May 23, 2011
Visit site
Looking to combine:

* Onkyo TX-8220

* Q Acoustics 3020

* Pro-Jet Debut Carbon

* iTunes (via Windows PC / Bluetooth)

Thoughts?

As you’ve had no replies yet, I’ll make a few observations, bearing in mind I’ve not heard this combination.

The turntable is very good, so you’ll need a good collection of LPs to benefit fully. The cartridge can easily be upgraded to the Blue version, simply by changing the stylus. You don’t seem to need a CD player, correct?

If you need FM/DAB radio then the receiver should be ok. Personally I’d prefer Onkyo’s amp as it’s more audio oriented, that’s the the A 9010. However, your receiver will cope with Bluetooth from your PC, but the sound quality will be well behind the turntable.

The speakers are fine if they’re to your taste. I like them a lot. A very popular choice, though they are quite deep, so be sure they’ll fit where you are thinking of. They’ve been superseded so don’t pay more than £120, and try to hear the newer version first.

Lastly, go to your nearest Richer Sounds who carry all these brands, tell them your budget and see what the best sound is they can demonstrate.

insider9

I'd agree on the Onkyo, however I've listened to Onkyo + Q Acoustic combo thought it sounded really bad. I'm not a big fan of these speakers anyway, but really liked Onkyo. At around the same budget I'd look at Mission LX-2. However I've not heard that particular Misson model.

insider9 said:
I'd agree on the Onkyo, however I've listened to Onkyo + Q Acoustic combo thought it sounded really bad. I'm not a big fan of these speakers anyway, but really liked Onkyo. At around the same budget I'd look at Mission LX-2. However I've not heard that particular Misson model.

+1 on the LX2's with the Onkyo or even Elac Debut B6, although Missions appear the better 'all-rounder'.

I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the OP has auditioned any of his list. First off, I would look at a sound he likes with Q Acoustics. I heard the baby ones a few years ago with a Marantz - they sounded really good, but IMHO would sound even better with a really punchy, open amplifier -- something like a Rotel or one of the newer Arcams. Once the sound is established, he can look other built-in features such as streamers...

plastic penguin said:
I could be wrong, but it doesn't look like the OP has auditioned any of his list. First off, I would look at a sound he likes with Q Acoustics. I heard the baby ones a few years ago with a Marantz - they sounded really good, but IMHO would sound even better with a really punchy, open amplifier -- something like a Rotel or one of the newer Arcams. Once the sound is established, he can look other built-in features such as streamers...

I too was of the opinion that he hadn't actually auditioned anything but looked at his question as to 'looking to combine' i.e. would it work and offer what he was looking for and the answer was yes it would but it could probably be improved for the same sort of budget. Comments on a more suitable speaker was made without actually knowing anything about room size or placement but I think its a fair comment especially if he is going to use this setup in a typical UK room size.

As is common the OP is asking for our opinions based on very limited information. Perhaps he will come back with more details that would enable us to offer more appropriate replies.

kukulec

Jan 25, 2015
Visit site
hi, my experience is that from a small setup you can get the most with a proper integrated amplifier. the Onkyo TX-8220 is not one of those. if you don't want to spend a lot, i would go with an onkyo 9010 + mission lx2. if you can afford better items, i would buy a used rega brio-r / arcam 19 + dragonfly red or a cambridge cxa60 + a mission lx2.

gasolin

You could also go for speakers, a Onkyo A-9010 and a pair of Dynaudio Emit M10 or Q Acoustics concept 20

As suggested Cambridge Audio CXA60 it could also be used with the concept 20 or as i do the emit m10, the emit m10 when the music allows it, is a bit more punchy than the Mission LX-2's (but alot more expensive, all 3 speaker could be used with a £1000 amp like the Rega Elex R with no problems, thats how good they are)

gasolin

Al ears said:
gasolin said:
Sometimes you can't audition a speaker because of the distance

In that case I wouldn't buy them.... ;-)

Some shops in my country have 30 days where you can listen to the amp/speakers so you know if they match with your music taste and room.

Many online shops have a live chat that can help you chose what you want, if the shop is like 2 hours from where you live it's time consuming if you don't have a car and doing that 2-3 times you might spend on traveling to hifi shops what you save on the amp/speakers that you buy.

My amp and speaker combination (the latest i upgraded) i also couldn't hear together because the shop who sells cambridge don't have dynaudio, that would also be a problem, who want's to travel by bus,train 1-2 hours every time (each way) with a 15 pound amp or speakers ?

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I didnt audition my speakers or amp, i was using a marantz pm 57 which the right channel was starting to go and jamo d165 speakers so i pretty much knew the replacements would be better and the speakers were online buys but luckily it sounds good to me

audiogm

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to everyone who replied. I did just glue together a list of components that appear to be well reviewed. I have not heard them and don't intend to prior to purchase. I know that is akin to barbarism, but I am not an audiophile. I understand the advice "choose what sounds best to your ear", but my honest experience of that from the past is that "yes, I hear differences from A-B, but have difficulty discerning what better is." That is why my approach now is to buy well respected components that represent good value for money and would be considered by people in the know to provide reasonable quality audio reproduction. That's my goal, crude as the approach may be.

Summarising, there seems to be a general preference for Mission LX-2 over Q Acoustic 3020. Any dissenters to that opinion?

Someone commented that the Onkyo A-9010 would be better than the TX-8220 because the former is an integrated amplifier. I assumed there was little difference between them. Can anyone explain what that difference is?

Lastly, I've had other recommendations for the Rotel RA-10 or Marantz PM5005. Does anyone have a view on the quality of those versus the Onkyo options already mentioned?

Many thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
audiogm said:
Thanks to everyone who replied. I did just glue together a list of components that appear to be well reviewed. I have not heard them and don't intend to prior to purchase. I know that is akin to barbarism, but I am not an audiophile. I understand the advice "choose what sounds best to your ear", but my honest experience of that from the past is that "yes, I hear differences from A-B, but have difficulty discerning what better is." That is why my approach now is to buy well respected components that represent good value for money and would be considered by people in the know to provide reasonable quality audio reproduction. That's my goal, crude as the approach may be.

Summarising, there seems to be a general preference for Mission LX-2 over Q Acoustic 3020. Any dissenters to that opinion?

Someone commented that the Onkyo A-9010 would be better than the TX-8220 because the former is an integrated amplifier. I assumed there was little difference between them. Can anyone explain what that difference is?

Lastly, I've had other recommendations for the Rotel RA-10 or Marantz PM5005. Does anyone have a view on the quality of those versus the Onkyo options already mentioned?

Many thanks for the responses. I appreciate it.

This is the way that many people buy their equipment despite what you might read on here. It is a perfectly reasonable selection of product and will probably work fine if set up correctly in your room.

One or two points...

The A9010 is a relatively 'purist' budget integrated, the reciever however trades a bit of overall performance for the added facilities of radio and Bluetooth connection. If they are important to you then the reciever is the best bet.

If there is any chance, try to hear the 3020 against the LX2. A 10 minute dem will probably tell you which you prefer and, equipment wise. this is the biggest difference.

Finnally, setup, important that you are planning to use vinyl. Speakers really should be on stands if at all possible, this will make more difference than the choice of amplifier and you need to place and support the turntable correctly.

Proper setup will make more difference to the performance than spending a good few hundred on 'better' equipment, in my experience, something that few people seem to understand or bother with.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
I've brought under audition and blind and I've actually preferred the blind buys.

I'm not advocating buying without trying though and speakers in your room will make the most difference to the sound.

audiogm

May 23, 2011
Visit site
That's a really great point. It is difficult to transport your listening environment to the showroom, sans road crew.

I think it's fair enough that some people have responded with "what are you listening to? how will you listen? what is the room like?", which are presumably factors those people are constantly considering.

I think I have validated my original reasons for posting... are the components compatible, and do obvious upgrades exist at the same price point?

So again, I thank everyone who replied. I'll post my purchase decision when I've made it, and a photo link to the setup so everyone can poke holes in it :)

Cheers, Michael.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
I've brought under audition and blind and I've actually preferred the blind buys.

I'm not advocating buying without trying though and speakers in your room will make the most difference to the sound.
Expectation bias?.... Sounding better buying blind? *biggrin*

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts