Been offered a V1 Cambridge Audio Azur 840

As title implies, a mate is offering to sell me his Cambridge AudioAzur 840A V1 for £100. Just wanted to ask whether, as this amp was released I think in 2008, its worth it?

My current setup is a new Yamaha AS701 matched to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. This amp has a DAC and bluetooth but the CA doesnt. I need a second amp for the kitchen/lounge area anyways and was going to buy a cheaper amp such as the Yamaha AS501 and the 9.1's again.

Is this old amp worth it paired to the 9.1? i mean in its prime this amp was not cheap ...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
Michael Skeparnides said:
As title implies, a mate is offering to sell me his Cambridge AudioAzur 840A V1 for £100. Just wanted to ask whether, as this amp was released I think in 2008, its worth it?

My current setup is a new Yamaha AS701 matched to a pair of Wharfedale Diamond 9.1's. This amp has a DAC and bluetooth but the CA doesnt. I need a second amp for the kitchen/lounge area anyways and was going to buy a cheaper amp such as the Yamaha AS501 and the 9.1's again.

Is this old amp worth it paired to the 9.1? i mean in its prime this amp was not cheap ...

For a 100£ ! - it's a snip! - so much power! - Very clear sound but a little dry in the lower reaches.

tonky

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Age shall bit weary them.

Most amp technology is pretty mature, so what was a good amp (and not cheap) in 2008 will still be excellent. In fact I'd want to pair it with better speakers. Dad still uses a Luxman amp from the 70s and it still holds its own.

yeah i tested it at his and it has the punchy character of the classic cambridge audio we know and love. thing is he has barely used it in the 5-6 years he has had it so its literally as new. it makes wierd clicking nooises when you adjust the volume and MY GOD the thing is heavy!!!!!

what speakers at a reasonable price do you recommend?

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
noises when you adjust the volume, CA used to use relays in their volume controls so it's nothing to worry about and yes all their older (and newer) high end amps were/are heavy, to me that says strong build and probably a large transformer or two inside.

for £100 I think it's a bargain.

*music2*

K

keeper of the quays

thanks, so the Diamond 9.1's ive trusted for years is no longer the darling of the hifi world? :)
seems not? What they say bout amps holds true for speakers too...i used to have ca amp..great remote control! I have a ca dac and a ca phono stage..cant fault sonic performance..but not sure re build quality..got niggly problems with both of them...

tonky

Jan 2, 2008
Visit site
I have the CA 840A v2 . Yes built like a tank - very heavy - very reliable. I still have it. Beautifully spacious and controlled. It didn't always suit my epos es 14 on older poorly recorded material. Bass was very well defined but a liitle light and dry. I don't think it matched the speakers. It was amazingly loud and well controlled tho. For the price - you have to get it!

tonky

K

keeper of the quays

Mine was a 640 azur amp..very nice sound, but volume control horrid..cheap thin plastic job..guess 840 bit more upmarket..great remote control..best ever!

so been listening and I actually think the sound out performs my Yamaha AS701. Its more punchier and delivers a better sound stage in that vocals sound crisp and live (whathifi review said the V1 had questionable treble) and you can really hear the detail in tracks such as Royals and David Bowie's Lazarus sounds more 'real' for want of a better word.

I am a very happy bunny and i can see now why £100 is a bargain, seen this on eby for £300+ and a auction at £230, so paid far less than the latter.

Anyone suggest a decent but not too expansive network/bluetooth player/dac?

btw LOVING the avatar pic drummerman, the lipstick suits u! :)

K

keeper of the quays

Good stuff! So the diamonds are a keeper then? I used my ca amp thru diamonds 9.4..fine speakers!

guess at this price i couldnt have my entire cake and eat it. for some reason if i tip the balance totally to one side i can still hear a bit (but less loud) sound on the other speaker, and vice versa. also input 2 doesnt work. when the speakers are in balance the sound level is equal so there's no real loss of qulity.

obvs i am not gonna moan too much but ive checked my wiring so must be old age right?

thinking of pairing the chromecast audio, it a good network streamer?

K

keeper of the quays

guess at this price i couldnt have my entire cake and eat it. for some reason if i tip the balance totally to one side i can still hear a bit (but less loud) sound on the other speaker, and vice versa. also input 2 doesnt work. when the speakers are in balance the sound level is equal so there's no real loss of qulity.

obvs i am not gonna moan too much but ive checked my wiring so must be old age right?

thinking of pairing the chromecast audio, it a good network streamer?
I'm not surprised! The inputs on my dac magic and phono stage need a fiddle to get them to work..i do change my cables a bit..but I like ca kit..im sure they over spec inside..which means you get a lot more amp for your money!

TRENDING THREADS