 10 speakers (inc. Sub) in a living room may seem like overkill to some, but the beauty of style speakers is their lack of visual impact on their envronment. They may stick out a bit due to the lovely magnolia wallpaper and the draped wiring, but once the room has been decorated you'll hardly know they're there.

The biggest advantage is that I can update my Hi-Fi components, knowing they don't have to do anything other than sound great. i won't have to buy B&W again if I don't want to. It won't affect tonality of my home cinema.

*I will concede however, that the day I will need to upgrade my Hi-Fi, will come many, many years before yours will.*

I can definitely see the benefits of your system Chris - I had originally thought of the Kef package in black which could have blended in with my black floorstanders (the fronts could even have sat on top of them). Also I'd prefer my two channel system not to have anything else in the signal path (AVR).
On the other hand, my Duos sit in open space, maybe a metre from the wall, so there would be more cables to try and conceal and I really, really want a mahogany BK Monolith sub as I think I can integrate it better into my living room (i.e. stick a table lamp on it and you'll never know it's a sub).
Great, now I don't know which direction to go - good job I don't have the dosh for this at the moment.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Drummerdave:Big Chris:

I can definitely see the benefits of your system Chris - I had originally thought of the Kef package in black which could have blended in with my black floorstanders (the fronts could even have sat on top of them). Also I'd prefer my two channel system not to have anything else in the signal path (AVR).
On the other hand, my Duos sit in open space, maybe a metre from the wall, so there would be more cables to try and conceal and I really, really want a mahogany BK Monolith sub as I think I can integrate it better into my living room (i.e. stick a table lamp on it and you'll never know it's a sub).
Great, now I don't know which direction to go - good job I don't have the dosh for this at the moment.

The other benefit I have which I forgot to mention earlier. I can listen to music on my headphones, and the Wife can watch TV at the same time. If I ran the fronts through my stereo amp, she'd be forced to watch the TV via the TV speakers......Unthinkable.

;-)

It's a tough one Dave.

Drummerdave

Dec 4, 2007
Visit site
Big Chris:Drummerdave:Big Chris:

The other benefit I have which I forgot to mention earlier. I can listen to music on my headphones, and the Wife can watch TV at the same time. If I ran the fronts through my stereo amp, she'd be forced to watch the TV via the TV speakers......Unthinkable.

;-)

It's a tough one Dave.

Ah but I could still do that because the wife will quite happily use the tv speakers, she sometimes complains it's too loud though the hifi (which it probably is due to my dodgy hearing - rock + drumming = tinnitus)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts