Best audio 3d av receiver for around £500.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi, sorry about the blank text.
I currently have a pair of monitor audio bx5 floor standers and a pair of q acoustics 2010 bookshelf speakers. I have some decent speaker cable too.
I want to purchase a blu ray player and 3d av reciever.
I will be primarily using it for music and not films/tv.
I know that av receivers are reviewed as all round performance and that is why i need some advice.
Im thinking of purchasing sony bdp s780 blu ray.
This will provide me with network features which could be potentially missing from a chosen 3d av receiver. It also boasts youtube streaming (for all the lower quality audio needs).
I would then use this as my cd player (with occasional blu ray use) and connect to an 3d av receiver via. hdmi.
This is where i need the advice.
What 3d av receivers have the best stereo or audio quality for around £500.
Here are the candidates:
pioneer vsx 920 - £299
onkyo sr608 - £299
denon 2311 - £399
Any other suggestions. The added bonus of digital ipod connection would be good.
And i think (correct me if im wrong) i can rely on the network features of the blu ray.
Considering that the denon 2311 used to be £800, i think this maybe a bargain.
And no, I havent tested any receivers out.
Im just asking ( I know that alot of its down to personal opinion) but I need some advice none the less!
Any other receivers I should consider?
Please state if you require any other info!

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would consider spending about £650 if I were to get a bargain.
Alot of what hifi reviews dont seperate in sections how a product performs in specific criteria except as an overall performance rating.
So I need some experienced advice.
Many thanks.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Check out the Yamaha RXV667 or the RXV1067 for your higher budget.
I can also recommend Marantz receivers. I had the NR1501, but as you want 3D look at the NR1601.

At least that's somewhere to start looking.

A

Anonymous

Pioneer works very well with MA speakers, but you might want to consider stepping it up to the VSX1020 or LX53. Pioneer works well with Apple products as well if that's a key feature for you

scene

Yamahas work well with MA speakers, and you should definitely consider demoing one, as well as the Pioneer and Denon systems. The Yamaha rxv667 and rxv767 are both in budget, as is the Pioneer VSX1020 and your original suggestion of the Denon AVR2311. I'd try to arrange demos of all three/four...

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Im not too keen on yamaha as I have superstitious beliefs with anything resembling 666 or 616.
Are there any models you can reccommend that do not meet this criteria.

I would have thought the denon 2311 would be the best, as it is priced so highly originally compared to the cheaper but highly rated options.
It has to be 2010 model or above as 3d only came out since then.

Im also suprised that no one has mentioned onkyo. With so many awards. Is not highly detailed for music needs. ie. onkyo 608 or 808.
Not to mention the 2011 models.

Remember it will primarily be used for music in stereo, with the occasional SACD.
It alll about raw sound quality, network features are least important while connectivity features such as ipod digital input are important too.

By the way has anyone any experience with sony bdp s570/s580 or s770/s780.
Im sure this will take care of any lack of networking on the av receiver.

Much appreciated.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
P.S. Considering I have releatively cheap speaker setup with Monitor audio br5 floor standers and q acoustics 2010 bookshelf, is spending alot on an av receiver a waste of money?

What budget or models would get the most out of them without being over qualified?

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
I had the Marantz with a pair of Monitor Audio BR5s and it was very impressive. Don't let the number of watts quoted put you off as it really does perform above what you'd think. I've found Marantz and Yamaha are really pretty good for music (if you can get over the number thing the 667/767 really are great value. Don't be seduced by the perceived value of the Denon, it's a great price now but if music is your main concern it might not be for you. But only your ears can tell. Whatever if music is so important I'd definitely consider a dedicated CD player rather than using the BDP for listening. Remember if you get a good CD Transport you can advantage of the DAC in the receiver. Others may help you decide on cheap players with good transports but if you can find something like the Phillips CD 610 Mk II will prob be very affordable somewhere like bay.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Could you elaborate on the 'cd transport' because i understand the idea but cannot distinguish the difference between this and a normal cd player when purchasing.
Which are highly related, and what sort of price is this range.

Furthermore, no one has commented on the onkyo range of 3d av receiver performance on music.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Sorry. By CD Transport. I really mean a normal CD player. By getting an older cheaper one with a good transport which is basically the controls and the bit that spins the CD. an older, cheaper CD player may have an inferior DAC to modern equivalents. As long as it has digital (optical or coaxial) outputs you can connect using this method to the corresponding input of the AV receiver and reap the benefit of more modern tech. The Yamahs are pretty good in this respect.
The reason I never commented on Onkyo is, I think the last Onkyo component I listened to of any type was about 15 years ago. I get the feeling from forum posts that whilst very impressive with movies not quite delicate enough for music. Although perhaps the new models 609,709 etc will address this.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Why not a new cd player or even a blu ray player such as what i have mentioned.
It has optical, coaxial and hdmi output. plus if fufills my movie need too.
What settings if any should be used? And what is better between hdmi, optical, coaxial for cd transport use? I thought it was hdmi.
Thats why i thought of using hdmi to connect to av receiver.
What sort of DAC should I look for in an av reciever?

What kind of budget for av receiver? (considering me speaker setup wont be upgraded)
I dont want to spend extra on an av receiver which will be 'over qualified' and hence a waste of money.

Thank you for your advice.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Is the onkyo nr609 a better audio listen then denon avr 2311.
The onkyo is priced at around 500, while the denon is 400.

Im primarily interested in audio quality only.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. But it does resemble 616. 1067= 1066.6 Im fond of purchasing that model, if it wasnt for that. Furthermore the denon 1911 is a cheap option at £199 at richer sounds. But that resembles 616 too. It involves some maths. The yamaha 2067 is a good option and its selling for £729. The yamaha 1067 goes for around £550.

pkerai said:
Thanks for the reply. But it does resemble 616. 1067= 1066.6 Im fond of purchasing that model, if it wasnt for that. Furthermore the denon 1911 is a cheap option at £199 at richer sounds. But that resembles 616 too. It involves some maths. The yamaha 2067 is a good option and its selling for £729. The yamaha 1067 goes for around £550.

:O Never heard of this as a reason to not buy an AV receiver!

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I would if I could buy that model.

But looks like its gonna be a denon 2311, yamaha 2067, or maybe an onkyo.
Im not fond of the onkyo 609. I dont think it produces spectacular sounds - which is what im after.

Any other suggestions?

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I know, but im sure you have heard of 666,616 in revelations section of bible.
Furthermore, Im not christian, but am having to aviod these numbers for complicated reasons.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok,
Since yamaha are better for sound (so Im told), which is better from these 3:
1. Yamaha rx-v467 (£170)
2. Denon avr-1911 (£199)
3. Sony stdrdh810. (£199)

Im primarily gonna use it for sound though.
Advice please.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have a phobia around being the antichrist.
And so avioding this number is a must. Thats pretty much it.

Ok, Out of those budget recievers which is best for music.
Ive read somewhere that the yamaha rx-v467 can better the old award winning onkyo 608 for music.
It could be just the solution until I can get another replacement.
I want to pair it with sony bdp-s780.
This will take care of my network needs.
Ive also heard that sony is bright sounding, which may compliment the yamaha which is supossedly warmer. I am using monitor audio br5 floorstanders and q acoustics 2010 rears. (no sub as yet).
Advice?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
If there has to be an antichrist (and that requires a huge amount of disbelief-suspension on my part), I'd really prefer it to be me than anyone else...

My phone number used to end in 666. ;)

The 609 has won many praises. I would strongly recommend auditioning your shortlist before making a purchase. The Onkyo 609 is a class above the Yamaha 467.

I would recommend saving your cash by going for the Sony S580 & put that extra money in a better receiver. An AV receiver is the heart of any AV system.

pkerai

May 25, 2011
Visit site
the sony s780 has the advantage of super bit mapping, and would mean that this item wont need replacing.
The amp however can be found for £160, has all the connections I need except ipod digital connection (for which the pure i20 can be used).
Its just that yamaha are supposed to be the best for music, and its about the only model number and well within my price range.
Its a good start.

Spending so much money is sometimes wasted on my reletavely cheap speaker setup-which wont be upgraded any time soon.
I dont want an amp to be overqualified with these cheap speakers, as it would be wasted component.
What do you think?

TRENDING THREADS