Bass i love it,i need it

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
Maybe it's the language barrier, but on the one hand you say you want accurate bass that isn't disproportionately boosted, but when people have suggested speakers that can deliver that kind of balanced sound (eg HS7), you said they were bass-light, while alternatives that do deliver more bottom end you say are too big. I think we're going round in circles.

Yes i don't have the space for hs8, well i do but they are still to big and deep, i have to use them as dalis without angle them and i would have them a bit to close to where i am sitting.

Yesterday when listen to the HS 7 i was briefly talking to one of the employees, we could agree the hs5 had to little bass (and they are very midrange heavy) and the HS8 has almost to much bass, my room is also a bit to small for HS8 in turns of bass, on the back of the speakers they can only be adjusted from 500hz and down (room control), that might be to wide a range comapred to LF trim that works under 200-300hz.

Im sitting and waiting for a a pair of Yamaha Hs7 to arrive, until that i can't go out for shopping, to avoid waiting longer or having to carry one speaker (since two are a bit to big) up to second floor (where i live) from my local post office.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
Im  sitting and waiting for a a pair of Yamaha Hs7 to arrive, until that i can't go out for shopping, to avoid waiting longer or having to carry one speaker (since two are a bit to big) up to second floor (where i live) from my local post office.
Let us know how they sound in your room. Personally I think you should have held out for the Genlecs that you really wanted, three pages ago. You and I both know your heart really isn't in these Yamahas, you said so yourself. But maybe they will lure you with their charms :)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If you like the Genelec 8040 you should buy them, does not matter if they cost £100 over budget. Surely you can save up? If you buy something else you maybe changing it again fairly soon so you will lose money again.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:
Im sitting and waiting for a a pair of Yamaha Hs7 to arrive, until that i can't go out for shopping, to avoid waiting longer or having to carry one speaker (since two are a bit to big) up to second floor (where i live) from my local post office.
Let us know how they sound in your room. Personally I think you should have held out of the Genlecs that you really wanted, three pages ago. You and I both know your heart really isn't in these Yamahas, you said so yourself. But maybe they will lure you with their charms :)

The genelecs 8040a used are almost double the price of the Yamaha HS7 5000 vs 2750 of my currency, no garanty,no 14/30 days where i can return them if for some reason i don't like them.

Depth of the genelec 8040a is not to much but height and width are bigger than the yamaha hs7, mabye they are to big?

I haven't said i didn't like them, what i have said is i don't think the bass is loud or deep enough (okay they are studio monitors and shouldn't have loud bass unless volume is high), as i have mention HS5 has not enough bass, really lacking, HS8 mabye to much (even for this guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToPpEWlCF6A
wink_smile.png
terrifying monsters, to big (desktop use),best bass i ever heard from any powered speakers) havn't heard the HS7 play bass in my room.

Sound demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Muz_sFnjyKs&feature=youtu.be

Power: krk vs yamaha (hs7) i have auditioned some years ago the krk rookit 5 g2 and yamaha HS50 i chosed the rokit because of the bass, (secon reason the upper midrange is a bit agressive,metallic which where improved with the current hs models), the yamaha HS50 are a bit louder and i have never wanted more power than the rokit's had.

gasolin

BigH said:
If you like the Genelec 8040 you should buy them, does not matter if they cost £100 over budget. Surely you can save up? If you buy something else you maybe changing it again fairly soon so you will lose money again.

Haven't heard the 8040a, they don't sell them any more and my local shop doesn't have the newest model equal to the 8040a

The pair i so for 5000 is used, yamaha HS7 brand 2700 difference in £ is 274, and i might also spent money a new printer sin the hp i have is giving me problems, thats about 75£ less for speakers,cable (need a rca to trs, rca to xlr cable or an adapter for my current cable,that's also a few bucks i can't spend on the speakers)

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
If they are used then you can presumably move them on for little loss if you don't like them? I would not touch HP printers, look at Epson or Canon, is it for photo printing?

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
gasolin said:
Power: krk vs yamaha (hs7) i have auditioned some years ago the krk rookit 5 g2 and yamaha HS50 i chosed the rokit because of the bass, (secon reason the upper midrange is a bit agressive,metallic which where improved with the current hs models), the yamaha HS50 are a bit louder and i have never wanted more power than the rokit's had.
Yeah I demo'd the Rokits, I really didn't like them. Too bass heavy. Seemed quarely aimed at predominantly black male youths who think they're 50 Cent or Dr Dre rapping about their hoes and b*tches to 'beats' they've made on a pirated copy of Fruity Loops or Ableton Live. A stereotype I agree, but search YouTube for Rokits and the screen fills up with them.

gasolin

MajorFubar said:
gasolin said:
Yeah I demo'd the Rokits, I really didn't like them. Too bass heavy. Seemed quarely aimed at predominantly black male youths who think they're 50 Cent or Dr Dre rapping about their hoes and b*tches to 'beats' they've made on a pirated copy of Fruity Loops or Ableton Live. A stereotype I agree, but search YouTube for Rokits and the screen fills up with them.

Demo'd them maybe 3-4 years ago before the yamaha hs 5,7 and 8 where releashed

gasolin

Short review, Yamaha HS7 on 155 isoacoustics stands, not angled, klotz rca to jack/trs interconnects (same model ordered in rca to rca, soundcard to amp,control unit).

+4db on gain,volume,level(click) is fine for most pc's,audio interfaces, not audible hiss, first used without using room control, now on -2db, 500hz and down isn't to bad although 500hz isn't real bass where most studio monitors like adam audio have LF trim,room control starting around 300hz.

Top sounds a little less soft (when i listen to them at the store) thought it was because of spotify and no burn in, stil sounds less soft than something like a ribbon tweeter in my room, many say burn in helps, some say 1 month, the sound is open,clear and sounds good at low volume with dark side of the moon and Listen without Prejudice / MTXV unplugged (pink floyd and george michael), i don't notice any listening fattigue (high trim 0db). Would be strange if there where listening fattigue when a HS7 often is used for mixing or recording for many hours every day, i do how ever hear a few on forums talk about listening fattigue,maby they have listen to songs that are not that good recorded.

Neutral midrange with alot of depth,air and good stereo image, don't sound as if the midrange is shouting at medium levels.

Bass in my room is not ultra tight,dry and deep (-3db 55hz) like a big 12-15" bass, it's more warm,round,deep (still good with room control at -2db) with enough punch for medium loud edm.

Power 35 and 60 watt pr speaker and they do play loud,not as loud as the HS8's,but more loud then recommend for near field listening and could easily be used for small partys,HS8 for medium to large partys.

gasolin

Mabye i will turn down the highs (-2db) the bass isn't thight,dry,hard playing edm, more fullbodied, but they do get loud,punchy.

They sound diffrent watching tv compared to music or a movie (power ranger the movie 2017), not much information,level in the high watcing tv, movie sound are clear,punch and get loud enough for action movies, music has alot more information in the highs, they are good for all 3 things

I hear people say they need burn in and of course i have to get use to the new sound, so it could change a bit

Mabye they could change the top a bit, more soft or 1-2 db lower (for music) but than it wouldn't be a revaling studio monitor and a slightly tighter bass (relative to how the sound is in my room), for tv,movies they are really good and edm at low level theres not to much top and to little bass.

I like them, it's nice when playing edm that the sound is deep and punchy in the bass without distortion,pink floyd also sound awful good and it doesn't have to be loud to sound good.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Just really a few things to add from my experience with these speakers.

First of all, I used then as conventional hi-fi speakers, not desktop or near field. They were solidly mounted on 20 inch, sand filled stands, about 8 ft apart, listening distance about 10-12 ft. The room is roughly 18 by 16 ft with a degree of asymmetry, alcoves etc, furnishings are modern, quite hard and overall a degree or two under damped.

With the controls set flat at the bass end and -2 in the hf, positioned about 15-18 inches out from the wall so that the drivers were just level with or slightly ahead of the tv unit between them.

I judged the tonal balance to be spot on at low to medium level, at louder levels I think a little bass cut would be appropriate but mostly I used them flat. Before I get carried away it is important to make clear that these are budget speakers and therefore limited in terms of detail resolution and transparency, though still easily good enough to show up the differences in various versions of the same album (on Spotify) but this is more than compensated by the total lack of bloom and fake warmth that I find so common in budget passive speakers.

Overall I thought the balance very even and bass extension excellent for pretty much everything bar some electronica and some large scale material, otherwise the solidity and punch was excellent for the kind of music I play. The speakers are open and get the music into the room, even at quite modest levels, soundstage is ok but not something I fret about so I did not spend time adjusting for this, overall the music is engageing with a decent 'live' feel.

Match them with a decent streamer/dac/pre-amp such as the Node 2 or WXC50 for a great minimalist system at very modest cost, not that suited for bos swappers though.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
What I've noticed with audiophiles moving from hifi domestic bookshelfs to budget pro actives is that they miss the extremes of the FR, the midbass hump and glaring upper mids and highs. Describing small actives as lean or dark seems prevalent first impression.

gasolin

They look a little cheap in the front with the plastic ring around the woofer, if you don't feel listening fattigue you can't go wrong with a pair of H7/8, especially in a dorm with limited space for really big speakers yamaha HS8 would be perfect (might be slightly better then the krk rookit 8 g3).

It also makes a difference that most studio minitors are biamped (more punchy) where most have eletronic filter and not passive, incredibel they can make that for less than 350£, just imagine a pair or passie spakers could be wharfedale diamond 225 (the can be bi amped), 2 set of speaker cable 12meter (4x3meter) and a 4 channel or 2x2 channel amps (no electronic crossover to make it easier to sound good) what that would cost.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Well they are cheap and cheaply made. Unlike the metal case Gens these cabinets ring at ~200Hz like 1950s telephones. There's no free lunch. It's amazing how good budget actives sound considering they are made from decomposed garbage.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
They look a little cheap in the front with the plastic ring around the woofer, if you don't feel listening fattigue you can't go wrong with a pair of H7/8, especially in a dorm with limited space for really big speakers yamaha HS8 would be perfect (might be slightly better then the krk rookit 8 g3).

It also makes a difference that most studio minitors are biamped (more punchy) where most have eletronic filter and not passive, incredibel they can make that for less than 350£, just imagine a pair or passie spakers could be wharfedale diamond 225 (the can be bi amped), 2 set of speaker cable 12meter (4x3meter) and a 4 channel or 2x2 channel amps (no electronic crossover to make it easier to sound good) what that would cost.

There are a number of reasons for this, first of all the 'pro' market is very competitive, and you will be surprised to hear, much bigger than the hi-fi market at these sorts of prices. Brands like Yamaha, JBL etc build in huge mumbers so the prices are good.

Secondly, integrated active monitors are pretty cheap to build, the big savings are in case work, the most expensive bit of an amplifier which isn't needed and in power supplies which can be more modest. This results in a tightly specified product that can be excellent value.

Sure their are 'boutique' manufacturers in the pro world too but it seems much harder to get away with the bullsh!t factor, if they don't perform, they will not sell. The Uniti Audio 'The Rock' is a favourite speaker of mine, on paper it is similar to the HS7 in that it is a 6.5 inch two way but with a ribbon tweeter and amps by Tim de Paravicine they are at an entirely different level, though at £2.5k. so they should be.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Well they are cheap and cheaply made. Unlike the metal case Gens these cabinets ring at ~200Hz like 1950s telephones. There's no free lunch. It's amazing how good budget actives sound considering they are made from decomposed garbage.

To be fair, the cabinets on the Yamahas are not that bad, I can really only 'hear' them sounding off on the big HS8s, which is one of the main reasons I think the HS7 is a better bet for hi-fi use.

The other components are as good as they need to be, and no more. Effectively built around cheap 'plate' amplifiers and drivers designed to do the specific job at hand, the proof is very much in the pudding.

Sold in huge numbers, well regarded in general, reliable and consistent, testiment to their design and entirely adequate build quality.

As I mentioned above, you can pay more for a basic 6.5 inch two way, such as 'The Rock' at £2.5k or the mass market but higher quality A7x at about £1k, technically all round better products, better sounding too, but in the pro world you get what you pay for rather more often than you do in hi-fi.

gasolin

As i remember proac uses cheap units but how the do it with the crossover and cabinet by adjusting,fine tuning everything, it ends up sounding good.

Not a matter of using cheap part's it's what you do with it, what combination of cabinet,unit's cable,crossower you use

Use the same ingrediens (food,speaker) one may be able to put something decent together anther could make it sound,taste like you have never had something that good.

Still feel my Q Acoustics 2010I is the best low buget speaker,fairly close to a wall they do a fantatic job for only 95£

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts