Best amp wattage for my setup

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

spl84

Jul 17, 2023
Visit site
I've heard that all Naim models are stable down to 2ohm. I am unable to find documentation of this anywhere online. Does anyone know where to verify this?

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
It is online mentioned throughout the niam website at naimaudio.com
"Naim amps are fine into 2 ohms. However, you have to also remember that the Naim amps also have a protection circuit that will kick in to protect the amp when you get down below 2 ohms"

And further fully tested the 2,4,8 ohm loads consistently on another site.

"Post in thread 'Naim = bright?' https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/naim-bright.115907/post-1622840

Tested by stereophile.

I just searched with "can naim amps take a 2ohm load.

There is plenty of other information to match this within the hits.

Hope this helps

Reactions: spl84

rainsoothe

Hi. For those speakers, I'd look at an Arcam Radia 25 or whatever it's called (or a used Arcam FMJ A 39, A29 or A38), or a Naim Nait XS 3 (or a used XS2). If you get any of the Naims, get Tellurium Q Black 2 speaker cable, if you go for Arcam, look at Chord Shawline (or Clearway) speaker cables.

But whatever you do, try to audition first.

Musical Fidelity, Roksan, Rega, Cyrus are also well worth looking into. If you like a more clinical sound, check out Audiolab too.

Would help if you specified your room size, what kind of music you're into, and your budget.

Good luck!

twinkletoes

From the nap 200dr user manual.

I’m not to sure if amps like the nap 100 or the budget nait can but there mid range and up certainly can, but it’s only “prolonged periods” not all the time.

But they’ll be able to drive any these differcult to drive speakers such as the elac’s in the rega over heating thread. Weather your chosen speakers sound good with them is a different story.

Attachments

• IMG_1793.png
    IMG_1793.png
    242.7 KB · Views: 2

rainsoothe

For the record, from my expreience, the pre-amp section is more important in shaping the sound than the power section, so I'd avoid just adding a power amp to the Sony, and carry on with the original plan of getting a new integrated, so you upgrade the whole shebang. Also, don't look too much into the wattage figures, current delivery is way more important imo. Just fyi, doubling the watts only yields a 3 db increase in volume. What you want is amps with high and/or stable current delivery.

Also forgot to add Hegel to my list of suggestions. Even a used H190 should last you a lifetime, but the H120 or H95 aren't slouches either, and should be plenty enough for your Focals.

SohoAudiophile

Jun 5, 2024
Visit site
Genuine question - I've been puzzling over this lately...

How does the pre-amp have any effect on sound quality? Is it not just a source switch with a potentiometer? Does it do anything 'active' to the sound?

I ask because I'm now the happy owner of an N-272 streaming pre, but I have the same power amp as you - it can power a dedicated pre-amp - so I'm wondering if that should be on my upgrade path.

For the record, from my expreience, the pre-amp section is more important in shaping the sound than the power section, so I'd avoid just adding a power amp to the Sony, and carry on with the original plan of getting a new integrated, so you upgrade the whole shebang. Also, don't look too much into the wattage figures, current delivery is way more important imo. Just fyi, doubling the watts only yields a 3 db increase in volume. What you want is amps with high and/or stable current delivery.

Also forgot to add Hegel to my list of suggestions. Even a used H190 should last you a lifetime, but the H120 or H95 aren't slouches either, and should be plenty enough for your Focal

Stuart83

Jul 22, 2023
Visit site
Genuine question - I've been puzzling over this lately...

How does the pre-amp have any effect on sound quality? Is it not just a source switch with a potentiometer? Does it do anything 'active' to the sound?

I ask because I'm now the happy owner of an N-272 streaming pre, but I have the same power amp as you - it can power a dedicated pre-amp - so I'm wondering if that should be on my upgrade path.
A preamp is what boosts the signal from wherever anciliries to line level for further amplification (to the amp)
In short a better quality pre-amp does this "better" some with more gain than others resulting in a higher possible volume at the amp section and a richer fuller sound.
It's a vital step in a sound system that better handled obviously gives better sound.

In short It will give you a cleaner signal with lower noise, less distortion, and more headroom.

A preamp is what boosts the signal from wherever anciliries to line level for further amplification (to the amp)
In short a better quality pre-amp does this "better" some with more gain than others resulting in a higher possible volume at the amp section and a richer fuller sound.
It's a vital step in a sound system that better handled obviously gives better sound.

In short It will give you a cleaner signal with lower noise, less distortion, and more headroom.
I agree, and in some situations a good preamp matches the impedance optimally too. Sure, the high outputs we regularly encounter with DACs and CD players can be passed via a passive ‘switch’ but traditional preamps do much more. ‘Driving’ a power amp ideally can reap benefits.

That said, purists love the likes of Music First and Townshend TVC designs, which are another category that needn’t detain us here.

Last edited:
Reactions: SohoAudiophile

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts