BBC launch IPTV exclusive to Freesat

daveh75

Just spotted this on the Join Freesat site....

"The BBC have introduced a range of new IPTV streams, initially, exclusive to Freesat.

The streams, which are accessed via your Freesat receiver connected to the Internet, will give you access to much more content as the bandwidth available is so much greater than that of the red button (using satellite).

The service launched (quietly!) on Friday with Strictly Come Dancing; allowing back stage information and clips from previous shows.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p00cjgxq

Further options will include comedy, music and sport.

We don’t at this stage know exactly which Freesat receivers and televisions this will work on; so give it a go and let us know what you find."

http://www.joinfreesat.co.uk/index.php/bbc-launch-iptv-exclusive-to-freesat

daveh75

strapped for cash:Interesting. So to access this function, in principle, I'd need to plug an ethernet cable into the back of my TV?
Yes, it will require an ethernet connection, same as iplayer.

Also, i haven't tried it yet, but i guess it's accessed the same way as iplayer. i.e via the red button

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:
strapped for cash:Interesting. So to access this function, in principle, I'd need to plug an ethernet cable into the back of my TV?
Yes, it will require an ethernet connection, same as iplayer.

Also, i haven't tried it yet, but i guess it's accessed the same way as iplayer. i.e via the red button

I'm sure you're right: content is accessed via the red button. Unfortunately I don't have an ethernet cable long enough to stretch between my router and TV. I may well invest in one. There are few advantages to Freesat over alternatives (though in my case it's the only service I can reliably receive without shelling out for subscription tv). Would be good to access new features (at the moment that sounds like unlimited access to Kara Tointon). Things could be worse!

I wonder if there's access to HD content?

daveh75

strapped for cash:There are few advantages to Freesat over alternatives (though in my case it's the only service I can reliably receive without shelling out for subscription tv).

There will be 3 more soon(ish)
emotion-5.gif

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:

strapped for cash:There are few advantages to Freesat over alternatives (though in my case it's the only service I can reliably receive without shelling out for subscription tv).

emotion-5.gif

Tease.
emotion-1.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
daveh75:

emotion-5.gif

Babestation 4, Shop Around the Clock, and the Hare-Krishna Channel?

daveh75

strapped for cash:daveh75:

emotion-5.gif

Lol.

BBC2/3/4 HD...

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:strapped for cash:daveh75:

emotion-5.gif

Lol.

BBC2/3/4 HD...

Is this actually going to happen or are you being hopefull? Any idea when if it is?

daveh75

bay24:Is this actually going to happen or are you being hopefull?According to Danielle Nagler (Head of BBC HD & 3D) at a recent Digital TV Summit, BBC2 HD will launch "as soon as it achieves sufficient critical mass of native HD programming to run a 'true HD' prime-time schedule" with BBC3/4 HD to follow "in due coarse"

Any idea when if it is?No dates yet...

But IIRC, the BBCs deadline for all programmes to be filmed in HD is april 2011, and there will also be a boost to satellite capacity/bandwidth in Q2 2011 when Astra 1N launches.

bay24

Aug 13, 2007
Visit site
daveh75:
bay24:Is this actually going to happen or are you being hopefull?According to Danielle Nagler (Head of BBC HD & 3D) at a recent Digital TV Summit, BBC2 HD will launch "as soon as it achieves sufficient critical mass of native HD programming to run a 'true HD' prime-time schedule" with BBC3/4 HD to follow "in due coarse"

Any idea when if it is?No dates yet...

But IIRC, the BBCs deadline for all programmes to be filmed in HD is april 2011 and, there will also be a boost to satellite capacity/bandwidth in Q2 2011 when Astra 1N launches.

That does sound promising! Perhaps a freesat pvr could be a better idea than freeview hd.......

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts