Best DAC/Streamer for handling low quality music formats Mp3,Youtube,etc

unklecorky

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
Hi Gang. Looking into get into separates in the near future and with the vast assortment of high quality streamers available I'm trying to determine which ones could "potentially" make the best of lossy mp3 files. Majority will be 320 KPS. Sometimes lower. A lot of the music I listen to isn't available in better quality formats and some are even 256 or 192. Hell some of it is YouTube lol. I know this isn't ideal. Just curious what streamers/dacs are generally considered best for not bringing out the worst with these formats. Budget is between 1,000-3,000. Willing to go a bit higher if necessary. That being said I listen to music in higher quality formats when available so I need something that would be able to perform well with both ends of the spectrum.

unklecorky

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
I'm in the process of piecing together a system. Trying to choose all the components in advance so I don't get stuck with having gear incompatible with one another. All I have right now is an LS50W. Which is "ok" for the price leaves a lot to be desired otherwise. Will move that in my bedroom or office. Budget is 11-13k all in. For the streamer/dac I'd like to keep it between 1k-5k USD currency. I would be streaming from either a Laptop/Phone or iMac via Standard iTunes for mp3 library,Tidal and Spotify. Had a Roon trial. Hated it.

jjbomber

I'd go with a pair of active speakers if I was starting from scratch. This would be my shortlist:

Standmounters
Dali Rubicon 2 C
Bowers & Wilkins Formation Duo
Dynaudio Focus 20XD

Floorstanding
Dali Callisto 6 C (with Sound Hub and BluOS streaming card)
Dynaudio Focus 60XD

unklecorky

Sep 24, 2020
Visit site
I already have the LS50W. I want a proper system now to run my turntable and stream. I'm sure some of the options your listing are better than the LS50W but I'm ready for a new experience.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts