BBC report - Under 25s are behind surge in vinyl sales

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Paul Clarke said:
I'm afraid 25 is a distant memory for me but any positive news item about vinyl is always welcome.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/22208446

Nice to know!

Maybe the record editors realize now that vinyl is a growing market, and they should edit new stuff but re-edit 80's and 90's records!

With good quallity mastering, i think the market is ready to receave this "new" way to apreciate vinyl!

Lets hope...

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Said this before, so sorry for repeating myself, but I truly believe records will outlive CDs. CDs are already dead as far as many buyers are concerned. There's no market for both physical and virtual digital formats, and downloads suit the modern 'digital lifestyle' more than CDs.

But for the forseeable future there will be a small proportion of people who value buying an album by their favourite artist on a physical carrier, even if they only buy it as a showpiece which is never played, and I predict that their preferred physical carrier will be records.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember being very keen to get hold of a cd player when they first came out, with the promise of improved sound quality, smaller discs that are easier to store etc etc.

And so I pretty much stopped buying vinyl in the 80's. I still have my T/T a Heybrook TT2 which is in excellent condition, cosmetically like new, and I still play records on it. I do wonder how good new vinyl is in comaprison to the mass produced stuff we bought back in the 70's.

The one thing that really annoyed me and still does about vinyl is the clicks and pops, and some pressings back then were on truly awfully thin plastic. I remember the worst offenders in the quality of pressing was anything on CBS or EPIC, nearly all of their records had loads of crackles from new.

I was even known to return lp's complaining about the poor quality of the pressings and to purchase either Japanese pressings which I always found to be of a better quality than UK pressings, or Mobile Fidelity pressings.

Yesterday I dug out my Japanese pressing of Dire Straits Love over Gold, and it brought back memories of how disappointed I was when I got my UK copy home to find it how badly it crackled.

So I do wonder have things improved?

For me vinyl is a bit of a love hate relationship. When it's good I love it but when it crackles and pops I realise why I decided CD's were for me.

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
I remember being very keen to get hold of a cd player when they first came out, with the promise of improved sound quality, smaller discs that are easier to store etc etc.

And so I pretty much stopped buying vinyl in the 80's. I still have my T/T a Heybrook TT2 which is in excellent condition, cosmetically like new, and I still play records on it. I do wonder how good new vinyl is in comaprison to the mass produced stuff we bought back in the 70's.

The one thing that really annoyed me and still does about vinyl is the clicks and pops, and some pressings back then were on truly awfully thin plastic. I remember the worst offenders in the quality of pressing was anything on CBS or EPIC, nearly all of their records had loads of crackles from new.

I was even known to return lp's complaining about the poor quality of the pressings and to purchase either Japanese pressings which I always found to be of a better quality than UK pressings, or Mobile Fidelity pressings.

Yesterday I dug out my Japanese pressing of Dire Straits Love over Gold, and it brought back memories of how disappointed I was when I got my UK copy home to find it how badly it crackled.

So I do wonder have things improved?

For me vinyl is a bit of a love hate relationship. When it's good I love it but when it crackles and pops I realise why I decided CD's were for me.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm buying second hand vinyl mainly from UK, on ebay and only discribed as mint or mear mint, some times exelent conditions. Other i'm buying in a large second hand vinyl store in down town Lisbon.

until yesterday i had 247 albums, two more to pick up at the post office tomorow...

No complains until know. Some play with pops and cracks but after a good cleaning no more parasites noises.

I'm 41 and my first vinyl collection was left behind, and i was able, in four months, to rebuild 90% of my old collection. :bounce:

if i'm a happy man?

Yes i'm !!!

:cheers:

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Reggie Mental said:
TBH I see little point in turning digital recordings into vinyl. It can only result in poorer quality.

This may be true if modern digital recordings were widely available in the resolution they were recorded and mixed in, but as yet, they aren't. It's a moot point whether or not the 'downsample' to CD-quality 16/44 creates deterioration that the human ear can hear, but at least while there is still no widely-available hi-res digital solution in the UK, records cut from a high-res digital source still have a purpose, and will continue to be at least a respected alternative even when (if??) lossless hi-res downloads are ten a penny.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
I'm buying second hand vinyl mainly from UK, on ebay and only discribed as mint or mear mint, some times exelent conditions. Other i'm buying in a large second hand vinyl store in down town Lisbon.

until yesterday i had 247 albums, two more to pick up at the post office tomorow...

No complains until know. Some play with pops and cracks but after a good cleaning no more parasites noises.

I'm 41 and my first vinyl collection was left behind, and i was able, in four months, to rebuild 90% of my old collection. :bounce:

if i'm a happy man?

Yes i'm !!!

I feel you pain, I had to rebuild my collection after hastily ejecting most of my original lot..........I have more than doubled my original count though ;)

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
mitch65 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

if i'm a happy man?

Yes i'm !!!

I feel you pain, I had to rebuild my collection after hastily ejecting most of my original lot..........I have more than doubled my original count though ;)

To be honest, so do I. I've bought as well those albums that I couldn't afford in my youth...

But who's counting... ;)

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Oh dear!

It's such a disappointment when a scratch free record, that looks as though it is in perfect condition crackles and pops, and they develop new ones over time no matter how clean you try to keep them |(

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
mitch65 said:
Hi-FiOutlaw said:

if i'm a happy man?

Yes i'm !!!

To be honest, so do I. I've bought as well those albums that I couldn't afford in my youth...

But who's counting... ;)

the one consolation of getting older is the increase in diposable income :cheers:

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
As I've got older I've started to appreciate Classical music more, though I was interested in my 20's.

On the disposable income comment I find I can now afford to go to more Classical concerts. sometimes I close my eyes and try to compare

the sound I hear with what I hear at home. An interesting experiment.

If I haven't been to a concert for a while I forget just how loud an orchestra can go; I could certainly never play at that volume at home without disturbing the neighbours and the dead in the churchyard not far away!!

So with my disposable income I buy less recorded music but treat myself to hearing it as it should be ...live on real instruments :)

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
One has never worried over vinyl noise, it always seemed to be kept to the speakers (not part of the projected image), the performance goes on as reality all around. One sees it in the same way as one accepts the audiance noise in an auditorium in real life, 'iritating but that is life'. Move on, enjoy the music, which we all accept is better from vinyl . . . we do dont we?

I have always been aware of the changes cartrige types and different stylus types make, also the set up of the cartridge can have a majour affect on the perception of those pops, clicks and the frying bacon. The other thing one has to accept, ' just cos it vinyl' dont garantee quality. I have l have been listening to some very enjoyable digital and digitaly streamed music recently. Vinyl is my roots and preferance, but one does like to keep an open mind and have a wide choice.

CJSF

TRENDING THREADS