BBC Olympics HD - 24 channels

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Anyone noticed that there will be 24 (twenty-four!) dedicated HD BBC Olympics channels ? Wow, just seen them poised on Virgin, ready for action.

daveh75

They've actually been testing off EPG for the last 7 weeks or so ( the SD ones anyway, HD about 4 weeks), but there was little point of mentioning at the time since,

A, the Olympics haven't started...

B, they've largely been txing a test card and the same short video loop

C, Sky boxes are sh#te, and wont let you manually tune DVB-S2 channels ( though Freesat boxes/IDTVs can)

duncansbby

Apr 14, 2009
Visit site
They are broadcasting 3D highlights from 11pm each night on BBCHD for one hour.

This may be a daft question but if we are able to 24 extra HD channels during the Olympics , why can't we get more freesat hd the rest of the year

daveh75

duncansbby said:

This may be a daft question but if we are able to 24 extra HD channels during the Olympics , why can't we get more freesat hd the rest of the year

Because Sky are providing the capacity/footing the bill for satellite distribution of the 24 HD and SD Olympic feeds...

roger06

Dec 23, 2007
Visit site
Hmm, I'm questioning whether it's worth upgrading to Freeview HD then.

So if Freesat has all these extra channels, why on earth have they not been banging on about it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Freesat sales been somewhat poor? wouldn't adverising this fact have sold zillions of 'em for the Olympics?

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
roger06 said:
Hmm, I'm questioning whether it's worth upgrading to Freeview HD then.

So if Freesat has all these extra channels, why on earth have they not been banging on about it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't Freesat sales been somewhat poor? wouldn't adverising this fact have sold zillions of 'em for the Olympics?

Well they have been advertising the fact:

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/newsarchive2/Newsarchive3/freesat_ad.jpg

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
I don't have Sky or Virgin, so I get the extra 24 HD Olympic channels through my Humax Freesat box. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I am very impressed with how clear the pictures are on these 24 Olympic HD channels. While watching the table-tennis, volleyball (the proper 6-players-per-side kind, not that "beach" nonsense) or basketball and they do a close up of the net, the basket or of the players' faces, it seems at least as sharp as the image from a Blu-Ray disc! However, using the 24 channels on Freesat (151 to 174) gives only stereo sound. To get 5.1 surround sound I have to use BBC One HD or BBC HD, on Freesat channels 108 and 109.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Son-of-sj

The 5.1 sound on the HD channels is pretty awful - have a look at the "volume levels" thread. It appears that maybe the BBC aren't being given the 5.1 feed from OBS and are transmitting some awful fudge instead.

The 2 channel sound on the extra Olympics channels sounds much better.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
Son-of-sj

The 5.1 sound on the HD channels is pretty awful - have a look at the "volume levels" thread. It appears that maybe the BBC aren't being given the 5.1 feed from OBS and are transmitting some awful fudge instead.

The 2 channel sound on the extra Olympics channels sounds much better.

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
I don't have Sky or Virgin, so I get the extra 24 HD Olympic channels through my Humax Freesat box. I don't know what anyone else thinks, but I am very impressed with how clear the pictures are on these 24 Olympic HD channels. While watching the table-tennis, volleyball (the proper 6-players-per-side kind, not that "beach" nonsense) or basketball and they do a close up of the net, the basket or of the players' faces, it seems at least as sharp as the image from a Blu-Ray disc!

I could not agree more.

To my eyes, the velodrome - and most particularly the swimming - PQ has been nothing short of absolutely stunning. The swimming has been a total revelation in broadcast quality to me, and yes, it easily compares to any of my Blu Rays. I love watching the swimming in any case, but even if I didn't I would have had to have watched it for the sheer jaw dropping PQ.

A

Anonymous

24 channels too many. Thank god the Drug-Olympics is nearly over......
smiley-smile.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
duncansbby said:

Because Sky are providing the capacity/footing the bill for satellite distribution of the 24 HD and SD Olympic feeds...

this is interesting - does it costs lots more to run a HD stream than a SD one? Do you need special satellite slots? I'd be interested in knowing what the financial/logistical barriers are to actually doing away with SD (ignoring you need to shoot everything in HD before you broadcast in HD!).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
OneBoxSystem said:
24 channels too many. Thank god the Drug-Olympics is nearly over......
smiley-smile.gif

Only a handful of the 11,000 athletes - who took part in London 2012 - have proved positive in dope testing. (Every single athlete was tested, some more than once.) Even the horses were tested.

I challenge you to find any other group of 11,000 people, from any age-group or walk of life, who (when subjected to the same battery of tests) would come out anywhere near that clean.

TRENDING THREADS