BBC To Launch 5 New HD Channels

daveh75

"The BBC today announced it will launch five new subscription-free BBC HD channels. The new channels - BBC News HD, BBC Three HD, BBC Four HD, CBeebies HD and CBBC HD - will launch by early 2014 and will be offered to all digital television platforms that carry HD channels.*"

www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/latestnews/2013/bbchdchannels.html

RodhasGibson

Oct 10, 2008
Visit site
BBC 3 AND 4 will be good for me,pity local news wasn't included though.Sorry just seen We're particularly happy to hear that Auntie also plans to upgrade your local news to HD - which means you won't have to swap to a non-HD channel when BBC Breakfast segues into its local news coverage any more. That's a win.

daveh75

BenLaw said:
Worth noting that BBC 4 HD, cbeebies HD and BBC news HD will initially only be available to 70% of the population.

It does mean the programming will be available in HD on iPlayer though, which is better than the ridiculous situation we've had since the closure of BBC HD, whereby bbc3/4 programming can't be streamed in HD because it hasn't been broadcast in HD

scene

daveh75 said:
BenLaw said:
Worth noting that BBC 4 HD, cbeebies HD and BBC news HD will initially only be available to 70% of the population.

It does mean the programming will be available in HD on iPlayer though, which is better than the ridiculous situation we've had since the closure of BBC HD, whereby bbc3/4 programming can't be streamed in HD because it hasn't been broadcast in HD

+1 on that. And BBC 3 and 4 on HD is great - all those great documentaries that just haven't been in HD, when things like Antiques Roadshow have been :rant:

themovierooms

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
Excellent news. A much better move than 3D.

BBC4 is the one that I especilly wanted HD on as so many of the documentaries will benefit from higher resolution.

I second that. BBC 4 has some really good content.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
This is very good news, albeit that some channels, I guess on Freeview repeater transmitters, will take time to reach most people.

NOW IF CHANNEL 4 ARE WATCHING. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE 4HD IN WALES [Freeview] NOW THAT CLIRLUN HAS BEEN TERMINATED?

Sorry for the 'shouting' but it is very annoying that I cannot access 4HD on Freeview. |(

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
relocated said:
This is very good news, albeit that some channels, I guess on Freeview repeater transmitters, will take time to reach most people.

NOW IF CHANNEL 4 ARE WATCHING. CAN WE PLEASE HAVE 4HD IN WALES [Freeview] NOW THAT CLIRLUN HAS BEEN TERMINATED?

Sorry for the 'shouting' but it is very annoying that I cannot access 4HD on Freeview. |(

Have you considered going the Freesat route? Your problem would be solved without too much expense. Moreover, you shouldn't rely on the powers that be to make rational and/or helpful decisions.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
relocated said:

Have you considered going the Freesat route? Your problem would be solved without too much expense. Moreover, you shouldn't rely on the powers that be to make rational and/or helpful decisions.

Thanks Strapped, I do have Freesat on the tv but I rarely watch tv as it is broadcast. I record almost everything because I cannot put up with the nauseating adverts and my recorder is a freeview job. Putting a new lnb on the dish + all the wiring was too much trouble and I, stupidly, didn't imagine that C4 would keep HD out of Wales on Freeview for this long.

As you say, why would I imagine that 'the powers' would act reasonably and provide equal cover in such a small country as the UK.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts