• If you ever spot Spam (either in the forums, or received via forum direct message) please use the Report button at the bottom of each post to make sure a Moderator can handle it quickly. Thanks for your help in keeping things running smoothly!

Bass i love it,i need it

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
gasolin said:
I once had krk rokit 5's they where really midbas heavy, to much

Yamaha HS7 i feel lack alot of bass
Agree about the Rokit 5, not one of my favourite speakers.

However I do find the HS7 to be pretty balanced and the bass to be pretty good, however we all have our own views on this.

If you had £1000 to throw at this, then I would suggest you take a look at the 'budget' Genelec M040, which I have heard sound very good indeed, but there is plenty of competition once you get to this level, the Dynaudio Lyd7 for example.

Back in the £300-500 price range my favourite speaker is the Equator D5, but this is a 5in model so unlikely to have the bass response you require, but then something like the JBL LSR308 at around £350 will have all the bass you want but may lack a bit of refinement. That said they are rather better as a hi-fi speaker than you might expect, they certainly sound a little more relaxed than they look!
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
davedotco said:
I do find the HS7 to be pretty balanced and the bass to be pretty good, however we all have our own views on this.
I'd be inclined to agree, but selectively re-quoting me from earlier in this very thread:
MajorFubar said:
sometimes I think we misinterpret the kind of sound some people want. ... Ball-rattling bass isn't particularly difficult or expensive to achieve if you forget the words "refined" and "accurate", but for the same reason some people splash sauce all over a decent meal, they're not after accurate and refined.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
I like to hear the bass funky,groovy (i can with this video with my 2010i's) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY0WxgSXdEE

And a nice punchy dry sound when theres a drum solo (from denmark where i was born and live) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSrTrKFpAYE (also good bass guitar from Roger)

I like my music (the best recordings) to sound musically,dynamic and balanced with not to much top (thin and bright no go) and my rock music (ac/dc,deep purple,pink floyd,queen) to have enough bottom punch oomph compared to pop music

(edm must be able to be play medium high or louder (around 100db) without the bass distorting, speakers like yamaha HS7 go beyond 100db, some close to 110 db for a pair)

I woul be happy if i didn't have to spend more than 350-400£ with shipping
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
Speakers like krk rokit 5 ar rated at about 106 db for a pair, the new mackie mr624 are rates at 108db as i remember, bass often is often alot louder than the midrange top/so 100db with edm wouldn't be that loud compared to max spl
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
gasolin said:
my rock music (ac/dc,deep purple,pink floyd,queen) to have enough bottom punch oomph compared to pop music
One of the problems with a lot of heavy rock music from the 70s is it was often purposefully mixed bass-shy so they could actually cut it to a vinyl record without the running time dropping to about 14 minutes per side. Now that’s where digital remasters should come into their own because there are no such limitations. But we all know unfortunately that remasters aren’t all created equal. To get the thump you want from a lot of that era's music, you're going to still need to use tone controls.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
It's not pa level it's just above avarage

Have heard Lektor 2 and they do have more bottom oomph than lektor 1, i just don't like those windy small bass ports

I do love my pink floyd and they always sound good, even with my 2010i's i do feel the bass is good (just a video that isn't to loud recorded so the volume knob needs a bit more) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrxX9TBj2zY it's (they are) soo good .........
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
Peoples definitions of what is 'good bass' varies enormously which makes recomendations so difficult. For example, I find the suggestion that you find the HS7s to be bass light to be pretty astonishing. In my world they pretty much have the best bass performance in their price class, sure you can get more bass for the money but the combination of clarity, extension and punch makes the HS7 a firm favourite of mine.

It needs context though, in the uk market the HS7 is just a shade over £300pr so clearly you can get better speakers if you are prepared to pay more, my view being that the jump that makes a really big difference is to the £500-700 level, or twice the cost.

At the top of this level you might be able to find the Dynaudio BM5-3 a really good speaker that I know well, it has a 7inch bass driver so the bass is excellent in all respects, though this may be beyond your current budget as they are likely to cost approaching the £700 mark.

Bear in mind that this is very much entry/budget level for such speakers, there will be compromises, the Rokit and the cheaper Mackie models for example are, in practice, pretty much the loudest you can get for the money but the most refined sub £500 model, to my ears at least, is the Equator D5 at £450. Not perfect and only a 5 inch driver but very, very listenable.

Sorry, this is pretty much a 'scatter gun' post, with suggestions from all angles, but the reality is that the more you pay for your speakers, the better they get. I feel there is another sweet spot around the £1k level, with such excellent speakers as the Dynaudio Lyd7, Adam A7x and Genelec M040 all offering excellent all round performance and big enough bass drivers to give sufficient bass for many users.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
Have had the hs8 oh boy they are big,bassy and loud

HS7 i feel is not bassy, krk rokit completely difference, they are one of the only reasonable priced active speaker that i personally feel don't need a subwofer for people like me, BUT they are not so refined, they are studio monitors but more than that they are party speakers.

I can use both active or passive speakers, they other day i so someone say, once you go active you never go back

Sooo what vill get me closest to my goal of a punchy,dynamic (bass) mid sized or smaller speaker with good sound for under 400£,€ ( or the same price as the yamaha HS7, i can get a pair for about 323£ or 363€ with shipping) active or passive speakers?

I do have an amp i feel is punchy and loud enough if sensitivity is around 88db in 6 or 4 ohm

Speaking of size i don't want something bigger than a Yamaha Hs7 if i don't angle them (not to get to bright sounding without having to use an eq on the back of the speaker) under 300mm i depth, width around 200mm and hight could be up to 300-350 mm i have stands that are minimum 75mm,3" so not bigger that 300-350mm
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
You want deep, taught punchy bass, clarity, the ability to pass 100dB with ease without distortion, from speakers less than 20cm wide (so that's 6" driver or less), you don't have room for a separate sub, and you want it all for under €400 a pair. So, no pressure then.

You might manage to find speakers that meet your price and sonic requirements if you buy used, but with your size requirements on the other hand you're fighting with physics, and physics will win.

If you've had the HS8s and they met all your requirements, why do you no longer have them?
 

davedotco

New member
Apr 24, 2013
20
0
0
MajorFubar said:
You want deep, taught punchy bass, clarity, the ability to pass 100dB with ease without distortion, from speakers less than 20cm wide (so that's 6" driver or less), you don't have room for a separate sub, and you want it all for under €400 a pair. So, no pressure then.

You might manage to find speakers that meet your price and sonic requirements if you buy used, but with your size requirements on the other hand you're fighting with physics, and physics will win.

If you've had the HS8s and they met all your requirements, why do you no longer have them?
Is the obvious choice when price, size, performance etc is taken into account, if they don't work for you then I am out of ideas.

If you can go a little larger and want something loud and punchy, the Presonus Eris 8 can be had for €389 from Thomann, inc shipping.

Not the most refined but not half bad, personally I prefer them to the HS8s, which I find a bit too unruly.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
I had The yamaha HS8 but they where to big, just put them on each side om my big monitor (pc) i couldn't angel them and had them to close to me, now i don't have the space for such big speakers.
 

drummerman

New member
Jan 18, 2008
540
1
0
Like I said the OP seems to constantly try and change equipment in the same price category.

Result: likely to be similar. No real upgrade.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
drummerman said:
Like I said the OP seems to constantly try and change equipment in the same price category.

Result: likely to be similar. No real upgrade.
What's wrong with that, A pair of Yamaha HS7/8 costs more than the speakers i have had the last 8 years
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
Why waste your money changing gear all te time, why not save up and buy something decent and keep it for ages. You won't get decent bass from 4" drivers.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
BigH said:
Why waste your money changing gear all te time, why not save up and buy something decent and keep it for ages. You won't get decent bass from 4" drivers.
Music and computers are my passion, like the professionel reviewers like steve Guttenberg (cnet) that has alot of speakers he can use, i only have 1 pair for my tv and 1 for my pc, i like trying alot of speakers,just feel having 2 pair for my pc is a shame, since i only listen to 1 pair and having 1 pair just collecting dust i would rather selv them after 2-3 weeks so they could be used to for listen to music.

I was at my local shop where i knew they had yamaha hs7, listen to dire straits, diana krall and sting from spotify, the speakers where close to a wall on stands.

Sound was good, slightly sparkle from the top which i think was because it was spotify and not tidal hifi, midrange sounded neutral
with an okay stereo image, bass i feelt on some numbers hade a weak boost at a very low frequency (which surprised me since hs5 has not enough bass and hs8 almost to much).

Playing between low and medium high the speakers had no indication of being close to there spl limit so i could have my own little party.
 

BigH

New member
Dec 29, 2012
97
1
0
gasolin said:
BigH said:
Why waste your money changing gear all te time, why not save up and buy something decent and keep it for ages. You won't get decent bass from 4" drivers.
Music and computers are my passion, like the professionel reviewers like steve Guttenberg (cnet) that has alot of speakers he can use, i only have 1 pair for my tv and 1 for my pc, i like trying alot of speakers,just feel having 2 pair for my pc is a shame, since i only listen to 1 pair and having 1 pair just collecting dust i would rather selv them after 2-3 weeks so they could be used to for listen to music.

I was at my local shop where i knew they had yamaha hs7, listen to dire straits, diana krall and sting from spotify, the speakers where close to a wall on stands.

Sound was good, slightly sparkle from the top which i think was because it was spotify and not tidal hifi, midrange sounded neutral with an okay stereo image, bass i feelt on some numbers hade a weak boost at a very low frequency (which surprised me since hs5 has not enough bass and hs8 almost to much).

Playing between low and medium high the speakers had no indication of being close to there spl limit so i could have my own little party.
My point is you could have bought a really decent pair of speakers if you had not kept changing them, too many people waste their money without getting much improvement. If you are using a computer then you can adjust the sound with an equaliser. Rooms also much a large difference.
 

gasolin

Well-known member
Mar 17, 2013
944
158
19,070
I might be able to, but not windows 10 and tidal hifi

I want to have eq neutral, because every adjustments like using an eq can change the sound quality in a negative way, not just more bass.

Especially the dynamic headroom can be changed with a loud bass, not bigger speakers or a more bassy amp, but eq adjustments, it can give more bass, them suddenly theres a big loud sound for a split second and theres clipping/distortion, because amp/speakers also have to play loud bass (i don't want pink floyd to sound like edm), if theres something that can drain an amp for power, it's bass, thats why really big home theater subwoofer can have 1000 watt or more, for midrange and especially the highs,treble you don't need 1000watt for the music to be loud enough.

What can be done is move the speakers closer to a wall/corner or buy speakers that can handle alot of power and at the same time have a good punchy bass.
 

MajorFubar

New member
Mar 3, 2010
690
3
0
Maybe it's the language barrier, but on the one hand you say you want accurate bass that isn't disproportionately boosted, but when people have suggested speakers that can deliver that kind of balanced sound (eg HS7), you said they were bass-light, while alternatives that do deliver more bottom end you say are too big. I think we're going round in circles.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts