Best audio 3d av receiver for around £500.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
pkerai said:
the sony s780 has the advantage of super bit mapping, and would mean that this item wont need replacing. The amp however can be found for £160, has all the connections I need except ipod digital connection (for which the pure i20 can be used). Its just that yamaha are supposed to be the best for music, and its about the only model number and well within my price range. Its a good start. Spending so much money is sometimes wasted on my reletavely cheap speaker setup-which wont be upgraded any time soon. I dont want an amp to be overqualified with these cheap speakers, as it would be wasted component. What do you think?

Which TV have you got? You really need to demo the blu-ray players to see if you can appreciate the difference due to "super bit mapping". Theoretical improvements do not always translate to practical differences. Same goes with the assumption that Yamaha are better musical performers (yes they do, because I have one, but others are not bad either).

The Monitor Audio BX5 floor standers are a good set of speakers. I'm sure you should hear improvements with a better receiver. A higher class receiver usually brings about significant sonic improvements.

Definitely demo your options. This forum will help you shortlist the equipment for demo, not choose one for you. Different people have different preferences.

A

Anonymous

Errr....you are aware that any digit between 0-9 in a four digit number and beyond can be made into 666, 123, etc Eg Denon 2311 2x3x1x1 to quote an obvious example.

TKratz

Jun 13, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
pkerai said:
Ok, I have a phobia around being the antichrist.

Ah right, thanks – now it makes perfect sense.

Lol
smiley-laughing.gif

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
pkerai, I don't want to dismiss your phobia as I know how serious thay can be, but if you were the antchrist you would know by now.

There are different versions of calculating 666/616. To keep things brief,

In Aramaic it's 200+60+100+50+6+200+50 = 666

To Protestants it's Vicarius Filii Dei (Vicar of The Son of God, ie The Pope) as Roman numerals it's, 5+1+100+0+0+1+5+0+0+1+50+1+1+500+0+1 = 666

Muhammad, in Greek is Maometis which in Greek gematria is 40+1+70+40+5+300+10+200 = 666

Some Biblical scholars will even argue that it's actually 6x6x6 which is of course 216

I've only posted this so you can see that with maths you can make any number make any other number. Unless the number is specifically 666 or 616 I'd buy the best amp possible. Therefore the Yamahas can be considered.

A

Anonymous

Best avoid the The Omen remake then. Not because of the antichrist. It's just a pants film. On amore seroius note. Do demo the Yamaha amps. I've a Denon 2808 amp and for music it's not the greatest. The Denon 'warm' sound is great if you like your music mellow. If you prefer the heavier side of things you might be left wanting more.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr Magoo,
Im curious as to what you mean by any four digit number and beyond can be made into 666 or even 616.
The denon example is 2*3*1*1.
now this =6 or can be simplified to 6*1*1 which is not 666 or 616.
Furthermore, for any mathematicians out there I would greatly appreciate their input.
Particularly when working in 'modx' groups where x is a digit from 0-9.
I know this is off the topic, but it would greatly reduce my anxiety and thus help me enjoy music!.
I must ever so greatly thank the user who explained the socio-geographic significance of the numbers.
ie. how the composition of 666 and/or 616 has different meanings for people.
Youve done more for me then any therapist!
Are there any other examples you can cite, or refer me to any articles such as where you gained this information etc....

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Can someone tell me if youtube streaming is free on the new sony blurays ie. bdp-s580/780.
How about on the panasonic blu ray players.
I dont wanna have to pay for monthly sony 'quatrocity' (or something like that) subscription just to access youtube or internet radio stations.
Please explain!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pkerai said:
Can someone tell me if youtube streaming is free on the new sony blurays ie. bdp-s580/780. How about on the panasonic blu ray players. I dont wanna have to pay for monthly sony 'quatrocity' (or something like that) subscription just to access youtube or internet radio stations. Please explain!

YouTube and internet radio are all free. Qriocity is a subscription service.

But they all stream at 666kbps (sorry, couldn't resist).

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
my phobia is serious.
I know your just joking.
But im telling the truth.

And another question can youtube be accessed via the sony app on ipod touch so that it plays from the bluray player without having to go through the hdmi display -if you just want to listen to it that is.
How much control does the app provide for internet based music.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
pkerai said:
I must ever so greatly thank the user who explained the socio-geographic significance of the numbers. ie. how the composition of 666 and/or 616 has different meanings for people. Youve done more for me then any therapist! Are there any other examples you can cite, or refer me to any articles such as where you gained this information etc....

You can find this information all over the internet. I've only mentioned a few examples that came readily to mind (yes, I'm full of useless information). There are hundreds of different interpretations for the "number of the beast".

There's also the question as to why he has a number, God is never referred to as a number, so why the antichrist.

As Patrick Magoohan said in the Prisoner, "I am not a number, I am a free man"

And so my friend are you.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
pkerai said:
my phobia is serious. I know your just joking. But im telling the truth. And another question can youtube be accessed via the sony app on ipod touch so that it plays from the bluray player without having to go through the hdmi display -if you just want to listen to it that is. How much control does the app provide for internet based music.

If you're convinced you may be be the antichrist, and not just 333+VAT (which of course is the Trade Price of the Beast), then I'd venture to suggest that concerns over how you access YouTube may just be the least of your problems...

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
surely that should be 555+VAT

If you catch anyone in the consumer electronics industry working on those kind of margins, then the end of the world truly is nigh.

Hang on – chrisr1718? That's dangerously near to... (hides under blanket, cowers in terror)

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Have you thought abou the Denon AVC-A1HDA? I know that blows your budget but it's solves the "number" problem.

Hold on a minute .... If you apply a value to each letter as it appears in the alphabet .... apply the appropriate formula .... and arithmetic equation .... no ..... it can't be ..... can it..... ????

I'm getting outta here now bbbbbyyyyyyeeee

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
chrisr1718 said:
Have you thought abou the Denon AVC-A1HDA?

The Denon 'Apocalypse Very Close - Anno 1 His Darkness Approacheth?' Now you're just toying with him...

And anyway, the Denon offers DTS Neo:6, so is clearly out of the question

A

Anonymous

onkyo TX-NR609, best bang for your buck and you will have £1 spare. Bought this a few weeks ago and I think it is fantastic.

A

Anonymous

Ok, firstly let me say I'm a former maths lecturer so know a little about maths, secondly...if you really do have a phobia then I don't think me trying (over the limitations of a forum) to explain further will help you much except to say it's a little like the bible code idea whereby you can make the code say whatever you want it to and thirdly I'd agree with thoughts on an Onkyo 609. I was about to buy a Denon 2311 but had a last minute change of heart after I auditioned the Onk side by side and was blown away by how much fuller, crisper and detailed the sound was.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
denon 2311...got ours for £430...think its goes for £400 now...originally £800...

or wait for the Denon 2312 which would surely fall to your price range as it includes apple airplay amongst other wireless gizmos i think

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mr Magoo, sorry to insult you.
Im also a mathematician and an explanation would be most appreciated.
it doesnt have to be lengthy. Im just a little rusty and forgotten all that number theory stuff.
Particularly when its so important too.
Are there any other theorems which I could apply.
Its just that I really do have to go to those depths when decision making in everyday life.

And I dont want to have to derive alot of this myself and apply to 666/616 etcc...

You see, then I would have alot of unnecessary information. I just need to know when to apply it (which is a personal decision making issue). But proofs would be most appreciated.

Im suprised someone hasnt written papers in mathematics on this. If so, where can I find them.
Is it listed under phd thesis's, or somewhere else?

Much, much appreciated.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Here we go again...

pkerai said:
I just need to know when to apply it (which is a personal decision making issue).

This remark speaks volumes.

If you have a real phobia you don't choose when to apply it, you don't choose the situation to suit your specific needs, it's with you ALL the time in ALL situations.

You just think you have a phobia because it's convenient at certain times. Stop using it as an excuse.

If you have a phobia at all, it's a phobia of having a phobia!

Certainly, if your "phobia" was that real you would have already done the research and have the answer to the questions you're asking.

Let's all just get back to the topic of this discussion, Home Cinema amps!

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Its my use of language that is causing problems.
I have a mental condition which I dont want to discuss in detail except to say that I do have a phobia.
Your right, I cannot choose when to apply it and so need to apply it all the time.

Furthermore, I dont think I have the brain power to do all that much research as to put my mind at rest. This is why Im requesting some assistance.
I dont want to fill my brain with lots of useless information. My anxiety is around the issue of not being able to discriminate exactly what is feasible, and I often cannot make my mind up (obsessive compulsive disorder) and so panic and procrastinate.

Im doing it so (partly atleast), I can reduce my anxiety and enjoy the music more.

Also, applying it all the time requires great awareness, all of which Im in the process of developing through practise. Its the detail in which i go into that is crucial.
As someone pointed out -if it aint 666 or 616 then dont worry (from some logical positivist view atleast).
I agree with this but would like to take it a little more detail then this. It would provide me with great re-assurance and reduce my anxiety.
This would mean I need some assistance from mathematicians, and using my own judgement as to what is feasible I would apply this standard.

Regards.

chrisr1718

Sep 18, 2009
Visit site
Hey, I've just come up with a brilliant idea.
smiley-smile.gif

Let's talk AV amps, let the forum members share their views and make recommendations based on their experiences.
smiley-surprised.gif

You can then decide to which product you want to apply your phobia, IN PRIVATE
smiley-yell.gif

TRENDING THREADS