Basic Mixer

ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
I have been looking for a simple mixer without success. Sometimes I need to produce electronic music at home using a computer, which is then played through active monitors via an audio interface. I also put a turntable through the monitors using a phono stage. I would like to get rid of the studio mixer, with eq and aux sends, and just plug both into a simple mixer. Two stereo inputs would be fine, or maybe three as one day I may get the cassette deck repaired; and one stereo output, preferably with xlr connectors. Does any forum member know if such a mixer exists?
Many thanks for any advice.

Gray

Have a look at the Behringer range of small mixers (and similar models from the likes of Soundcraft).
There was a time when low cost mixers guaranteed you hiss and / or hum, but times have changed.
Some of them include usb interfaces, decent mic preamps and good digital effects - for very reasonable prices.

It’s not really a Hifi ‘thing’, mixers, but a quick google of a store i have used turned up this. There are many permutations, but if you need some help I’d find a convenient music/pro shop rather than an Audio T or Sevenoaks.

Is this along the right lines, albeit no XLR output?

you are correct its not really hifi but I don't know where best to move it to so it can stay here....

ianstewart

Apr 3, 2020
Visit site
Many thanks for your replies, I appreciate it. The reason I posted my query on a hi-fi forum is because I know that the hi-fi world does not use aux sends and rarely eq. I was thinking of the days when I had a turntable, cassette player and radio plugged into an amplifier. The reason I don't want to get a hi-fi amplifier is because my monitors are powered and hi-fi amplifiers tend to colour the sound - in a good way of course.

Thanks for the link Nopiano, that is the sort of thing I am looking for providing I can find one that is professional studio quality for the audio interface.

As suggested, I think the only solution is a pro-audio studio mixer, which will of course, have pan, aux sends, eq etc.

Al ears, mixing in the digital domain is a possibility except it means using the computer to play a vinyl record or cassette.

We live in a small flat, otherwise I would have a good sized studio and an entirely separate hi-fi set-up.

Gray

The reason I don't want to get a hi-fi amplifier is because my monitors are powered and hi-fi amplifiers tend to colour the sound - in a good way of course.
Surely the reason you don't want to get an amplifier is because you don't need one due to having one in your speakers.....and that's why you're asking about a mixer.

But anyway, I wonder why you think a good amp should colour the sound any more than a mixer (on which the eq is often used to deliberately alter sound from neutral).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts